Everything posted by Boomer34
-
Morgan County searching for a head football coach, Round 3
It sounds like a bad situation for the kids in West Liberty...What is the story behind these coaches taking the job and leaving before summer practice even starts...I've coached against these kids, and they are hard-nosed players...there's got to be a reason that these coaches are leaving...and I'm certain it's not the kids...
-
Russell vs. Fleming County Predictions
Both teams play well and are well coached...Russell is a better team and should win this one. It is on the road for them, so who knows...Expect a high-energy game... Russell 38 Fleming 21
-
Powell Co 16 Phelps 12
What do you mean a boost to the coaching staff? Powell Co. has had its fair share of adversity...I wouldn't say that the coaches are in need of a boost of any sort. They are working hard just like every other coaching staff. Just because their team gets off to a slow start doesn't mean they need people to pat them on the back and tell them it's ok.
-
Mason County at Morgan County Predictions
Coach Buchanan has the Royals playing very well. I don't know if Morgan will be able to keep it close without a few key players. I see Mason winning by 3 TD's.
-
Powell Co 16 Phelps 12
Congrats to Powell County. Phelps played much better Friday Night than they did in their opener. They had a running back (#24) that didn't play against Shelby Valley, but did against Powell. The Phelps boys play with their emotions on their sleeves, which can be good and bad. If they can contain that, they can improve. Powell has a lot to work on, but the potential is there. Good Luck to both teams throughout the season.
-
Prayers needed
Like raiderbback04 said, My heart sinks when I hear things like this...It is bad enough when it is any student, but for the Ashland faithful, it is part of their family...We as a family of High School Coaches and Players need to stick together in times like these. Remember, we can do ALL things through CHRIST who strengthens us! My thoughts and Prayers go out to everyone involved!
-
Bracken Co. Lady Bears
Thanks mcpapa!
-
14th Region Softball Teams
There will be teams that can play with Estill, but they are very talented and well-coached. I think that however far they go is totally dependent on them...Great teams have bad games, hopefully theirs won't take place in at a crucial point in the tournaments...on another note, Coach Faulkner has the Lady Pirates playing well. They can make a difference in the 14th...Keep an eye on them!
-
Bracken Co. Lady Bears
I don't get to go home that often, so I really haven't heard much about the Lady Bears this year. I know that Coach Persinger has developed quite a program and now that most of the girls that helped him get everything started have graduated, he still has plenty of talent because they have worked hard to develop their game. Even without Segille M., Hannah J. and Jessica F., they still have great team chemistry and solid numbers. It goes without saying that Coach P has done a tremendous job, so if anyone has any info on the team this year, I would appreciate it.
-
Fleming Co. Softball thoughts
Those are some ballsy comments...The Fleming Co. teams I remember from when they played my sister and the Bracken CO. Lady Bears, were solid teams...Is this when they were coached by Boling? If so, then this would be the first or second year for the new coach...so is it so bad that you aren't willing to give him a shot? In softball, if you have a lot of "good players" they can still win you some games despite who you have for a coach. I just wonder if your comments were fair for the new coach? If they are, then how about helping him with softball and get him to an acceptable level?? Just some thoughts...
-
Nicholas Co. Job
Any updates on this one?
-
Fastpitch: When Will They Move the Mound Back?
We both agree that it should be 43, but if were campaigning for the move to 43, I would not base it on more offense or making the game fun. If they don't think it is fun already then they don't need to play...it is a challenge to go up against a good pitcher...I know some kids these days don't like challenges, but I love them. So as far as the game being less fun because the pitching is dominant, I have to disagree with that. More offense will more than likely result in moving to 43', but as I said, my driving reason for doing so would be to prepare the girls for college...not just to spark some offense. I have enjoyed this little debate and as far as a pitcher bias, I have to say that it has very little to do with my opinion. It's like looking in the back of your math book for answers to the odd problems...if you are doing it for just the answer, it isn't helping you one bit, but if you are doing it to check your answer and make sure you've worked the problem correctly, then go for it...either way you are gonna get the right answer, but which one is actually "Getting" the right answer?
-
Fastpitch: When Will They Move the Mound Back?
