Ryle signs contract to play Colerain, OH in 2011 and 2012

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are making huge assumptions...and ignoring many facts.

Elliot is and has been an I formation TB most of the time.

Highlands uses a shotgun split back or single back formation most of the time; most of Highlands's running plays start off with the running back moving laterally, not downhill as most I formation plays require of the TB.

Fennel was not quite as big as Elliot and maybe not as straight ahead fast, but he has better lateral quickness; therefore, he fit into the Birds' system better than Elliot would have.

Mueller is a excellent at running an offense that fits the skills of ALL of his offensive weapons; he certainly wouldn't have lined up in the I just to fit the skills of a sophomore running back or replaced an upper classmen that fits his offensive system beter.

The running plays are the same for the most part, as far as blocking. But as you said they just start off from different points.

Ryle can schedule as many powerhouse teams as they want, they still will not complete with X and T. They just don't have it in them.

Two Division 1 players (Murray and Nichols) in four seasons is more than they have ever had. If you look at the team for the upcoming 2010 season, there may be at least that many...which is nothing compared to Highlands but they are going in the right direction. Ryle has had one sub-par season since 2005. If they continue improving depth, size, and skill...they will compete with T and X...and maybe even Colerain. Only time will tell.

You are making huge assumptions...and ignoring many facts.

Elliot is and has been an I formation TB most of the time.

Highlands uses a shotgun split back or single back formation most of the time; most of Highlands's running plays start off with the running back moving laterally, not downhill as most I formation plays require of the TB.

Fennel was not quite as big as Elliot and maybe not as straight ahead fast, but he has better lateral quickness; therefore, he fit into the Birds' system better than Elliot would have.

Mueller is a excellent at running an offense that fits the skills of ALL of his offensive weapons; he certainly wouldn't have lined up in the I just to fit the skills of a sophomore running back or replaced an upper classmen that fits his offensive system beter.

You're right. Elliot does mostly run behind a fullback but a portion of Ryle's offense is out of the gun, which he has had success. I was just debating talent level. There is not a team in NKY that would not have used Elliot in the backfield in 2009, including Highlands and SK. I don't think he, as a Soph, was as good as Simpson but would still receive many carries in that backfield. However, he still has two years to go. As some have stated, he is way ahead of Simpson when comparing Soph seasons.

Ummm ... I am pretty sure that your second and third paragraphs contradict each other. (With the exception of the first sentence of the third paragraph).

The constant theme in this thread has centered on the fact that Ryle was trying to elevate their program. You elevate your program with championships (and there are plenty of Ryle people who have already attested to that in this thread).

Seriously ... if Ryle gets beat a zillion to seven (and I trust that TheGuru knows what he is talking about) .. what kind of exposure does that bring them? I have a feeling that I already know.

I follow your logic about as much as you follow mine. Which ... to me is fine. I just find it hard to believe that this is a good move for Ryle (other than financially).

All of us have stated our opinions here ..... more than a few times. I, for one, am willing to wait for 2011 and 2012 to see how it turns out.

Compare it to what Coach Warner decided to do for the 09 and 10 seasons, playing Highlands twice. Most people still think this was ludacris, even though they gave Highlands a decent game in both attempts. I look forward to those games being even closer this year. Playing Colerain the following two seasons is just that next step...But what if Ryle beats Highlands 2x in 10...they would be looking for that bigger challenge....:sssh: That challenge is Colerain! And I agree, we'll find out in 2011.

The running plays are the same for the most part, as far as blocking. But as you said they just start off from different points.

Going from a split back formation is very different than going from the TB position; from a TB spot, every play except a toss sweep the TB is going downhill; even off tackle requires only one lateral step from the TB spot.

Going from a split back formation is very different than going from the TB position; from a TB spot, every play except a toss sweep the TB is going downhill; even off tackle requires only one lateral step from the TB spot.

I know, I said the blocking was the same.

You're right. Elliot does mostly run behind a fullback but a portion of Ryle's offense is out of the gun, which he has had success. I was just debating talent level. There is not a team in NKY that would not have used Elliot in the backfield in 2009, including Highlands and SK. I don't think he, as a Soph, was as good as Simpson but would still receive many carries in that backfield. However, he still has two years to go. As some have stated, he is way ahead of Simpson when comparing Soph seasons.

It is a legitimate question where Elliot would have been used on Highlands' '09 team; considering the type of athletes they use, Elliot might have been a defensive linemen or linebacker, especially with Collinsworth and Fennel returning from a State Championship team at running back.

This honestly no disrespect to Elliot; I believe he would have started on the best team in the state as a sophomore!

It is a legitimate question where Elliot would have been used on Highlands' '09 team; considering the type of athletes they use, Elliot might have been a defensive linemen or linebacker, especially with Collinsworth and Fennel returning from a State Championship team at running back.

This honestly no disrespect to Elliot; I believe he would have started on the best team in the state as a sophomore!

:confused: If you are talking Highlands please explain. I don't see it. Where would he have started?

I see Collinsworth, Fennell, Streeter ahead of him.

What HHS linebacker would Elliot have replaced ? Elliot being a soph in 09 ?

I actually thought Bruns was the hardest hitter on the team. Brandon was a good LB though, one of many for HHS.

Bruns is probably the best Defensive Back in NKY...however, i picture him tackling Elliot at the knees...Roller was all over the place.

What D-lineman would Elliot have replaced ?