Shame on the KHSAA - Central Hardin Lady Bruins Bowling Team

Got to be honest...if you are doing archery and don't have your own equipment, targets and practicing on your own, then you probably aren't going to the nationals anyway, at least not as a competitor.

Well, you would be wrong. I coached an elementary school team 2 years, and helped with a middle school team last year. Went to nationals all 3 years and to worlds once. Could have gone to worlds all 3 but it's typically far off. most of the kids on our teams have their own bows but not targets and not really any where to practice.

Their are a few archery shops around that have a range but only a few lanes. With every school in Henderson having a team and a lot of schools in Evansville space is a premium.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you would be wrong. I coached an elementary school team 2 years, and helped with a middle school team last year. Went to nationals all 3 years and to worlds once. Could have gone to worlds all 3 but it's typically far off. most of the kids on our teams have their own bows but not targets and not really any where to practice.

Their are a few archery shops around that have a range but only a few lanes. With every school in Henderson having a team and a lot of schools in Evansville space is a premium.

Here's a question.

If there are sports that play for a "national" championship and that championship may fall in the KHSAA mandated dead period, why would the powers that be in that sport have petitioned for KHSAA sanctioning? If you want to compete for those things and they are outside KHSAA mandates then don't apply for inclusion.

As far as bowling, Central Hardin is far from the only Kentucky school involved. Apollo, Daviess, Graves, McCracken, Boyle, Taylor and West Jessamine all have teams. Several other schools have individuals.

And it is NOT nationals in which the best of the best are there. More than 20 states are NOT represented. It is called Nationals, nut is more of a regional tournament with a few other states thrown in. Plus, their qualifying standarda got more and more lax while they tried to get their competitor numbers up. You have kids competing at "Nationals" who didn't exactly cut it at State ... why?

As far as archery, going to Nationals and Worlds ain't that big a deal, hard to accomplish or even that expense. Both of those tourneys are in Louisville (or used to be) or within driving distance in Nashville.

There are several schools in my hometown which didn't do well at State, yet went to nationals and worlds. What sense does that make?

The KHSAA is not about the kids and their success on the field. There is no fairness involved when it comes to the KHSAA. What other states let schools of 1,100 students compete against schools of 200 students in the same district in not just basketball but five other sports? What governing body doesn't have a backup plan for weather and cancels an entire event at a state track meet, denying the kids a chance to compete? There is no such thing as fairness anymore in Kentucky high school sports. They could make an exception like they did in moving the long-held tradition of playing the Sweet 16 on Saturday and moving it to Sunday. Or changing the format of the state baseball tournament to a two-weekend event. But they won't. They will cite tradition and history and fairness, none of which applies anymore.

It's a shame, because they could show everyone that they have the best interest of kids in mind but will once again blow it.

At first I agreed with the sentiment of the original post, that is, shame on the KHSAA for not doing a waiver for this. However, after reading this thread and thinking about it, I have done a 180 on the subject. This "national championship" doesn't have a thing to do with KY high school sports. It occurs during the dead period when school teams cannot officially compete. That's the rule, so be it. There is nothing keeping the team from competing, so they can still go do it if they want to. The KHSAA was right in not doing a waiver, all that would do is open a Pandora's box of waiver requests. With that said, I hope the teams goes and has success.

As far as bowling, Central Hardin is far from the only Kentucky school involved. Apollo, Daviess, Graves, McCracken, Boyle, Taylor and West Jessamine all have teams. Several other schools have individuals.

And it is NOT nationals in which the best of the best are there. More than 20 states are NOT represented. It is called Nationals, nut is more of a regional tournament with a few other states thrown in. Plus, their qualifying standarda got more and more lax while they tried to get their competitor numbers up. You have kids competing at "Nationals" who didn't exactly cut it at State ... why?

As far as archery, going to Nationals and Worlds ain't that big a deal, hard to accomplish or even that expense. Both of those tourneys are in Louisville (or used to be) or within driving distance in Nashville.

There are several schools in my hometown which didn't do well at State, yet went to nationals and worlds. What sense does that make?

I will agree that Worlds isn't as big a deal but completely disagree with you on Nationals. You have to shoot a qualifying score at your state tournament to have the opportunity to go to Nationals and even then it doesn't guarantee you a spot. The KY teams just usually go because it's so close.

Worlds has not been in Louisville. It use to be in Orlando every year. They started moving it around a few years ago. The 2 closest places it's been to here is Nashville in 2015 and St. Louis in 2013. This year it's back in Orlando.

If they grant the bowling waiver how long before a basketball coach asks for a waiver to play in a "national" tournament run by the AAU or a baseball coach or volleyball coach. If you grant one you have to grant them all. Dead Period is and should be rigidly enforced. The "it hurts the kids" argument is a red herring. Maybe they'll be disappointed but they'll get over it. Adults are allowed to tell kids no, even if it may hurt their feelings.

If they grant the bowling waiver how long before a basketball coach asks for a waiver to play in a "national" tournament run by the AAU or a baseball coach or volleyball coach. If you grant one you have to grant them all. Dead Period is and should be rigidly enforced. The "it hurts the kids" argument is a red herring. Maybe they'll be disappointed but they'll get over it. Adults are allowed to tell kids no, even if it may hurt their feelings.

Agree.

So, if all these athletes can compete and practice during the dead period, I assume the dead period is for the coaches since they can not coach? So, can a football team get together and do conditioning at the local park and run through the playbook. As long as they are not on school grounds or a high school coach isn't on the field, everything else legal?

So, if all these athletes can compete and practice during the dead period, I assume the dead period is for the coaches since they can not coach? So, can a football team get together and do conditioning at the local park and run through the playbook. As long as they are not on school grounds or a high school coach isn't on the field, everything else legal?

To an extent, yes, that would be OK. But if any players are wearing T-shirts (that the boosters or the team had a hand in designing or ordering or buying) or if the team is linked to getting the word out (twitter/facebook), then it would become a violation.

Easier said then done, especially when any post can be saved in social media.

To an extent, yes, that would be OK. But if any players are wearing T-shirts (that the boosters or the team had a hand in designing or ordering or buying) or if the team is linked to getting the word out (twitter/facebook), then it would become a violation.

Easier said then done, especially when any post can be saved in social media.

Care to share where I may find the bolded? I have a hard time seeing this.

So, if Tommy QB gets on Twitter and tweets out to Billy and Joe WR, Sam TE, Justin and Timmy RB and 5 guys on the OL, and says "5:00 at the park, going over our passing plays", that's illegal? If that's the case I see in no way is that enforceable nor can a coach be held accountable for that.

So, if Tommy QB gets on Twitter and tweets out to Billy and Joe WR, Sam TE, Justin and Timmy RB and 5 guys on the OL, and says "5:00 at the park, going over our passing plays", that's illegal? If that's the case I see in no way is that enforceable nor can a coach be held accountable for that.

I think he means if they use the official team page/account to do it. I don't see how it would be a big deal if the players did it individually on their personal pages.

I think as long as it isn't perceived as mandatory or team organized.