How is moving it back to 43 feet an advantage for pitchers...it is a challenge...I believe you are totally misunderstanding me...I am in favor of moving the pitcher's plate back to 43...My REASONING for doing so would be only to prepare the girls for college...not to make the game "more interesting" to PEOPLE. If the kids love the sport, they will play it...who cares what the PEOPLE think, just like any other sport, it is about the kids, so if there is a way to improve a kids' chances for a smoother transition into college pitching, then that is why this should happen. If PEOPLE find baseball/softball to be boring, they should simply not watch it...What is a pitcher's goal??? When I pitched, my goal was to keep the other team from scoring...therefore, to any true baseball/softball player, a 1-0 game is doing your job, scoring more runs than you allow your opponents to score. I hope this clears the situation up...
-
Fastpitch: When Will They Move the Mound Back?
My point exactly! and about the 1-0 games, it is just the same as a 4-3 game...I was trying to emphasize that increasing the offense is not the reason to move the plate back...
-
Nicholas Co. Job
Thank you Mr. Hay. Your opinions are very highly regarded on BGP. Do you think that they would hire a young coach?
-
Fastpitch: When Will They Move the Mound Back?
If moving the plate back is to get HS pitchers ready for the next level I am all for it...however, if we are doing it just to get more offense going, then there is no way I would agree! Have we already forgotten that a great baseball/softball game can be 1-0? When I played baseball, if I was pitching and won 1-0 I was very happy. For one, you've got to stay on top of your game because a 2-RBI hit puts you behind...If you are up 11-0, you can put on the cruise control, which usually leads to a pitcher slacking off a bit...Like I said, if the move is to get these girls ready for potential college careers, go for it! But if it is just so the scorekeeper has more to do, then forget about it!
-
Nicholas Co. Job
Does anyone have any information about this job? I've been told that whoever takes over will have no where to go but up...I've played against Nicholas Co. teams and I know that the kids will try their best...Any word on candidates they are considering?
-
Preseason Mr. Football
Will the fact that he plans on playing football with the Fighting Illini have any impact on his votes?? I just wonder if Kentucky wants to keep their Mr. Football in Kentucky...Either way, I've seen him play, and he's a natural runner...I look for him to have a great season...will it be enough?
-
What role should players have in chosing a head coach?
I agree with keeping them up to date on the process, and even having a player representative on the "hiring committee" is fine. However, they should not have any vote in the matter...giving their opinion to the powers that be would be as far as it should go!
-
Western Hills Job Opening
When will this job be officially open/posted?
-
Henry Co Job is Open
So who has this one??
-
Rowan County Job
You are absolutely right, ChiefSmoke...And I think I need to make it clear that my dissatisfaction is not with Baldridge, but it lies with the decision makers...There is no one better to learn from than a coach that has been through the ins and outs of HS football...And the kids will learn from Coach Baldridge...my concern is what happens when he retires...The administration has made it clear that one of the assistants will have the job when Baldridge retires...Is that going to be a good decision for RC??
-
Rowan County Job
It is very sad to see a school make a decision based on monetary contributions and personal agendas...I dislike the fact that an administrator would rather satisfy the few rather than do what is right for the many. Oh, and Rowan had one of the top running backs last year and with the right coach, he was willing to move back from Bath...but no...let's hire a guy because he said he'd pass the ball...WHY?? Instead of having a coach with 3 state championship rings who has proven to be the kind of guy to build a program, a golf buddie is picked instead...Oh and I think there are numerous companies in Morehead that would have backed the football team...so just because one company threatens to pull funding if a certain coach is not hired doesn't mean that the future of the football team needs to be put on the back-burner...What is even worse is the fact that the person that made this mistake may not even see it until he is gone...For the players...don't give up...play hard and have fun...I just hope the administration gets things straight before Rowan is out of district for good!
-
Rowan County Job
I also heard Powell Co.'s coach was a finalist...Look at what he has done to turn the football team at Powell into a football program! I don't want to take anything away from Coach Baldridge, but for the sake of the players at RC, they need someone in place that can turn that team around, not just win games. They need structure and discipline and when you build a program, that is what you build it upon. Now it will be a few years before that can take place, that is if this debauchery doesn't happen again...There comes a time when pleasing the "politicians" needs to take a backseat. This is one of those times. Look at all of the great programs...they didn't just happen...they were built...I don't see politics getting in Ivan McGlone's way...I guess now I can see why a 3A school with plenty of talent was pulled from District...:confused: Sounds like a Big Mistake made by RC!
-
14th Region Softball Teams
I've seen Estill play against Bracken several times, and those girls know how to play! They should fare very well this year...Keep your eye on Powell County...lots of youth, but they have numbers...and they are ready to get goin'...Good Luck Ladies...hey smoothie!