6 Classes?

cshs81

Whether this is a good idea or not is irrelevant when the main issue that is on the states agenda should be the fact that an overwhelming majority of schools wanted to seperate publics and privates. This is an attempt at a band aid on a large wound.

Well, that may be why they are doing it, which to me is beside the point. I think six classes is a great idea for Kentucky football regardless. Look at the bright side, about three or four of the seven or eight schools that everyone is so tore up about will all be in the same class...there will always be excuses I guess.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that may be why they are doing it, which to me is beside the point. I think six classes is a great idea for Kentucky football regardless. Look at the bright side, about three or four of the seven or eight schools that everyone is so tore up about will all be in the same class...there will always be excuses I guess.

How exactly do we deal with the fact that we barely have enough schools playing football to allow 4 classes, let alone 6.

This was sent to the Board of Control because the coaches Advisory Committee voted, overwhelmingly, to go to 6 classes. The BOC will now vote on it. I would think it could go into effect for the 2007 season.

This has absolutley nothing to to do with the public/private issue, which I agree, isn't solved. Probably won't be. It is a numbers issue. The upper part of A and AAAA almost doubles the male enrollment of the bottom half of these divisions. Something needs to be done.

I know people say it will "water down" the state championships. Its hard for me to believe that any athlete or coach will feel less proud or work with less effort,for their state championship, because there are six classes.

I know people say it will "water down" the state championships. Its hard for me to believe that any athlete or coach will feel less proud or work with less effort,for their state championship, because there are six classes.

It isn't really a matter of the people involved feeling less proud as much as it is everyone else feeling it's less significant.

How exactly do we deal with the fact that we barely have enough schools playing football to allow 4 classes, let alone 6.

Kentucky doesn't have "barely enough" schools to have five classes. Kentucky has four large classes. Many states have classes with sub 40 schools in classes. Actually, the bigger the class, the less likely of a true champion. The more schools in a class the wider the range in school population. The smaller the class the better the equality. Look at boxing, i think that is the best comparison.

This was sent to the Board of Control because the coaches Advisory Committee voted, overwhelmingly, to go to 6 classes. The BOC will now vote on it. I would think it could go into effect for the 2007 season.

This has absolutley nothing to to do with the public/private issue, which I agree, isn't solved. Probably won't be. It is a numbers issue. The upper part of A and AAAA almost doubles the male enrollment of the bottom half of these divisions. Something needs to be done.

amen

The one concern I've heard from rural schools is that they're going to have to start traveling pretty far for games.

This will be the biggest complaint about increasing classes to six. The Louisville Area, Lexington, and NKY will be fine in that the have large enough populations. Teams in the rural parts of KY will become Road Warriors due to the long commutes to their competitors. Home field advantage will become an even greater advantage now.

I think this is a good idea. There is always going to be a gap between numbers and the teams with the lowest numbers in a class are going to be shafted but that will happen no matter what system. As far as the whole public/private thing goes.. it's a joke I think with a lot of assumed information. I could stand in the grocery line and read Star magazine or the Enquirer. I could then go out and spread everything I read on a message board and if I read it, it must be true! I see this Private schools recruit junk all the time. It's not like these coaches are hanging around middle schools or youth leauge games getting into the kids ear to get them to come to their school. If you do a little research on a team that was in the championship this year that wasn't a private school you would see that they have quit a few kids on their team that are not in their District but can leagally go to school there. If you look at some champs in the recent past then you will see that they had a lot of players from another state move over and play for them. The biggest misconception in the whole Private/Public thing to me is shear numbers. You have a couple of schools that are always going to have more numbers. The easiest way to close that gap is the 6 class system!

1. In 6A if the teams are going to complain about Trinity and X then that is fine but you won't get a lot of remorse because your numbers aren't far off from them. They will always have a numbers advantage but now that advantage isn't so big.

2. 5A The old schools that barely had enough to play 4 A will now be lumped in with a group that is similar to their school size. The small 4A and big 3A schools will be here which makes for some nice competition.

3. 4A I don't remember the numbers but I would say this group would be loaded with competition!

3. 3A now your small 3A schools and large 2A schools are in together. That should make for some nice competition between the small schools.

4. 2A This would take your bigger 1A schools and put them in with the small 2A schools. The little 2A schools should reap the benefits from this and make some of those programs much stronger. For the large 1A this should raise the bar some. Your rivalries that have teetered between the schools that move up to 2A and drop too 1A will now be intact.

5. 1A Schools that no matter how hard they worked didn't really have a chance, now have one! This could be a great thing for the small towns around KY! When your football team is rolling these small towns really come out to support. The effect this could have on small communities around the state could be HUGE IMO!

6. I agree that there could be some travel issues but I really think the positives outweight the negatives right now. I know that there are leaders in the coaches asscociation that are trying to keep moving KY High School Football in the best direction possible.

7. More teams make the playoffs which is a great thing. Kids have more to work for. This isn't an adult sport and some people need to realize that when you can motivate kids to do the right things and keep their time occupied with something like football instead of being out partying on Friday nights then that is a GOOD thing!

