Ryle signs contract to play Colerain, OH in 2011 and 2012

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we agree he would have been a backup....

and getting far fewer opportunities than he did at Ryle.

Well he didn't have any injuries all year so he would have had his chance. Who knows what type of numbers he could have put up in their system. Elliott out rushed and had more TD's than Collinsworth but played in one more total game. That is not bad for a soph in comparison to a Mr. Football candidate. People are selling too low on Elliott.

Here is what I am wondering, why is this seen as bad? Every year we read multiple threads about how no one in 6A will step and try to complete with the elite teams, and thusly not being able to compete with Trinity and St. Xavier. Now, a team is stepping up and strengthening their schedule trying to prepare for playoff games versus Trinity and St. Xavier and it seems that everyone is saying it is a bad move. I don't see it, they are stepping up and trying to prepare for big playoff games, hats off to them, they may lose, but they are going to play the game and will benefit from it.

Edited by Ram

Well he didn't have any injuries all year so he would have had his chance. Who knows what type of numbers he could have put up in their system. Elliott out rushed and had more TD's than Collinsworth but played in one more total game. That is not bad for a soph in comparison to a Mr. Football candidate. People are selling too low on Elliott.

Assuming he would have played ahead of Fennel, which is not a given, he wouldn't have come close to his numbers at Ryle because of many fewer opportunities.

Elliot was the system at Ryle; Highlands spreads the ball to all their weapons.

Ryle didn't play X.

Highlands blows most teams out.

Comparing numbers doesn't include the entire picture...

Elliot was a very good sophomore high school running back; let's let him be himself and develop as well as he can rather than drawing comparisons to seniors who have earned Division I scholarships; no one knows what the future holds for the kid.

Assuming he would have played ahead of Fennel, which is not a given, he wouldn't have come close to his numbers at Ryle because of many fewer opportunities.

Ryle didn't play X.

Elliot was a very good sophomore high school running back; let's let him be himself and develop as well as he can rather than drawing comparisons to seniors who have earned Division I scholarships; no one knows what the future holds for the kid.

If Elliot and Fennel were on the same team, Elliot would have started over him...as a freshman. If he had run behind the "Great OL" of Highlands (and they were great BTW) he would have put up equal numbers to what he did with Ryle...with fewer carries. Who has Highlands got coming back next year that is even in the same ballpark? Hopefully Dale doesnt have Elliot's phone number....

Ryle didn't play X.

People can give him respect if they want. But he will give Colerain all they want.

Here is what I am wondering, why is this seen as bad? Every year we read multiple threads about how no one in 6A will step and try to complete with the elite teams, and thusly not being able to compete with Trinity and St. Xavier. Now, a team is stepping up and strengthening their schedule trying to prepare for playoff games versus Trinity and St. Xavier and it seems that everyone is saying it is a bad move. I don't see it, they are stepping up and trying to prepare for big playoff games, hats off to them, they may loose, but they are going to play the game and will benefit from it.

I agree. Like I said early in one of my posts. If they would have scheduled X or T everyone in the state would have been saying that it is a great move.

So what is the difference in them scheduling Colerain as opposed to X or T?

People can give him respect if they want. But he will give Colerain all they want.

Colerain has held much better backs to totals much lower than their average.

I am sure that they will respect Elliott ... but I am also sure that he isn't going to be the one that breaks that trend.

I think that your lack of respect for Colerain is laughable ... and truth be told--it would probably do you better not to pull the respect card here.

Truth of the matter is, Colerain sees better players in practice.

I guess Ryle should be praised for scheduling a tough game. However, I find the arguments of this helping Ryle to get to the next level to more than a little unrealistic.

If Ryle truly wanted to get to the next level, they would learn to be more balanced (offensively) on a CONSISTENT basis. You are not going to win a state championship by running the ball all of the time (and you aren't going to win it passing the ball all of the time either).

As I stated before ... I think that this game has very little to do with helping Ryle get to the next level. Each team gets something out of it:

1. Colerain hopes to get Harbin points.

2. Ryle gets a nice financial gain.

That is where the story starts and stops.

I guess someone should tell Colerain that if they want to get to the "next level" they better become more balanced. lol

You are a 100% correct.

If Colerain is going to be a consistent contender in Ohio --they have to be able to throw the ball--and not just on 3rd and long.

Every once in a great while ... Colerain will have a team like 2004--that is simply so much more talented than everyone else. But even then, I would say that they threw the ball a little more (but the true difference then still may have been the defense anyway).

And while we are talking about "next level" ... lets remember .... for Colerain--their "next level" would be "national power" ... so--just to clarify--teams like Colerain can get away with it when they play teams that are not as talented. (Especially when it comes to running the option--which most teams will only see that one time during the year).

I think that this is an important point that needs to be addressed ... if you are going to beat teams that are just as good (or especially better than you are) you have to be balanced--and you have to play great defense. For the life of me ... it makes no sense to just run or just pass 95% of the time. (Especially passing teams that are in the shotgun on the 2 yard line). You have to be able to do both--and you have to be able to stop teams that can do both.