Ryle signs contract to play Colerain, OH in 2011 and 2012

You are a 100% correct.

If Colerain is going to be a consistent contender in Ohio --they have to be able to throw the ball--and not just on 3rd and long.

Every once in a great while ... Colerain will have a team like 2004--that is simply so much more talented than everyone else. But even then, I would say that they threw the ball a little more (but the true difference then still may have been the defense anyway).

And while we are talking about "next level" ... lets remember .... for Colerain--their "next level" would be "national power" ... so--just to clarify--teams like Colerain can get away with it when they play teams that are not as talented. (Especially when it comes to running the option--which most teams will only see that one time during the year).

I think that this is an important point that needs to be addressed ... if you are going to beat teams that are just as good (or especially better than you are) you have to be balanced--and you have to play great defense. For the life of me ... it makes no sense to just run or just pass 95% of the time. (Especially passing teams that are in the shotgun on the 2 yard line). You have to be able to do both--and you have to be able to stop teams that can do both.

:thumb:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Colerain is going to be a consistent contender in Ohio --they have to be able to throw the ball--and not just on 3rd and long.

And while we are talking about "next level" ... lets remember .... for Colerain--their "next level" would be "national power" ... so--just to clarify--teams like Colerain can get away with it when they play teams that are not as talented. (Especially when it comes to running the option--which most teams will only see that one time during the year).

Interesting. So Colerain is not a consistent contender in Ohio? Still struggling to get to the "elite" status, are they?

Maybe you need to take a longer look at the teams Colerain plays on a year in and year out basis and see how they have fared against them. Colerain has done very well with their one-dimensional offense against the best Cincy/Ohio has to offer for many years. They do not "get away with it" only when they play teams less talented.

BTW, your bias against Ryle is laughable.

Interesting. So Colerain is not a consistent contender in Ohio? Still struggling to get to the "elite" status, are they?

Maybe you need to take a longer look at the teams Colerain plays on a year in and year out basis and see how they have fared against them. Colerain has done very well with their one-dimensional offense against the best Cincy/Ohio has to offer for many years. They do not "get away with it" only when they play teams less talented.

BTW, your bias against Ryle is laughable.

Ha, ha! If you want to call it bias ... so be it.

It is more like being realistic.

I also don't think that there is bias in the fact that I like Colerain a lot better than I like Ryle. Here in a America ... we are allowed to decide which team we like better ... and for me ... in this case it is Colerain.

The truth be told .. I could care less (one way or the other) about Ryle. And I don't think that I am biased by thinking that these games don't help Ryle.

I do think that you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that this (games against Colerain) addresses the issue of getting to the next level.

Where I come from, consistent means every year. Granted, Ohio is a completely different beast than Kentucky--but I am 100% certain that getting to the 3rd round or the semi-finals of the playoffs is not acceptable for the Cole'Train in any manner. (And like last year--not making it all). I would also venture to say that Colerain does not consider that to be playing at the highest level.

I am also pretty sure that Colerain's ultimate goal is to be competitive on a higher level than just beating the teams in Cincinnati/Ohio. I would venture to say that they are working hard to be a NATIONAL power .. not just a local one.

As far as Colerain being one dimensional ... I am pretty sure I spoke to that as well. Why is it so hard to realize that a team can be good (like Colerain) and still not realize their full potential because they have become extremely predictable (and this is also happening while the game--and especially the athletes are changing). Could you honestly look anyone in the eyes and tell them that Colerain wouldn't be better with a passing game? For real?

I just don't buy the fact that this is a good game for Ryle. They are going to play a team that does not give them a taste of what they will need to work on late in the playoffs in KY. (I do agree that trying to run against the Colerain defense will have some value--but that will be minimized if they don't have a sustained, successful passing game). Otherwise .... I will stick to my original point .... the only thing that Ryle gets out of this is a good pay day.

Quickslick, you seem to feel strongly that Ryle will get nothing (other than a financial benefit) out of playing Colerain. Here's a question: would any team in KY get anything out of playing Colerain?

