Death to the BCS- What this year's playoffs should look like!!!

born2reign

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And more players might go to a Arkansas stat if they knew they had a chance to get in the playoffs.

I absolutely agree with this. The system is set up so that only a few teams matter and it's deliberately tiered to make it as difficult as possible to move up the chain. That's not how it should be.

Michigan can't even win its division, losing to the eventual champion Michigan State and sits at home during the conference title game, but there they are, in the Sugar Bowl. It was actually beneficial to them to have lost to Michigan State earlier in the year.

College football... where every game counts!

That's how I would do it. Maybe have LSU play Stanford, then the two winners square off. I think it would be a simple fix and you could still retain the whole bowl system (BCS, Sugar, etc. all the way down to the Meineke Car Car Bowl) - it would just add an extra weekend of games.

Yep. I could live with adding a fourth.

No idea how Virginia Tech got an at large bid looking the way they did last night against Clemson. I think that Clemson is a decent team, but no way IMO that two teams from the ACC should be playing in the top bowl games.

Agreed.

No idea how Virginia Tech got an at large bid looking the way they did last night against Clemson. I think that Clemson is a decent team, but no way IMO that two teams from the ACC should be playing in the top bowl games.

Getting to the national championship game is about putting together a solid schedule and then dominating it. Getting to a BCS Bowl (so long as you are in an AQ conference) is about putting together a schedule of patsies and rolling it. VaTech's non-conference opponents: Appalachian State, East Carolina, Arkansas St., Marshall. They have exactly ZERO wins over teams currently ranked in the top 25.

To my mind, Boise St. and Kansas St. both have better claims as teams with solid overall seasons but, like VaTech, failed to win their conference.

Getting to the national championship game is about putting together a solid schedule and then dominating it. Getting to a BCS Bowl (so long as you are in an AQ conference) is about putting together a schedule of patsies and rolling it. VaTech's non-conference opponents: Appalachian State, East Carolina, Arkansas St., Marshall. They have exactly ZERO wins over teams currently ranked in the top 25.

To my mind, Boise St. and Kansas St. both have better claims as teams with solid overall seasons but, like VaTech, failed to win their conference.

Va Tech didn't win their conference. They got steamrolled. They won their division. Big difference in my opinion. No way they should've made it over Boise St or Kansas State. Heck, Houston has more top 25 wins than they did (no, I do not think Houston should be in over them, just stating facts).

I'm 100% for the playoff system, but no reason to include Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Northern Illinois, TCU and Southern Miss...

Why?

A 16 team play is no good, an 8 team playoff would be the best thing. You take the 6 conference champions from the BCS conferences, and then have two at larges. So teams like a Boise could make it, or an Bama who could make it still even though they didn't win the conference championshp.

You have the first round of the playoffs the week after the season ends with the top 4 seeds having their games at home. Then you get your normal few week break, and play the semi finals in two BCS bowls that rotate every year, and then the next week is the Championship. This way the season still means something because the only way to guarntee you make the playoffs is winning your conference, but it also gives a small school a shot like Boise. It also allows all the other bowls to be in place still. Best of all it lets it be settled on the field.

A 16-team playoff would be near impossible. I just don't see the coaches and everybody else agreeing with it because of the amount of additional games it would add to the season.

The only way I see this as viable is if they started playing fairly early after the season ended instead of this long layoff they have. Maybe give them a week off after the conference championships end and then start the playoff would be the best bet.

With this being said, I would not give the current non-AQ conferences bids to the playoff. In the end, the best teams from the those conferences will present themselves and if they are good enough to go undefeated with their schedule or 1 loss to a fairly good team then they should be considered. How did we recognize TCU and Boise State? Because they ran through their schedules unblemished and did it in fashion. If a team does that, then you should give them consideration of making the playoffs.

I'm actually in favor of the Plus-1 system as really only the top 5 teams have a realistic shot at winning the National Title (I believe the biggest jump ever was from Notre Dame when they went from #6 to #1). Plus-1 would have LSU vs. Stanford and Alabama vs. Oklahoma State aho have been talked about as National Title Contenders the entire year and would all be deserving. I don't know someone could say someone like Southern Mississippi from a non-AQ conference who had 3 losses could be deserving and thats why I prefer having a smaller number of playoff teams as opposed to a larger number.

Every year, the BCS does this to us. They make us disparage one team in the name of another or have a hypothetical posed that does not need to be thought of. I started a thread back during the NCAA basketball tourney that I am rehashing it.

Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter and Jeff Passan co-wrote Death to the BCS. It is a great book outlining why we can and should have a college football playoff.

It is a great read with too many details to get into here, but they put together a model for a playoff system for football. This year's controversy has caused me to bring this thread back, so to speak. If it happened, here is what it would look like.

16 team playoff- bowl championship division conference champs get an automatic bid (11 automatic bids- ties settled by head to head result, 3 way ties by higher BCS standing) with 5 at-large bids (which I will concede to the top 5 non conference winners in the BCS poll). I decided seeding.

Gator Bowl Bracket

1. LSU (SEC Champ) vs 16. Arkansas St. (Sun Belt Champ)

8. Boise St. (MWC at large) vs. 9. Kansas St. (Big 12 at large)

Fiesta Bowl Bracket

4. Oregon (Pac 12 Champ) vs 13. Southern Miss (Conference USA Champ)

5. Stanford (Pac 12 at large ) vs 12. West Virginia (Big East Champ)

Outback Bowl Bracket

2. Alabama (SEC at large) vs 15. Louisiana Tech (WAC Champ)

7. Arkansas (SEC at large) vs 10. TCU (Mountain West Champ)

Cotton Bowl Bracket

3. Oklahoma St. (Big 12 Champ) vs 14. Northern Illinois (MAC Champ)

6. Wisconsin (Big 10 Champ) vs 11. Clemson (ACC Champ)

Gator Bowl Bracket winner plays Fiesta Bowl Bracket winner in Final Four in the Orange Bowl. Outback Bowl Bracket winner plays Cotton Bowl Bracket winner in Final Four in the Rose Bowl. Semi-final winners meet in championship game in the Sugar Bowl. Higher seeds get home game for the first round (so, the regular season means a lot!). Final Four played in the BCS Bowl Game stadiums and the championships rotates just as it does now and would be in New Orleans this year.

Oh man, what could have been (and could be)!

I like it. Exactly what should be. By the way Houston is ranked #19 by the BCS so no they don't deserve to be in.