Why can't the public school powers that be get this one through their thick skulls?

theguru

Makes no sense. The reason a majority of private schools need a larger area is because if they just used the surronding area they would not have a large enough school. (X and T probably excluded). If Covington Holy Cross just used the Latonia neighborhood their would be no way for the doors to survive. That is why Holy Cross has an outlined feeder system with grade schools, to which the kids from those schools and there neighborhood are considered in district to HC. The district overlaps Holmes,Scott,and Sk's but HC doesn't even come close to those schools in enrollment. If any kid from say the CCH,NCC, or Brossart feeders want to come to HC. They would then have to pay out of district tution.

What Holy Cross are you talking about? You aren't talking about the one in Louisville?

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A true public school is required to educate a certain home school area of students. For example, Southern can not turn a way a kid that lives right down the street because he isn't smart enough or gets in to trouble. They have to take him because he lives in that home school area.

Male, Manual, Butler not having a defined home school area in which they have to educate those kids, makes them to not be a true public school. They get to pick and choose students. They don't have to deal with discipline or kids not making the grade. They kick them out and then those kids have to go to their home school where they may act the same but won't and can't be kciked out.

Thats the advantage they have. Thats why they are not true public schools.

I disagree that a school is required to educate a certain home area of students. That's actually a restriction placed by the school district, not a definition of public. I think that the definition of a public school is to provide an education to students who attend that school, at the expense of the community (via taxes). The decision as to whom is allowed to attend a school is at the discretion of the school district.

From your post above, can I draw the conclusion that you are against open enrollment public schools?

This is the way I see it, if T, X and Cov/Lex Cath. can offer their students (no matter where they come from) a better educational experience, then who are we to try to stop that? Just because Wal-Mart is down the street, it doesn't mean that I have to buy my clothes there.

Right, the proposals aren't trying to stop that, just the athletic aspect of it.

I disagree that a school is required to educate a certain home area of students. That's actually a restriction placed by the school district, not a definition of public. I think that the definition of a public school is to provide an education to students who attend that school, at the expense of the community (via taxes). The decision as to whom is allowed to attend a school is at the discretion of the school district.

From your post above, can I draw the conclusion that you are against open enrollment public schools?

That's not completely true, if it was, then why would you even have a school in a county or city if you didn't intend to educate your community? If the school taxes are coming from a community, then your first priority is to educate those taxpayers families, thus why tuition is charged for out-of-community people.

That's not completely true, if it was, then why would you even have a school in a county or city if you didn't intend to educate your community? If the school taxes are coming from a community, then your first priority is to educate those taxpayers families, thus why tuition is charged for out-of-community people.

Not sure whatyou're saying here? :confused:

Is it fair that a private school outside of your county can offer financial aid to student-athletes to gain their enrollment? If you think so, it’s like having a public school playing a college level team that “recruits” their talent in any sporting event - namely football and basketball.

The REAL argument here is "recruiting." It's not fair for public schools to compete on the gridiron or hardwood with students from their community or communities that their school services, while they are facing private school opponents that can "recruit" the best talent statewide with financial aid or a dorm to live in and the promise of winning a championship.

You disagree but that is fact. Maybe it is a districts choice but why do Male, Manual, and Butler have advantages? Why were they chosen? Not fair to compare them to all other public schools when reporting test scores because they don't play under the same rules.

Yes, your conclusion is right. Stop the open enrollment. Quit wasting all this money on bussing kids all over the city and use it on actually improving every schools education. Open enrollment has hurt the idea of a community. I believe you should go where you live and If you don't like the school where you live, then move to another district. JCPS claims that all public schools in JC are equal. That is bull and we all know it. We can work on making them equal but not with open enrollment.

Is it fair that a private school outside of your county can offer financial aid to student-athletes to gain their enrollment? If you think so, it’s like having a public school playing a college level team that “recruits” their talent in any sporting event - namely football and basketball.

The REAL argument here is "recruiting." It's not fair for public schools to compete on the gridiron or hardwood with students from their community or communities that their school services, while they are facing private school opponents that can "recruit" the best talent statewide with financial aid or a dorm to live in and the promise of winning a championship.

Financial aid is given to STUDENTS IN NEED. Some of those students MAY be athletes. Also, there are NO DORMS at the private schools. Where DO those ideas come from? :creepy:

Not sure whatyou're saying here? :confused:

I am saying that it is the responsibilty of the city or county public schools to take care of thier citizens children first. If they only took care of kids that live in other counties, then there wouldn't even need to be a school there, those kids could just go to the school in their area.

You disagree but that is fact. Maybe it is a districts choice but why do Male, Manual, and Butler have advantages? Why were they chosen? Not fair to compare them to all other public schools when reporting test scores because they don't play under the same rules.

Yes, your conclusion is right. Stop the open enrollment. Quit wasting all this money on bussing kids all over the city and use it on actually improving every schools education. Open enrollment has hurt the idea of a community. I believe you should go where you live and If you don't like the school where you live, then move to another district. JCPS claims that all public schools in JC are equal. That is bull and we all know it. We can work on making them equal but not with open enrollment.

So, then, you're an advocate for stopping the Aviation program @ Shawnee, the Computer Science program @ Eastern, etc?

Right, the proposals aren't trying to stop that, just the athletic aspect of it.

See that is where I have a problem because to me athletics are a part of the total educational experience. Sure they are an extracurricular activity, but they are an activity that is tied into the total school experience.

Financial aid is given to STUDENTS IN NEED. Some of those students MAY be athletes. Also, there are NO DORMS at the private schools. Where DO those ideas come from? :creepy:

Students in need that are talented athletes - not always devote Catholic's in need.

And I guess a private school like June Buchanan in Knott County doesn't have a dorm room system? :creepy:

See that is where I have a problem because to me athletics are a part of the total educational experience. Sure they are an extracurricular activity, but they are an activity that is tied into the total school experience.

Well that helps the argument cause everybody seems to want to separate the two.

Yep. Magnets are not as popular to students as you think. They are overrated. I believe they should open vocational schools back up. Most of these magnets require higher education for employment. Simply going to a school with a magnet won't guarantee you a job when you get out. Most of them will have to go onto technical school or college in that field.

The schools that are trying to get the private schools a separate division, do they expect to gain anything besides a few state championships here or there? Shirley they don't think there enrollment will go up or think that this will have any affect on their academic standards?