Yes probably an embarrassing beat down!

I'm amazed at the lack of respect for Ohio football or maybe its just ignorance. I could make a strong argument that in a year (2009) Colerain doesn't make the playoffs in Ohio, they would have won the State Championship at the 5A or 6A level in Kentucky. I wish I could puff out my chest and boast we play a higher level of football here in KY, but I know better.

Congratulations to Ryle for having the courage to schedule a game like this but I agree, Ryle will probably most likely only get a nice payday out of the whole experience.

I also don't think that there is bias in the fact that I like Colerain a lot better than I like Ryle. Here in a America ... we are allowed to decide which team we like better ... and for me ... in this case it is Colerain.

The truth be told .. I could care less (one way or the other) about Ryle. And I don't think that I am biased by thinking that these games don't help Ryle.

I do think that you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that this (games against Colerain) addresses the issue of getting to the next level.

Where I come from, consistent means every year.

I just don't buy the fact that this is a good game for Ryle. They are going to play a team that does not give them a taste of what they will need to work on late in the playoffs in KY. (I do agree that trying to run against the Colerain defense will have some value--but that will be minimized if they don't have a sustained, successful passing game). Otherwise .... I will stick to my original point .... the only thing that Ryle gets out of this is a good pay day.

I don't want to know where you come from....other than Cal. De La Salle, name a consistent football program by your defintion. Even Highlands takes a break every few years from a State Title...

Ryle plays Colerain in week 2...How does this have any effect on the teams they play in the playoffs?? That is an obsurd comment to say this game does not help, for that reason. I have great respect for Ohio football but it is usually not reciprocal. To have an opportunity to take down a "power" in Cincinnati is a big deal for a program who has aspirations of becoming great.

Ryle is playing Colerain for exposure. They are playing them for a chance to be recognized. They are playing them to see big time players with size and speed to the caliber of D1 athletes. Not simply fot a paycheck.

Ryle's 2010 campaign should be there best ever. In 2011, Elliot will be a senior. In 2012 they are potentially reloading again...Ryle most definitely will receive criticism for scheduling Colerain in back2back years. Even if they do get beat a zillion to seven (Guru's prediction), it will provide them a measuring stick of where they need to be and what they want to become!!

Where I come from, consistent means every year. Granted, Ohio is a completely different beast than Kentucky--but I am 100% certain that getting to the 3rd round or the semi-finals of the playoffs is not acceptable for the Cole'Train in any manner. (And like last year--not making it all). I would also venture to say that Colerain does not consider that to be playing at the highest level.

I am also pretty sure that Colerain's ultimate goal is to be competitive on a higher level than just beating the teams in Cincinnati/Ohio. I would venture to say that they are working hard to be a NATIONAL power .. not just a local one.

As far as Colerain being one dimensional ... I am pretty sure I spoke to that as well. Why is it so hard to realize that a team can be good (like Colerain) and still not realize their full potential because they have become extremely predictable (and this is also happening while the game--and especially the athletes are changing). Could you honestly look anyone in the eyes and tell them that Colerain wouldn't be better with a passing game? For real?

I am sure that Coach Warner tried to get in touch with you to see what you thought about scheduling Colerain, but couldn't find you due to you being extremely busy with your consulting gig in HS Football scheduling. I'm sure that you are held in high regard with your invaluable scheduling expertise across the river; we will leave it to our Head Coaches. The truth of the matter is... if Coach Warner sees value in scheduling these types of teams, he will do it. I'd be willing to bet, he brings more knowledge and experience to the game of football than you (of course... just my opinion).

As for your statement, in an earlier post, of Ryle needing to be more CONSISTENTLY balanced offensively. Again sounds like just an opinion without any factual information to back it up.

Passing:

Hempel- 1894yds 18 TDs

Total team- Roughly 2000yds

Rushing:

Elliott- 1558 24 TDs

Team- Roughly 2750yds

2008 Stats are similar in percentage.

Hummm...Seems kind of Balanced.

