Shame on the KHSAA - Central Hardin Lady Bruins Bowling Team

In February, the Central Hardin Lady Bruins won the team bowling state championship at Collins-Eastland in Lexington, beating Harrrison County in 5 games. With this win, as well as setting state records for baker high game of 267 and baker high 2 game series of 491, they qualified for the National High School Bowling Championships in Smyrna TN June 24th and 25th. Because the KHSAA mandated dead period starts on June 25th, they are unable to play in this tournament as a representative of Central Hardin High School, cannot wear any clothing that suggest that they represent Central Hardin (which they do), and cannot have any coaches present for the singles matches on Sunday, June 25th. A petition was denied by the KHSAA for a reason unknown to me at this time. Denying these ladies the opportunity to represent their school on a national level and to be recognized as possible national champions by another name other than Central Hardin High School is a travesty. The KHSAA should be ashamed of themselves for letting beaurocracy get in the way of the human spirit and the opportunity to be called Central Hardin Lady Bruins, National Champions. I wonder how the KHSAA would approach this if the Lady Bruins just happen to win this tournament? Would they try to capitalize on this by selling merchandise that stated "CENTRAL HARDIN LADY BRUINS, NATIONAL CHAMPIONS? Would they ever be recognized in KHSAA record books for this feat?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KHSAA has had some missteps. But this is a travesty. This team should pursue this as a Title IX infraction. December 17,2001 Title IX ruled against Michigan State Law for discriminating against girls Title IX Equal Protection Clause and State Athletic Associations were ruled against forcing girl's sports teams to compete in disadvantageous seasons and the purchase of uniforms not identifying with their high school.

KHSAA has had some missteps. But this is a travesty. This team should pursue this as a Title IX infraction. December 17,2001 Title IX ruled against Michigan State Law for discriminating against girls Title IX Equal Protection Clause and State Athletic Associations were ruled against forcing girl's sports teams to compete in disadvantageous seasons and the purchase of uniforms not identifying with their high school.

I know dead period is in place for good reason but limiting the bowling team really??

I didn't realize that year round bowling was such a concern. We have one kid at Fern Creek that is on the football, bowling, track, and cross country teams, pretty sure bowling is the least time consuming of his sports, I will have to ask him.

That's not right for those kids

I definately think the KHSAA should have given them a waiver, but I don't see how this is a Title IX violation. Allowing a girl's sports team to play during dead time and not any boy's teams could be viewed as reverse discrimination.

I could be wrong, and I usually am, but I think the disadvantageous seasons means giving the boys a better season. For instance, allowing the boys to play basketball in the winter, but making the girls play in the spring when the boys are done. The dead time is equally applied to all.

There are exceptions to every rule, and I think a common sense exception would be to allow any team the opportunity to participate on a national level.

I could be wrong but I highly doubt that the KHSAA would make or sell any merchandise that says anything about Central Hardin being national champions. I don't see that happening at all. With it not being a KHSAA event I'm not sure why they would put it in their record books either. I'm pretty sure when Shelby Valley boys basketball team was named national champs or when Trinity football team was named national champs that the KHSAA didn't recognize or acknowledge it. It doesn't have anything to do with the KHSAA. I'm thinking KHSAA doesn't acknowledge any All A tournament winners.

I wish they had granted the team a waiver to compete representing their school but IMO that shouldn't stop them from competing in the tournament at all. The way the initial post reads it seems like they can compete they just can't wear anything that has their school name on it. I'm sure they can do that pretty easily. The biggest issue to me is not being allowed to have coaches present but with modern technology these days I'd say there are ways around that as well. Again, I definitely think they should have gotten a waiver to compete representing their school. It's a once a lifetime opportunity for these girls. At the same time, if my kid was on that team I'd be one of the parents leading the charge that this decision by the KHSAA wouldn't stop us from competing. We'd roll in with some light blue UCLA Bruins shirts while showing the matches on Facebook Live. Word up.

How could Hardin spin this to Title IX? Your example is not at all related to this case.

Since it's not a KHSAA event I doubt they would do anything if they win. And there's nothing they could do if the girls show up at the tourney, with a parent coaching the team, and the real coach happily watching in the stands. It's not even close to a title IX issue because the dead period rule is being applied equally. It does suck they can't technically compete as CH, but they can absolutely be there and still enjoy the experience of competing at the national level.

Since it's not a KHSAA event I doubt they would do anything if they win. And there's nothing they could do if the girls show up at the tourney, with a parent coaching the team, and the real coach happily watching in the stands. It's not even close to a title IX issue because the dead period rule is being applied equally. It does suck they can't technically compete as CH, but they can absolutely be there and still enjoy the experience of competing at the national level.

The coach can't be in the stands unless he has a kid on the team.

If im a parent on the team, I would gladly volunteer to "Coach". I would have my team wear their shirts but maybe put black tape over the Central. Common sense should prevail but it wont bc adults are mostly idiots. If I am a senior on this team, youve already graduated so whats the big deal to play. If I am the coach I am coaching then dealing with whatever repercussions may follow.

That seems heavy handed. Bowling is listed as a "Sports Activity" on their website, along with Competitive Cheer, Archery, and Bass Fishing. From the KHSAA Mission Statement, "... regulate and progressively administer..." Heavy on the first / light on the second.

http://khsaa.org/httpdocs/strategicplan/20122017/B-VisionandMissionStatement.pdf

Makes it hard on event organizers too. They risk losing sanctioning by the NFSHSA if participants aren't in compliance with state association guidelines. We're not the only state this backwards, but wouldn't it be great to give our kids and schools some national exposure?

In the past, nationally ranked St. X and Assumption cross country teams have had to enter the Nike Cross Nationals under bogus "track club" status. Happens with gifted individuals in other sports too.

Just a bad look. I'm surprised by nothing out of Lexington anymore.

Keep us posted on the tourney results @Hardin County Preps

Good luck Lady Bruins! Represent CH and Kentucky.

Edited by Runcible Owl