Death to the BCS- What this year's playoffs should look like!!!

born2reign

Every year, the BCS does this to us. They make us disparage one team in the name of another or have a hypothetical posed that does not need to be thought of. I started a thread back during the NCAA basketball tourney that I am rehashing it.

Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter and Jeff Passan co-wrote Death to the BCS. It is a great book outlining why we can and should have a college football playoff.

It is a great read with too many details to get into here, but they put together a model for a playoff system for football. This year's controversy has caused me to bring this thread back, so to speak. If it happened, here is what it would look like.

16 team playoff- bowl championship division conference champs get an automatic bid (11 automatic bids- ties settled by head to head result, 3 way ties by higher BCS standing) with 5 at-large bids (which I will concede to the top 5 non conference winners in the BCS poll). I decided seeding.

Gator Bowl Bracket

1. LSU (SEC Champ) vs 16. Arkansas St. (Sun Belt Champ)

8. Boise St. (MWC at large) vs. 9. Kansas St. (Big 12 at large)

Fiesta Bowl Bracket

4. Oregon (Pac 12 Champ) vs 13. Southern Miss (Conference USA Champ)

5. Stanford (Pac 12 at large ) vs 12. West Virginia (Big East Champ)

Outback Bowl Bracket

2. Alabama (SEC at large) vs 15. Louisiana Tech (WAC Champ)

7. Arkansas (SEC at large) vs 10. TCU (Mountain West Champ)

Cotton Bowl Bracket

3. Oklahoma St. (Big 12 Champ) vs 14. Northern Illinois (MAC Champ)

6. Wisconsin (Big 10 Champ) vs 11. Clemson (ACC Champ)

Gator Bowl Bracket winner plays Fiesta Bowl Bracket winner in Final Four in the Orange Bowl. Outback Bowl Bracket winner plays Cotton Bowl Bracket winner in Final Four in the Rose Bowl. Semi-final winners meet in championship game in the Sugar Bowl. Higher seeds get home game for the first round (so, the regular season means a lot!). Final Four played in the BCS Bowl Game stadiums and the championships rotates just as it does now and would be in New Orleans this year.

Oh man, what could have been (and could be)!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year, the BCS does this to us. They make us disparage one team in the name of another or have a hypothetical posed that does not need to be thought of. I started a thread back during the NCAA basketball tourney that I am rehashing it.

Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter and Jeff Passan co-wrote Death to the BCS. It is a great book outlining why we can and should have a college football playoff.

It is a great read with too many details to get into here, but they put together a model for a playoff system for football. This year's controversy has caused me to bring this thread back, so to speak. If it happened, here is what it would look like.

16 team playoff- bowl championship division conference champs get an automatic bid (11 automatic bids- ties settled by head to head result, 3 way ties by higher BCS standing) with 5 at-large bids (which I will concede to the top 5 non conference winners in the BCS poll). I decided seeding.

Gator Bowl Bracket

1. LSU (SEC Champ) vs 16. Arkansas St. (Sun Belt Champ)

8. Boise St. (MWC at large) vs. 9. Kansas St. (Big 12 at large)

Fiesta Bowl Bracket

4. Oregon (Pac 12 Champ) vs 13. Southern Miss (Conference USA Champ)

5. Stanford (Pac 12 at large ) vs 12. West Virginia (Big East Champ)

Outback Bowl Bracket

2. Alabama (SEC at large) vs 15. Louisiana Tech (WAC Champ)

7. Arkansas (SEC at large) vs 10. TCU (Mountain West Champ)

Cotton Bowl Bracket

3. Oklahoma St. (Big 12 Champ) vs 14. Northern Illinois (MAC Champ)

6. Wisconsin (Big 10 Champ) vs 11. Clemson (ACC Champ)

Gator Bowl Bracket winner plays Fiesta Bowl Bracket winner in Final Four in the Orange Bowl. Outback Bowl Bracket winner plays Cotton Bowl Bracket winner in Final Four in the Rose Bowl. Semi-final winners meet in championship game in the Sugar Bowl. Higher seeds get home game for the first round (so, the regular season means a lot!). Final Four played in the BCS Bowl Game stadiums and the championships rotates just as it does now and would be in New Orleans this year.

Oh man, what could have been (and could be)!

No reason to include the Sun Belt and WAC. Houston is better than half the teams you have listed.

No reason to include the Sunbelt and WCC. Houston is better than half the teams you have listed.

Then, Houston should win their conference.

This system provides the "little guy" their opportunity. WAC, Sun Belt and MAC champs have a shot- similar to the NCAA basketball tourney.

Then, Houston should win their conference.

This system provides the "little guy" their opportunity. WAC, Sun Belt and MAC champs have a shot- similar to the NCAA basketball tourney.

Football and Basketball are completely different. If there's going to every be a playoff, it won't include teams like Arkansas St.

If there's every a playoff it'll use something very similiar to the BCS and rank the top so many teams. It's a lot easier for the 'little guy' to pull off an upset in basketball than in football. One player can take over a game in basketball, much harder to do in football.

Football and Basketball are completely different. If there's going to every be a playoff, it won't include teams like Arkansas St.

If there's every a playoff it'll use something very similiar to the BCS and rank the top so many teams. It's a lot easier for the 'little guy' to pull off an upset in basketball than in football. One player can take over a game in basketball, much harder to do in football.

When the BCS started, who would have thought that those games would include the likes of Boise St, TCU, Utah or Hawaii? Who would have thought that Utah, Boise St. and TCU would win BCS games when the BCS started? Who would have thought, when the BCS started, that Boise St. would have more BCS wins than Florida St., or that Utah would have more BCS wins than Notre Dame?

Would I like Arkansas St.'s chances against LSU? No. That is not the reason to keep out a team that plays at the same level. If you do not want Sun Belt, WAC or MAC teams in the playoff, put them in the FBS. As long as they are in the FCS, I see no reason why we would not give conference winners automatic bids and then seed them. We see that this model produces a ton of excitement in other sports and it can be replicated in football.

When the BCS started, who would have thought that those games would include the likes of Boise St, TCU, Utah or Hawaii? Who would have thought that Utah, Boise St. and TCU would win BCS games when the BCS started? Who would have thought, when the BCS started, that Boise St. would have more BCS wins than Florida St., or that Utah would have more BCS wins than Notre Dame?

Would I like Arkansas St.'s chances against LSU? No. That is not the reason to keep out a team that plays at the same level. If you do not want Sun Belt, WAC or MAC teams in the playoff, put them in the FBS. As long as they are in the FCS, I see no reason why we would not give conference winners automatic bids and then seed them. We see that this model produces a ton of excitement in other sports and it can be replicated in football.

There's a big difference between Arkansas St. and Boise St, TCU and Utah.

There's a big difference between Arkansas St. and Boise St, TCU and Utah.

Would you have said that in 1998, when the BCS started? These teams have had an opportunity- and we have seen their programs grow as a result of it. Arkansas St. deserves the right to build their program as much as any other team. Just like the a fore mentioned schools, they would be able to take advantage of the system and build.

I don't know...because they suck. LSU would beat any of those teams by 50.

I do not think any of those teams win the whole thing, don't get me wrong. We have seen upsets in football. These teams won their division in the FCS, so I think they deserve a shot. I also do not think the big boys would complain since they get one more home game and the revenue that comes with it.

And that TCU teams that "sucks" would probably win the Big East this year, JMO.

What it should look like if you expand it:

Oklahoma State vs. Alabama

Winner vs. LSU

That's how I would do it. Maybe have LSU play Stanford, then the two winners square off. I think it would be a simple fix and you could still retain the whole bowl system (BCS, Sugar, etc. all the way down to the Meineke Car Car Bowl) - it would just add an extra weekend of games.