I Hope Sarah Palin Runs

How is it the same? Do you believe he truly thought there are 57 states?

For someone that wasn't born in America, perhaps he didn't. (that's a joke)

My point is that I don't understand why someone would hold this over Palin's head, or why someone would hold 57 states over Obama's, or potato(e) over Dan Quayle's. These types of things reveal nothing about what kind of President an individual might be. Of course, Palin's stubborn pride & refusal to admit a mistake is stupid; but the initial gaffe is common, as RM pointed out.

There are a thousand reasons I'd never vote for Obama...57 states isn't one of them. There are a thousand reasons I'd never vote for Palin...Paul Revere isn't one of them.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys want me to shed a little light on Paul Revere? According to my tour guide in Boston on last Thursday (who gave a fantastic tour by the way) He told us the real story of Paul Revere while we were standing in the Grainery (spelling) Cemetery where he is buried...

Paul Revere was somewhat of a Renaissance man in his time, having many trades. He was definitely a patriot, however he wasn't as extremely well known during his lifetime (such as John Adams, Sam Adams, George Washington, John Hancock, Ben Franklin, and etc.) as it seems he was because of the story we know today. He definitely played a roll on his midnight ride, however he wouldn't have become famous for it if it wasn't for many years later when Longfellow decided to use his story for propaganda to get young men to join the Union in the Civil War. Something along the lines of, "You can go from a common man to a hero, just like Paul Revere from this poem if you join the Union". If it wasn't for Longfellow's poem, we very well wouldn't know Paul Revere to be the hero that we know him as.

Two men set out on horseback that night and headed separate directions. Paul Revere and a man (can't remember his first name, Henry maybe) Dawes. A third eventually joined the cause and road to warn people as well, but I was never told his name. As Paul Revere rode from town to town, he did so in secrecy, knocking on doors and warning individuals one by one. A common misconception was that he would yell, "The British are coming, the British are coming." This isn't true, because technically at the time they were all British because they hadn't won their independence, but also because many British Regulars would already be lodged in those towns. He wouldn't have wanted them to know he was going around doing this.

He was eventually caught and probably would have been hung if the British regulars didn't hear gunshots in the background and decided to let him go, for some reason. There are probably more facts to the story than that, but this was the story that was told by our tour guide and he seemed extremely knowledgeable, more than just reading from a script. Paul Revere was certainly a hero, but not in his time...it wasn't until Longfellow's poem until he was truly considered one in American History.

Sorry for the book, just the only time I can really put together a good post in the P&R forum and wanted to take full advantage of it lol

Even if it was, in the slightest bit, historically accurate, Palin didn't know it. You can tell by her bumbling answer to a question most 6th graders could answer.

Typical of liberals to ignore the truth or facts, even when she has the backing of college professors. How could she just stumble onto a statement like that?

The hate for her must run deep.

Another truth stares liberals in the face, but they will not do the right thing and demand that Weiner step down.

Immorality runs deep with liberals.

My point is that I don't understand why someone would hold this over Palin's head, or why someone would hold 57 states over Obama's, or potato(e) over Dan Quayle's. These types of things reveal nothing about what kind of President an individual might be. Of course, Palin's stubborn pride & refusal to admit a mistake is stupid; but the initial gaffe is common, as RM pointed out.

There are a thousand reasons I'd never vote for Obama...57 states isn't one of them. There are a thousand reasons I'd never vote for Palin...Paul Revere isn't one of them.

C'mon...when that happened with Obama, it was a big bruhaha. And it continues to be brought up everytime Palin gaffes, as evidence that the "poor" Palin isn't the only one. She's no victim. And if she'd just flippin' admit that she misspoke, I think it would all go away. But to keep insisting that she's correct is where she gets busted. Even if there's a core of truth in her statement, she's messed it up so badly now she just needs to admit she's screwed it up and then make sure it doesn't happen again.

Typical of liberals to ignore the truth or facts, even when she has the backing of college professors. How could she just stumble onto a statement like that?

Another truth stares liberals in the face, but they will not do the right thing and demand that Weiner step down.

Hate, no. Amusement bordering on incredulity most every time she opens her mouth, absolutely. Disbelief that a chunk of the American voting public is serious about this intellectual lightweight as a POTUS candidate, absolutely again.

PS - We have a whole 'nother thread on the Weiner the world awaited.

I don't hate Sarah Palin at all. I hope she runs and wins the Republican nominee. She is deserving, IMO.:D

As for Weiner....as is the case during these types of scandals no one supports the offender. At least not publicly and he is usually forced to resign. Save for maybe Bill Clinton. Wiener will be an afterthought soon.

Hate her? No. She's not worth that much effort on my part. Loathe her? At times. Cringe at the fact that so many feel that this woman is a good representative of not only what they want their politics to be, but of what the feel a strong, viable female presidential candidate should be? Yes.

You guys want me to shed a little light on Paul Revere? According to my tour guide in Boston on last Thursday (who gave a fantastic tour by the way) He told us the real story of Paul Revere while we were standing in the Grainery (spelling) Cemetery where he is buried...

