Why can't the public school powers that be get this one through their thick skulls?

theguru

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article:

If this is the main complaint then all the public schools need to do is quit restricting their own boundaries and then this complaint is a non-issue.

You can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-american.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

How does NCC do it? How does Highlands do it? Beechwood? None of them have boundaries...

I have child going to Highlands and we live out of district. They have a application that you must meet certain qualifications from grades, attendence, disicipline, Honors, etc. They also put a limit on how many out of district students they will let in. They are limited with space they have. I'm sure Beechwood has the same thing.

You are being silly.

You would have to take all the students in your district and you could take all the out of district students you have space for. Most schools take care of this issue by testing incoming students.

Or they might "test" their athletic skills, which could create some problems.

This is an interesting debate. I thought the KHSAA made schools have boundries. I had no idea that Highlands, Beechwood etc. didn't have boundries. That would make for a lot of hurt feelings in Eastern KY! I always wondered how those schools always had so many athletes. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW they outwork 98% of the teams out there but it is interesting that they don't have boundries. It seems like the schools get the best of both worlds because they can pick and chose the kids they want which would cut down on discipline problems and raise test scores if I'm reading this correct.

All the county schools.

:fight:

I beleive but I am not sure: in Kenton County a student can enroll in any of the three Schools, Dixie, Scott or Simon Kenton.

From the article:

If this is the main complaint then all the public schools need to do is quit restricting their own boundaries and then this complaint is a non-issue.

You can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-american.

I understand where you are going with this, but the boundries serves many facets.

For one, the unpredictability of enrollment would create chaos in regards to budgets.

From what I understand school districts can budget money for a year or two ahead and most recently only a year or so ahead.

Of course long range projections can be made ala with Boone County planning a new middle school and eventually a high school. But even with that it is based on projected enrollments.

A school disrict is able to get a ball park figure in regards to budgets based on the enrollments of their feeder schools, elementary to middle then to high school.

If you had the unstable forecasting of projected enrollment it could throw the entire alloation for teachers and staff out of whack. One school could be sorely understaffed while another would be overstaffed.

Schools get money based on "average daily attendance" in Kentucky, and erasing boundry lines could have a traumatic effect on some districts.

Particularly, those in urban areas who depend on state monies according to the SEEK formulas.

Then again you be widening the chasms between the "haves" and the "have nots" of the world.

In summary, too much unpredictability in regards to enrollments would be a nightmare for most public school districts.

This is an interesting debate. I thought the KHSAA made schools have boundries. I had no idea that Highlands, Beechwood etc. didn't have boundries.
While they may have no "boundaries", they must have an agreement with each county (especially the county in which the independent district resides) to release the ADA money for each of those students. Those county school district do not have to release that money and if they decided to be hard core about this funding many independent districts would be consolidated. This really hit the fan in Murray/Calloway Co. this past spring.

Forget bounderies and recruitment, the only way to keep the good kids going to your school is a good team. Henry Clay and Bryan Station would have no trouble beating Catholic in basketball this year if they were to play. Kids will not go to Catholic if their public school offers a better team, bottom line. Football and Baseball are the same way.

Forget bounderies and recruitment, the only way to keep the good kids going to your school is a good team. Henry Clay and Bryan Station would have no trouble beating Catholic in basketball this year if they were to play. Kids will not go to Catholic if their public school offers a better team, bottom line. Football and Baseball are the same way.

I agree on this 100%. Lexington Catholic in basketball has been slowy going down hill and I think it's mostly due to Catholic getting beat in the Region by the public schools.

Lexington Catholic and the Public Schools can't play in other sports because of the "football boycott" which is so stupid. I understood it at first when Catholic was starting their program and thank the good lord for Boyle County or there could be a Trinity sitting in Lexington right now. But Lexington Catholic would most likely get beat by Henry Clay right now. Catholic can barely beat Scott County right now. Catholic gets good skill kids but not great and has great quarterbacks. But great teams can run the ball and stop the run. Catholic has problems with these two parts of the game.

If Henry Clay or Dunbar were to beat Lexington Catholic in the future (which is very possible) than Catholic football would go down slowly like their basketball program has. They would be good but not the best team in the City from year to year.

If you want to stop your kids from going to Lexington Catholic play them and beat them and they will. Then Catholic will quit playing that we are unbeatable by any Lexington Team Card that they like to use.

I understand where you are going with this, but the boundries serves many facets.

For one, the unpredictability of enrollment would create chaos in regards to budgets.

From what I understand school districts can budget money for a year or two ahead and most recently only a year or so ahead.

Of course long range projections can be made ala with Boone County planning a new middle school and eventually a high school. But even with that it is based on projected enrollments.

A school disrict is able to get a ball park figure in regards to budgets based on the enrollments of their feeder schools, elementary to middle then to high school.

If you had the unstable forecasting of projected enrollment it could throw the entire alloation for teachers and staff out of whack. One school could be sorely understaffed while another would be overstaffed.

Schools get money based on "average daily attendance" in Kentucky, and erasing boundry lines could have a traumatic effect on some districts.

Particularly, those in urban areas who depend on state monies according to the SEEK formulas.

Then again you be widening the chasms between the "haves" and the "have nots" of the world.

In summary, too much unpredictability in regards to enrollments would be a nightmare for most public school districts.

LABS I know you understand that Catholic Schools can not restrict enrollment or they would go against the very mission of the school. Why can't AD's across this state understand. The schools are imposed first by the rules of their Bishop. It has nothing to do with athletic's , it has to do with the mission of the Catholic Church. The school's have no power and I mean no power what so ever , over their bishop.

Guru,

You're just blinded by your love of the private schools. Schools get state and federal money by the number of students that they enroll. Just opening up enrollment doesn't solve it. You should go to school where you live--period. If the private schools want to open their enrollment statewide then let them do it--they can compete amongst themselves. Are you telling me that a small city school can afford to run buses 30-40 miles outside of its borders to pick up students without booster support. You know better than that. If you get to pick and choose your students you should only play against those who do likewise. Is it a coincidence that UHA has 35 students each year and maybe 20 of those are involved in basketball? If you think it is you're kidding yourself. Hey, let the private schools do what they want--but that's not the same world that the public schools have to live in. Deep down you know that, things are not fair and they won't ever be under the current system.