My only regret is that it is not this year. I would love to see Ryle's "unbalanced offense" and Conner Hempel throw against Colerain's superior defense.

Look... I know that Colerain is a Great Team with an outstanding history and I would never try to minimalize that. I just don't get why some feel such heart burn about the methods that coaches take to improve their programs.

My "bias" remark has to do with other posts you've made in the past regarding Ryle. It has nothing to do with who you think will win these games. I think Colerain will win also.

No one has ever claimed the these games single-handedly "address the issue of getting to the next level." It is part of a process, not the sum total of the process.

By all means tell us where you come from that "consistent" means every single year? Even the best have an occasional off year every now and then. You'd have a hard time convincing many people that Colerain doesn't qualify as "consistent".

As far as them playing to be a national power, they already do that. Since there doesn't exist a high school playoff system nationally, an Ohio state championship is a pretty solid goal, especially when you consider that year in and year out some of the top teams in the country come from Cincinnati and Ohio. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that the GCL was rated the #1 high school conference in the country - teams that Colerain tends to play (and beat) on a regular basis.

And your claim that you need a balanced offense to reach your ultimate potential is silly. There are plenty of teams that are extraordinarily successful using a pass-first system, as there are elite teams using a run-first system. You have no way of proving Colerain would be better served to move towards more passing - maybe it would hurt their run game. Maybe not.

So if Colerain is not a good choice for Ryle since: 1) apparently Ryle doesn't deserve to be on the field and only benefit is the cash; and 2) it because Colerain is not a clone of either Trinity or St. X, who would be your recommendation that they should play? Perhaps it would be much smarter for Ryle to schedule Dayton Belmont or Scott for some of those non-district games? Now there's a solid test for your team to help them prepare for a postseason run.

If Elliot and Fennel were on the same team, Elliot would have started over him...as a freshman. If he had run behind the "Great OL" of Highlands (and they were great BTW) he would have put up equal numbers to what he did with Ryle...with fewer carries. Who has Highlands got coming back next year that is even in the same ballpark? Hopefully Dale doesnt have Elliot's phone number....

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Colerain has held much better backs to totals much lower than their average.

I am sure that they will respect Elliott ... but I am also sure that he isn't going to be the one that breaks that trend.

I think that your lack of respect for Colerain is laughable ... and truth be told--it would probably do you better not to pull the respect card here.

Truth of the matter is, Colerain sees better players in practice.

I guess Ryle should be praised for scheduling a tough game. However, I find the arguments of this helping Ryle to get to the next level to more than a little unrealistic.

If Ryle truly wanted to get to the next level, they would learn to be more balanced (offensively) on a CONSISTENT basis. You are not going to win a state championship by running the ball all of the time (and you aren't going to win it passing the ball all of the time either).

As I stated before ... I think that this game has very little to do with helping Ryle get to the next level. Each team gets something out of it:

1. Colerain hopes to get Harbin points.

2. Ryle gets a nice financial gain.

That is where the story starts and stops.

Really my lack of respect for Colerain? Well clearly you didn't read my post where I said Colerain is the favorite or you just omitted that.

Edited by John Anthony

I am sure that Coach Warner tried to get in touch with you to see what you thought about scheduling Colerain, but couldn't find you due to you being extremely busy with your consulting gig in HS Football scheduling. I'm sure that you are held in high regard with your invaluable scheduling expertise across the river; we will leave it to our Head Coaches. The truth of the matter is... if Coach Warner sees value in scheduling these types of teams, he will do it. I'd be willing to bet, he brings more knowledge and experience to the game of football than you (of course... just my opinion).

As for your statement, in an earlier post, of Ryle needing to be more CONSISTENTLY balanced offensively. Again sounds like just an opinion without any factual information to back it up.

Passing:

Hempel- 1894yds 18 TDs

Total team- Roughly 2000yds

Rushing:

Elliott- 1558 24 TDs

Team- Roughly 2750yds

2008 Stats are similar in percentage.

Hummm...Seems kind of Balanced.