Paul Revere was somewhat of a Renaissance man in his time, having many trades. He was definitely a patriot, however he wasn't as extremely well known during his lifetime (such as John Adams, Sam Adams, George Washington, John Hancock, Ben Franklin, and etc.) as it seems he was because of the story we know today. He definitely played a roll on his midnight ride, however he wouldn't have become famous for it if it wasn't for many years later when Longfellow decided to use his story for propaganda to get young men to join the Union in the Civil War. Something along the lines of, "You can go from a common man to a hero, just like Paul Revere from this poem if you join the Union". If it wasn't for Longfellow's poem, we very well wouldn't know Paul Revere to be the hero that we know him as.

Two men set out on horseback that night and headed separate directions. Paul Revere and a man (can't remember his first name, Henry maybe) Dawes. A third eventually joined the cause and road to warn people as well, but I was never told his name. As Paul Revere rode from town to town, he did so in secrecy, knocking on doors and warning individuals one by one. A common misconception was that he would yell, "The British are coming, the British are coming." This isn't true, because technically at the time they were all British because they hadn't won their independence, but also because many British Regulars would already be lodged in those towns. He wouldn't have wanted them to know he was going around doing this.

He was eventually caught and probably would have been hung if the British regulars didn't hear gunshots in the background and decided to let him go, for some reason. There are probably more facts to the story than that, but this was the story that was told by our tour guide and he seemed extremely knowledgeable, more than just reading from a script. Paul Revere was certainly a hero, but not in his time...it wasn't until Longfellow's poem until he was truly considered one in American History.

Sorry for the book, just the only time I can really put together a good post in the P&R forum and wanted to take full advantage of it lol

Actually the bolded is not true, from Longfellow's perspective anyway. The poem was written just prior to the Civil War so was not intended for "yankee propoganda."

Longfellow was inspired to write the poem after visiting the Old North Church and climbing its tower on April 5, 1860. He began writing the poem the next day.[2] It was first published in the January 1861 issue of The Atlantic Monthly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Revere%27s_Ride_(poem)

While all considered themselves subjects of the British crown, most would have understood the term "the British are coming," to mean a threat from soldiers who were not colonists like themselves. (I guess Lobsterbacks would have been too hard to yell :D)

The three men were Revere, Dawes and Prescott.

Most tour guides are great but I've learned to not take them all as "all knowing." I was on a downtown tour in Charleston, SC a few years ago and the guide tried to explain that John C. Calhoun was a signer of the Declaration. I told him later I rememer Calhoun as a VP and Senator who supported Secession. He said, "Must have been his Father I was speaking about." :lol:

(BTW, that's not true)

Have you got a link to those college professors? I've not seen any. Doesn't mean there aren't any but I'd love to see their names, their opinions on this and their credentials. :thumb:

As to how she could just stumble into a statement like that? Well that's easy. Just make it up as you go and tell it in such a way that you convince yourself you know what you're talking about, even if your words betray that thought. :thumb:

C'mon...when that happened with Obama, it was a big bruhaha. And it continues to be brought up everytime Palin gaffes, as evidence that the "poor" Palin isn't the only one. She's no victim. And if she'd just flippin' admit that she misspoke, I think it would all go away. But to keep insisting that she's correct is where she gets busted. Even if there's a core of truth in her statement, she's messed it up so badly now she just needs to admit she's screwed it up and then make sure it doesn't happen again.

This is just going to be a my opinion vs. yours, but 57 states in no way, shape or form got the attention that Paul Revere is getting.

And I absolutely agree that Palin needs to admit the mistake, which is why I said "Palin's stubborn pride & refusal to admit a mistake is stupid."

Hate her? No. She's not worth that much effort on my part. Loathe her? At times. Cringe at the fact that so many feel that this woman is a good representative of not only what they want their politics to be, but of what the feel a strong, viable female presidential candidate should be? Yes.

Change "her" to "him", "she" to "he", "woman" to "man", "female" to "male" & I could make the same post about President Obama.

So what Palin spoke was factual? You believe that? At the very best, she is inarticulate. At the worst, she's clueless.

And I won't even attempt to tackle your broad-brushed painting of liberals as immoral. Be careful who you're labeling, pal.

Change "her" to "him", "she" to "he", "woman" to "man", "female" to "male" & I could make the same post about President Obama.

And that's fair. I just have a really strong aversion to women who do what I feel is set back the accomplishments of real prospects that may be out there. I'm not adverse to a conservative, Republican, female candidate. Maybe it's just me, but I feel strongly that many women have worked very, VERY hard to overcome stereotypes and bias toward women as leaders. You want a candidate I admire and would give great consideration in electing? Try Condaleeza Rice. Give me something with substance, because just because a woman is pretty, can hunt like a man and "roughed it" in Alaska doesn't mean squat to me. I want what comes out of her mouth to reflect the substance in the grey matter between her ears.

:thumb: