Why can't the public school powers that be get this one through their thick skulls?

theguru

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe us little rural schools shouldn't impose our way of doing things on the bigger city schools. But whatever happened to having a team of boys from your LOCAL community? This is the way football used to be and now we are seeing people coming in and changing it. I mean, I could say that a team that has boys from all over the place is going to win a watered down championship as well when they win it every year. I just think that HS sports should be about that local community, not a bunch of communities or counties or even states!

Why should we turn our High Schools into colleges, that is essentially what you are doing when you go from community or county to region.

I think you don't understand the issue. I believe and I could be the one wrong, but the proposal will be to make any athlete that receives financial aid ineligible. If that occurs, from what the posters on here are saying, a good % of Catholic school students DO receive financial aid. They would then become ineligible.

I do understand it. The point I am trying to make is what is financial assistance. At CovCath, they have a work study which the student gets at most 1/4 of their tuition relieved if they work to clean and repair the school. This is a drop in the bucket to the amount of money the family has to come up with. Is that the same as a reciprocal agreement one district has with another in which the student has to only come up with a small amount?

I have to laugh at the Louisville public schools for saying they can't get kids outside there cluster...that is a joke....if a public school wants a kid bad enough they will get him/her.

Does someone think it was just luck that a couple years back Seneca ended up with a ton of great kids on the football team? :sssh:

First off to Colonel Henderson-

Why in the heck would you care about boundaries? There is only 1 high school in your county. Your gripe has to be about St.X and Male which are two schools that are tough to beat. 1 is a private school and oops 1 is a public school. Are you wanting to kick out Male?

Maybe us little rural schools shouldn't impose our way of doing things on the bigger city schools. But whatever happened to having a team of boys from your LOCAL community? This is the way football used to be and now we are seeing people coming in and changing it. I mean, I could say that a team that has boys from all over the place is going to win a watered down championship as well when they win it every year. I just think that HS sports should be about that local community, not a bunch of communities or counties or even states!

Why should we turn our High Schools into colleges, that is essentially what you are doing when you go from community or county to region.

Do you honestly not understand the mission of a catholic school do you not read any posts. The mission of a catholic is to cater to any and all people who want a Catholic education. They can not go against this mission the schools themselves have no choice but to follow the mission their bishop sets for them. If you don't think Catholic schools are community based your blind. I guarntee you catholic schools are as community based and supported by that community as well or better than any other school in state.

From the article:

If this is the main complaint then all the public schools need to do is quit restricting their own boundaries and then this complaint is a non-issue.

You can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-american.

Because that would require work on their part. Paper work and meetings, and heaven forbid they actually have to put forth an effort to get things done. It's easier for them just to whine about other people.

Do you honestly not understand the mission of a catholic school do you not read any posts. The mission of a catholic is to cater to any and all people who want a Catholic education. They can not go against this mission the schools themselves have no choice but to follow the mission their bishop sets for them. If you don't think Catholic schools are community based your blind. I guarntee you catholic schools are as community based and supported by that community as well or better than any other school in state.

I understand that a catholic school wants to go out as far as they can and offer a catholic education to as many people as they can, but a public school was put there to offer an education to the local community/county, not all over the region, those other communities/counties have their own public school to take care of that for them. Would you say that it is fair for a private school like Trinity or St. X to play against UK? Probably not, but both schools can draw from a region or a larger area.

I understand that a catholic school wants to go out as far as they can and offer a catholic education to as many people as they can, but a public school was put there to offer an education to the local community/county, not all over the region, those other communities/counties have their own public school to take care of that for them. Would you say that it is fair for a private school like Trinity or St. X to play against UK? Probably not, but both schools can draw from a region or a larger area.

Makes no sense. The reason a majority of private schools need a larger area is because if they just used the surronding area they would not have a large enough school. (X and T probably excluded). If Covington Holy Cross just used the Latonia neighborhood their would be no way for the doors to survive. That is why Holy Cross has an outlined feeder system with grade schools, to which the kids from those schools and there neighborhood are considered in district to HC. The district overlaps Holmes,Scott,and Sk's but HC doesn't even come close to those schools in enrollment. If any kid from say the CCH,NCC, or Brossart feeders want to come to HC. They would then have to pay out of district tution.

This is the way I see it, if T, X and Cov/Lex Cath. can offer their students (no matter where they come from) a better educational experience, then who are we to try to stop that? Just because Wal-Mart is down the street, it doesn't mean that I have to buy my clothes there.

A true public school is required to educate a certain home school area of students. For example, Southern can not turn a way a kid that lives right down the street because he isn't smart enough or gets in to trouble. They have to take him because he lives in that home school area.

Male, Manual, Butler not having a defined home school area in which they have to educate those kids, makes them to not be a true public school. They get to pick and choose students. They don't have to deal with discipline or kids not making the grade. They kick them out and then those kids have to go to their home school where they may act the same but won't and can't be kciked out.

Thats the advantage they have. Thats why they are not true public schools.