My only regret is that it is not this year. I would love to see Ryle's "unbalanced offense" and Conner Hempel throw against Colerain's superior defense.

Look... I know that Colerain is a Great Team with an outstanding history and I would never try to minimalize that. I just don't get why some feel such heart burn about the methods that coaches take to improve their programs.

Ryle 2009

Team Total Stats

8 - 4 Record (wins - losses)

444 Points Scored

308 Points Allowed

2800 Total Rushing Yards

2156 Total Rushing Yards Allowed

1804 Total Passing Yards

1615 Total Passing Yards Allowed

By my math ... that is 60% rushing yardage/40% passing yardage (you didn't give the entire picture here). I would agree that there is more balance than what I have alluded to.

When you compare attempts (rushing versus passing) things start to change a little more. Out of 636 plays ... Ryle passed 220 times. That puts things a little closer to 65% to 35% run/pass. So ... you may want to give the full story next time.

As far as your other comments .. .they are not really worth a response. The last time that I checked ... this was a message board where we are free to give our opinions. I am pretty sure that any coach who cares what someone writes on a message could probably spend their time on something better.

In closing ... your comments about my "consulting" gig are laughable .... and I am sure that there are more than a few people who would agree!

My "bias" remark has to do with other posts you've made in the past regarding Ryle. It has nothing to do with who you think will win these games. I think Colerain will win also.

No one has ever claimed the these games single-handedly "address the issue of getting to the next level." It is part of a process, not the sum total of the process.

By all means tell us where you come from that "consistent" means every single year? Even the best have an occasional off year every now and then. You'd have a hard time convincing many people that Colerain doesn't qualify as "consistent".

As far as them playing to be a national power, they already do that. Since there doesn't exist a high school playoff system nationally, an Ohio state championship is a pretty solid goal, especially when you consider that year in and year out some of the top teams in the country come from Cincinnati and Ohio. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that the GCL was rated the #1 high school conference in the country - teams that Colerain tends to play (and beat) on a regular basis.

And your claim that you need a balanced offense to reach your ultimate potential is silly. There are plenty of teams that are extraordinarily successful using a pass-first system, as there are elite teams using a run-first system. You have no way of proving Colerain would be better served to move towards more passing - maybe it would hurt their run game. Maybe not.

So if Colerain is not a good choice for Ryle since: 1) apparently Ryle doesn't deserve to be on the field and only benefit is the cash; and 2) it because Colerain is not a clone of either Trinity or St. X, who would be your recommendation that they should play? Perhaps it would be much smarter for Ryle to schedule Dayton Belmont or Scott for some of those non-district games? Now there's a solid test for your team to help them prepare for a postseason run.

con⋅sist⋅ent

  /kənˈsɪstənt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuhn-sis-tuhnt] Show IPA

Use consistent in a Sentence

See images of consistent

Search consistent on the Web

–adjective

1. agreeing or accordant; compatible; not self-contradictory: His views and actions are consistent.

2. constantly adhering to the same principles, course, form, etc.: a consistent opponent.

3. holding firmly together; cohering.

4. Archaic. fixed; firm.

As far as Colerain goes, I think that you could have made your argument (to a certain extent) until the 2009 season.

When you bring other teams into the mix (Highlands) you are going to find very few years where they are not competing for a championship (even in those off years).

Due to the competition alone, Colerain isn't competing for a championship every single year. And I am pretty certain (whether you said it or someone else did) that Colerain is not playing for a national championship every year. With a more balanced offense (with the type of weapons that they have) I feel like they would compete on a National level. Consistent, in my point of view, means putting many of those years back to back. There is one state championship at Colerain (2004). You guys can argue all you want but you can't make up championships that didn't happen.

Again--coop .. whether it is you or not--there are plenty of people on here who have praised Ryle for taking this step because the coach there wants to win a championship. All you have to do is read the thread to see that there are more than a few Ryle people who tried to make that point. I see it differently.

