Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fastpitch: When Will They Move the Mound Back?

Featured Replies

When will high school move the mound back to 43 feet? With the girls getting a)better instruction and b)getting bigger and stronger, 40 feet is TOO close and taking the fun out of the game.

 

Am I by myself on this or do others think it should go to 43?

Not a bad idea. You would create more offense with this kind of move. Right now it is pretty much a pitcher/catcher game. If you have a great duo, you can dominate most games. Are they pitching from 43' in college? If so, then I would be for considering it.

  • Author

College pitchers pitch from 43 feet.

Florida is trying 43 feet this year and there's been no great effect on the game -- neither batting averages nor ERAs have ballooned -- although some of the more mediocre pitchers have found it challenging. There's certainly no reason not to do it.

I say move the pitchers back to 83 feet, and let's get some offense into the game. Too much like soccer for my taste. Shorten the basepaths to 30 feet, and move the fence in to no more than 110 feet. Yea - that's the ticket.

 

 

Frances

A good pitcher has the advantage for sure

 

It seems that if a team has a great pticher, no matter how bad the rest of the team is, that team will still be in every game because the pitcher will get 12+ stikeouts.

It seems that if a team has a great pticher, no matter how bad the rest of the team is, that team will still be in every game because the pitcher will get 12+ stikeouts.

 

The game is currently primarily on the shoulders of the pitcher/catcher. If you have great ones, you absolutely should be in every game and if you face an average to below average pitcher, you should dominate those games. If you don't have good/great ones, you need to hope that the other team doesn't!

 

I have been thinking that moving the mound back to the college distance of 43' may be a good idea. When middle school pitchers are good enough in 7th & 8th grade to be some of the better pitchers in the state, (Becky Abner & Abby Sears from North Laurel come to mind who both were top notch from 7th grade up), then moving it back shouldn't be a problem for the pitchers.

 

I really do believe that it could add more offense to the game. Not a ton, but a few more hits/runs here and there could be a good thing.

If moving the plate back is to get HS pitchers ready for the next level I am all for it...however, if we are doing it just to get more offense going, then there is no way I would agree! Have we already forgotten that a great baseball/softball game can be 1-0? When I played baseball, if I was pitching and won 1-0 I was very happy. For one, you've got to stay on top of your game because a 2-RBI hit puts you behind...If you are up 11-0, you can put on the cruise control, which usually leads to a pitcher slacking off a bit...Like I said, if the move is to get these girls ready for potential college careers, go for it! But if it is just so the scorekeeper has more to do, then forget about it!

  • Author
If moving the plate back is to get HS pitchers ready for the next level I am all for it...however, if we are doing it just to get more offense going, then there is no way I would agree! Have we already forgotten that a great baseball/softball game can be 1-0? When I played baseball, if I was pitching and won 1-0 I was very happy. For one, you've got to stay on top of your game because a 2-RBI hit puts you behind...If you are up 11-0, you can put on the cruise control, which usually leads to a pitcher slacking off a bit...Like I said, if the move is to get these girls ready for potential college careers, go for it! But if it is just so the scorekeeper has more to do, then forget about it!

 

Why does it have to be a 1-0 game? Why not a 4-3 game? Wouldn't you still need to be on your toes? Would a 2-rbi hit still change the game?

 

You need to move it to 43 because the pitchers are simply getting too good with the training they are receiving. You are going to lose players who find 1-0 games boring.

 

Do high school boys pitch from 57 feet or do they pitch from 60'6 like they will in college?

Do high school boys pitch from 57 feet or do they pitch from 60'6 like they will in college?

 

My point exactly! and about the 1-0 games, it is just the same as a 4-3 game...I was trying to emphasize that increasing the offense is not the reason to move the plate back...

  • Author
My point exactly! and about the 1-0 games, it is just the same as a 4-3 game...I was trying to emphasize that increasing the offense is not the reason to move the plate back...

 

I guess we disagree. Its aleady a pitcher-dominated sport. Now you're giving the high school pitchers a big advantage that other sports do not give. In addition, kids get bored with 1-0 games . People complain about losing kids in baseball because they think its boring. This is worse.

 

I guess I would ask in regards to 43 feet: Why not?

Its aleady a pitcher-dominated sport. Now you're giving the high school pitchers a big advantage that other sports do not give. In addition, kids get bored with 1-0 games . People complain about losing kids in baseball because they think its boring. This is worse.

 

I guess I would ask in regards to 43 feet: Why not?

 

How is moving it back to 43 feet an advantage for pitchers...it is a challenge...I believe you are totally misunderstanding me...I am in favor of moving the pitcher's plate back to 43...My REASONING for doing so would be only to prepare the girls for college...not to make the game "more interesting" to PEOPLE. If the kids love the sport, they will play it...who cares what the PEOPLE think, just like any other sport, it is about the kids, so if there is a way to improve a kids' chances for a smoother transition into college pitching, then that is why this should happen. If PEOPLE find baseball/softball to be boring, they should simply not watch it...What is a pitcher's goal??? When I pitched, my goal was to keep the other team from scoring...therefore, to any true baseball/softball player, a 1-0 game is doing your job, scoring more runs than you allow your opponents to score. I hope this clears the situation up...

  • Author
How is moving it back to 43 feet an advantage for pitchers...it is a challenge...I believe you are totally misunderstanding me...I am in favor of moving the pitcher's plate back to 43...My REASONING for doing so would be only to prepare the girls for college...not to make the game "more interesting" to PEOPLE. If the kids love the sport, they will play it...who cares what the PEOPLE think, just like any other sport, it is about the kids, so if there is a way to improve a kids' chances for a smoother transition into college pitching, then that is why this should happen. If PEOPLE find baseball/softball to be boring, they should simply not watch it...What is a pitcher's goal??? When I pitched, my goal was to keep the other team from scoring...therefore, to any true baseball/softball player, a 1-0 game is doing your job, scoring more runs than you allow your opponents to score. I hope this clears the situation up...

 

You and I sound like we partially agree but are still having a communications issue.

 

Moving the mound back to 43 would give help to the batters - not the pitcher.

 

"Who cares what the PEOPLE think?" I agree. I'm talking strictly from the players' standpoint. Getting the talented girls to come out and stay involved at many schools is enough of a problem. Frustrating the hitters by giving them a lesser chance of success in a game that is already dominated by the pitcher will cause many to get frustrated or will prevent many from coming out. The power schools are the exception. They don't have issues with numbers. Other schools do. Top athletes are opting out or staying out.

 

1-0 games to purists and to pitchers may be fine. To KIDS who are not the pitcher and who want to enjoy the game on both offense and defense, its an issue.

 

Is your "pitcher" bias coming out?;)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.