Why can't the public school powers that be get this one through their thick skulls?

theguru

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about private schools recruiting all you want, what bothers me more than anything, are coaches who recruit players against other sports in their own schools. Sorry, I read all this stuff about the public-private debate and it gets me fired up about coaches like that.

Guru,

You're just blinded by your love of the private schools. Schools get state and federal money by the number of students that they enroll. Just opening up enrollment doesn't solve it. You should go to school where you live--period. If the private schools want to open their enrollment statewide then let them do it--they can compete amongst themselves. Are you telling me that a small city school can afford to run buses 30-40 miles outside of its borders to pick up students without booster support. You know better than that. If you get to pick and choose your students you should only play against those who do likewise. Is it a coincidence that UHA has 35 students each year and maybe 20 of those are involved in basketball? If you think it is you're kidding yourself. Hey, let the private schools do what they want--but that's not the same world that the public schools have to live in. Deep down you know that, things are not fair and they won't ever be under the current system.

These people pushing this are not looking for fair, and if you don't see that you are kidding yourself! Guru has a point, but the people crying about this won't listen to this as then they will have nothing to cry about any longer.

No one said that the schools have to bus them in, why can't the parents drive them? or if they are older the students drive themselves to school?

Lexington Catholic is supported by all the parishes in Lexington plus those in Paris (Bourbon Co) , Frankfort (Franklin), Georgetown (Scott), Winchester (Clark), Versailles (Woodford), Nicholasville (Jessamine), and Richmond (Madison). The Catholic grade schools (k-8) all feed into Catholic although many children from outside Lexington end up going to public high schools where they live. I don't know how Lexington Christian is set up.

The boycott by Fayette county public schools has not impacted football as far as district/regional play goes. Catholic is 3A. The public high schools in Fayette county are all 4A. With a few exceptions most of Catholic's football teams have played together since they were little in the Catholic flag football leagues and middle school program. The primary target of the boycott is (was) not football. Over the past 4 years Catholic's state titles have been in Basketball (boys and girls) and Soccer (boys and girls). IMO, the major PO factor for Fayette county schools has been over basketball.

What are you talking about? If the issue is boundaries the answer is simple, don't impose any boundaries. The KHSAA does not impose boundaries on the member schools so this is nothing more than a choice made on the local level.

What if not establishing boundaries is a problem? The local residents elect the school board members to educate their children. A county/community school is established to educate that county/community not some other community's children. Now if you want the purpose of public schools to be athletics, fine, change the boundaries. But if you want the public schools mission of educating the students in that community to stay as is, then you make the guidelines for extracurricular activities to fit the guidelines of the school.

One thing that people keep forgetting about in this debate is the ultimate equalizer: tuition. CovCath can try to get a student from Dry Ridge, but if the student cannot pay tuition and in a students case from Dry Ridge (out of district) more tuition than the average CovCath student then he cannot go to school there. More "recruiting" in the world will get him there if he cannot pay.

While they may have no "boundaries", they must have an agreement with each county (especially the county in which the independent district resides) to release the ADA money for each of those students. Those county school district do not have to release that money and if they decided to be hard core about this funding many independent districts would be consolidated. This really hit the fan in Murray/Calloway Co. this past spring.

So let me make sure I'm reading this right. You are saying that Jimmy Joe with a 4.0 and starting QB transfers to such and such school that is open enrollment. His school he is leaving has the option to let the money he makes for the school he was at to go with him to the new school or they can keep it for themselves (ADA money)? Why would those schools ever let that money leave with him? Seems like the schools losing the kids is getting the worst of both worlds. They would be losing a great student, a great athlete and the money that he brought in! Is that correct?

One thing that people keep forgetting about in this debate is the ultimate equalizer: tuition. CovCath can try to get a student from Dry Ridge, but if the student cannot pay tuition and in a students case from Dry Ridge (out of district) more tuition than the average CovCath student then he cannot go to school there. More "recruiting" in the world will get him there if he cannot pay.

I think you don't understand the issue. I believe and I could be the one wrong, but the proposal will be to make any athlete that receives financial aid ineligible. If that occurs, from what the posters on here are saying, a good % of Catholic school students DO receive financial aid. They would then become ineligible.

So let me make sure I'm reading this right. You are saying that Jimmy Joe with a 4.0 and starting QB transfers to such and such school that is open enrollment. His school he is leaving has the option to let the money he makes for the school he was at to go with him to the new school or they can keep it for themselves (ADA money)? Why would those schools ever let that money leave with him? Seems like the schools losing the kids is getting the worst of both worlds. They would be losing a great student, a great athlete and the money that he brought in! Is that correct?

Close. If the school chooses to not let the ADA money go to the new school, NO ONE gets it. Stays with the state. Not sure what happens with it at that point. The school that lost the student would receive no money for him once he transferred out. ONly two options: 1)money goes to no school; 2)money goes to noone.

A lot of school districts have reciprocal agreements with neighboring school districts that allow the students from each school to attend the other school with the ADA money going to the school they attend. Otherwise they may have to pay tuition to offset the ADA money the school loses if there is no reciprocal agreement.

I think you don't understand the issue. I believe and I could be the one wrong, but the proposal will be to make any athlete that receives financial aid ineligible. If that occurs, from what the posters on here are saying, a good % of Catholic school students DO receive financial aid. They would then become ineligible.

That was last years proposal. This year it is a separate division for private schools.