There are numerous games that Ryle could have scheduled outside of Colerain that would have been a better option. Ryle could have found many Ohio teams that are more comparable with Ryle (Princeton, Lakota West, Middletown, Indian Hill, Wyoming, etc). Heck, Ryle could have played many Kentucky teams (not Scott--but that one just showed your inability to debate in a logical manner). Ryle could play teams like Male, Manual, Henry Clay, Central, Lex Cath, LCA (yes--LCA), etc, etc.

I just don't think you take games that will be nearly impossible to win and you don't take games that will not prepare you for the teams that you could face in the state championship. I learned that from one of the best coaches in the history of this state .... but I am sure that some of you would argue that point.

In closing ... here is a final point ... Highlands beat St. X this year ... which was a great win for their program. But ... look what they lost out of the deal ... a pretty solid QB if my memory serves me correctly. I also believe that one of their other key players (who was already nicked up) came out of the game more nicked up. Highlands had great depth--which helped them to overcome those losses. Most other teams wouldn't have overcome that situation.

As far as my other posts concerning Ryle ... if you say so ... it must be true I guess. Please for give me that I don't rise and fall at the sight of Black and Silver. The silver spoon that I was born with must have been a fake .... :ohbrother:

I don't want to know where you come from....other than Cal. De La Salle, name a consistent football program by your defintion. Even Highlands takes a break every few years from a State Title...

Ryle plays Colerain in week 2...How does this have any effect on the teams they play in the playoffs?? That is an obsurd comment to say this game does not help, for that reason. I have great respect for Ohio football but it is usually not reciprocal. To have an opportunity to take down a "power" in Cincinnati is a big deal for a program who has aspirations of becoming great.

Ryle is playing Colerain for exposure. They are playing them for a chance to be recognized. They are playing them to see big time players with size and speed to the caliber of D1 athletes. Not simply fot a paycheck.

Ryle's 2010 campaign should be there best ever. In 2011, Elliot will be a senior. In 2012 they are potentially reloading again...Ryle most definitely will receive criticism for scheduling Colerain in back2back years. Even if they do get beat a zillion to seven (Guru's prediction), it will provide them a measuring stick of where they need to be and what they want to become!!

Ummm ... I am pretty sure that your second and third paragraphs contradict each other. (With the exception of the first sentence of the third paragraph).

The constant theme in this thread has centered on the fact that Ryle was trying to elevate their program. You elevate your program with championships (and there are plenty of Ryle people who have already attested to that in this thread).

Seriously ... if Ryle gets beat a zillion to seven (and I trust that TheGuru knows what he is talking about) .. what kind of exposure does that bring them? I have a feeling that I already know.

I follow your logic about as much as you follow mine. Which ... to me is fine. I just find it hard to believe that this is a good move for Ryle (other than financially).

All of us have stated our opinions here ..... more than a few times. I, for one, am willing to wait for 2011 and 2012 to see how it turns out.

I think they would have kept AC at WR and Elliot would have been the RB.

Moving a senior Division I athlete out of the position where he is going to get the most touches for even a very good sophomore is not something Dale Mueller would have done.

If Elliot and Fennel were on the same team, Elliot would have started over him...as a freshman. If he had run behind the "Great OL" of Highlands (and they were great BTW) he would have put up equal numbers to what he did with Ryle...with fewer carries. Who has Highlands got coming back next year that is even in the same ballpark? Hopefully Dale doesnt have Elliot's phone number....

You are making huge assumptions...and ignoring many facts.

Elliot is and has been an I formation TB most of the time.

Highlands uses a shotgun split back or single back formation most of the time; most of Highlands's running plays start off with the running back moving laterally, not downhill as most I formation plays require of the TB.

Fennel was not quite as big as Elliot and maybe not as straight ahead fast, but he has better lateral quickness; therefore, he fit into the Birds' system better than Elliot would have.

Mueller is a excellent at running an offense that fits the skills of ALL of his offensive weapons; he certainly wouldn't have lined up in the I just to fit the skills of a sophomore running back or replaced an upper classmen that fits his offensive system beter.