8. Gone are the days of the Districts with 5 teams and the other District of 9 teams! You talk about some AWSOME out of confrence games!!!! HUGE GATE MONEY!!! BIGTIME RIVALRIES CREATED! etc etc

This stuff is just off of my head but it seems like the positives far outweigh the negatives!

I think this is a good idea. There is always going to be a gap between numbers and the teams with the lowest numbers in a class are going to be shafted but that will happen no matter what system. As far as the whole public/private thing goes.. it's a joke I think with a lot of assumed information. I could stand in the grocery line and read Star magazine or the Enquirer. I could then go out and spread everything I read on a message board and if I read it, it must be true! I see this Private schools recruit junk all the time. It's not like these coaches are hanging around middle schools or youth leauge games getting into the kids ear to get them to come to their school. If you do a little research on a team that was in the championship this year that wasn't a private school you would see that they have quit a few kids on their team that are not in their District but can leagally go to school there. If you look at some champs in the recent past then you will see that they had a lot of players from another state move over and play for them. The biggest misconception in the whole Private/Public thing to me is shear numbers. You have a couple of schools that are always going to have more numbers. The easiest way to close that gap is the 6 class system!

1. In 6A if the teams are going to complain about Trinity and X then that is fine but you won't get a lot of remorse because your numbers aren't far off from them. They will always have a numbers advantage but now that advantage isn't so big.

2. 5A The old schools that barely had enough to play 4 A will now be lumped in with a group that is similar to their school size. The small 4A and big 3A schools will be here which makes for some nice competition.

3. 4A I don't remember the numbers but I would say this group would be loaded with competition!

3. 3A now your small 3A schools and large 2A schools are in together. That should make for some nice competition between the small schools.

4. 2A This would take your bigger 1A schools and put them in with the small 2A schools. The little 2A schools should reap the benefits from this and make some of those programs much stronger. For the large 1A this should raise the bar some. Your rivalries that have teetered between the schools that move up to 2A and drop too 1A will now be intact.

5. 1A Schools that no matter how hard they worked didn't really have a chance, now have one! This could be a great thing for the small towns around KY! When your football team is rolling these small towns really come out to support. The effect this could have on small communities around the state could be HUGE IMO!

6. I agree that there could be some travel issues but I really think the positives outweight the negatives right now. I know that there are leaders in the coaches asscociation that are trying to keep moving KY High School Football in the best direction possible.

7. More teams make the playoffs which is a great thing. Kids have more to work for. This isn't an adult sport and some people need to realize that when you can motivate kids to do the right things and keep their time occupied with something like football instead of being out partying on Friday nights then that is a GOOD thing!

8. Gone are the days of the Districts with 5 teams and the other District of 9 teams! You talk about some AWSOME out of confrence games!!!! HUGE GATE MONEY!!! BIGTIME RIVALRIES CREATED! etc etc

This stuff is just off of my head but it seems like the positives far outweigh the negatives!

Some really goods points made here. I am all for it, remember it is about the kids. :thumb:

A few positives:

1. More competitive.

2. Two more titles. which mean more money

3. Smaller districts, which result in better regular season games out of district. Which means more gate money for schools.

4. More schools (mostly class A, and AA will start football programs)

5. Opportunities for more teams to make playoffs, gives opport. for athletes to be seen. (College coaches hit the road during the playoffs.)

6. Opportunities for good assistants to have opportunities for jobs.

7. More communities thinking football.

Just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

I say LESS competitive.

How can it be less competitive?? In 2005 there were 217 schools with a football team in KY. with 4 classes, that is 55 per class. Each school had a 1.82% chance of winning it all. In a 6-class system, each school will have a 2.76% chance of winning the title. That means over 97% of the schools in each class won't win the championship, but each school in that class will be matched with schools on a similar level. To me that equals better competition, and more schools will get involved with football...as Tall Trees said, "It is about the kids!"

1. More competitive.
Debatable. Some classes will be. Some won't.

2. Two more titles. which mean more money
And a watered-down product.

3. Smaller districts, which result in better regular season games out of district. Which means more gate money for schools.
For every "good" matchup, there will be a "bad" one.

4. More schools (mostly class A, and AA will start football programs)
I would be curious to know which schools are going to start a football program because of the switch from four to six classes ... do you know of any?

5. Opportunities for more teams to make playoffs, gives opport. for athletes to be seen. (College coaches hit the road during the playoffs.)
More bad teams in the playoffs ... is that really needed?

As for players ... if a player is good enough, he is seen now. That's one of the best uses of game film.

6. Opportunities for good assistants to have opportunities for jobs.
Are there going to be any more jobs available than there are now?

7. More communities thinking football.
Again, what communities will be thinking about football that aren't already?

Have you seen the proposed Class A alignment? Beechwood, Louisville Holy Cross and Pikeville will have very little competition ... how a new class is going to improve programs like Fulton City, Jenkins and Berea escapes me.

If nearly every team makes the playoffs, it kind of diminishes the accomplishment of getting to the postseason.

but it seems like the positives far outweigh the negatives!
It may seem that way to you, but many of us would beg to differ.