Northern Kentucky, You’re Next

Run To State

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people are caught up on the smoking part. I think everyone on here knows that smoking is bad for you, you may get cancer, you may get emphysema, it puts you at a high risk for cardiovascular disease and hypertension, it makes you cough. We all know this. It's not about smoking, it's about the government putting restrictions on lifestyles.

I wouldn't care if every business in America is smoke free. It wouldn't bother me a bit. But, the government should not be the one to make this happen. If a restaurant wants to be smoke free, alcohol free, fat free, or fried food free great for them, I hope everything works out for them. But, the owner/operator should be the one to make that decision.

Having a non-smoking section in a rest. is like having a non-peeing section in the pool. It's going to drift and get on you.

If my addiction is overeating the only person I am hurting is myself. I am not emitting any foulness on to anybody around me. I have been around so many people that smoke. My brother used to suffer with asthma and my father would smoke in the family car because it was his right. He didn't care how it was affecting my brother.

Alot of the people I speak too that smoke really don't care about others feelings either if it is inpedeing their rights. I don't come into a rest. and shuck off my clothes down to my undies and eat. That would'nt be right. It would be a " horrible" distraction to those around me. But should I be allowed to ... it is a free country after all.

Smoking irritates my sinuses and makes my clothes smell like a bonfire. All because I like to eat a steak out occasionally. I personally don't care for the smoking ... but it is a free country.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I don't smoke, I hate smoke, but I am totally, and I mean totally, opposed to a smoking ban. Its a freedom of choice thing with me. If you don't like smoke in a restaurant, then find a smoke free one. Its that simple. There are several restaurants/bars that I will not frequent because of the smoke. If there isn't one, then start one or get enough people to complain to the restaurant owner to make it smoke free. But allow the restaurant owner, not govt, to make that decision.

Well not really, by not wearing a seat belt your chances of getting hurt increase and if you don't have health insurance you will be costing taxpayers a ton of money, and if you do have health insurance you are hurting those in your group by increasing the cost of your plan. Maybe you don't understand but smoking in a public place hurts not only those sitting with you or around you but those who work their. Being one who had no choice but to stand behind a desk and have someone blow smoke into my face sometimes just a foot away, taught me, that a lot of smokers could care less if their smoking caused you problems.

Well, with the above post you are back to just "theoldguy".:laugh: (see the post I made in the P&R forum about you becoming "thewiseoldguy"). Totally disagree with you here and your line of thinking. You had the total choice to find a job somewhere else that didn't force you to deal with the smoke. You choose not to exercise that right and now want to take a smoker's right away from him/her. No one forced you to take a job in a smoking establishment. No one forced you to stay in that job. Seems to me that the non smokers are the ones that don't care at all about anyone else but their own convenience and want to legislate out things that bother them. I'm a non smoker and hate smoke by the way.

Having a non-smoking section in a rest. is like having a non-peeing section in the pool. It's going to drift and get on you.

If my addiction is overeating the only person I am hurting is myself. I am not emitting any foulness on to anybody around me. i have been around so many people that smoke. My brother used to suffer with asthma and my father would smoke in the family car because it was his right. He didn't care how it was affecting my brother.

Alot of the people I speak too that smoke really don't care about others feelings either if it is inpedeing their rights. I don't come into a rest. and shuck off my clothes down to my undies and eat. That would'nt be right. It would be a " horrible" distraction to those around me. But should I be allowed to ... it is a free country after all.

Smoking irritates my sinuses and makes my clothes smell like a bonfire. All because I like to eat a steak out occasionally. I personally don't care for the smoking ... but it is a free country.

While smoke drifting is true of some, it's not true of all that I've been to. A restaurant can easily install an air curtain to separate smoking from non-smoking sections, the air discharged from the unit will prevent smoke from drifting to unwanted parts of the building. There are also smoke eaters that can be installed.

Again, you have choices. There are plenty of non-smoking restaurants already, why do they ALL need to be smoke free? Shouldn't it be up to the individual owner?

Here's an idea....Make some restaurants all non-smoking, and some restaurants all smoking. Non-smokers can go to their restaurants and eat with out the smoke, and smokers can go to their restaurant. Sound like a plan?

Here's an idea....Make some restaurants all non-smoking, and some restaurants all smoking. Non-smokers can go to their restaurants and eat with out the smoke, and smokers can go to their restaurant. Sound like a plan?
Sounds like what we have now, but the non-smokers don't want ANY smoking in ANY restaurant. They want it their way only.

Sounds like what we have now, but the non-smokers don't want ANY smoking in ANY restaurant. They want it their way only.

I mean, I can't say as I really blame them. I think smoking while you're eating is disgusting...

That's fine, but they have a choice. This is America after all, not a nanny state.

If by "they" you mean smokers, you're right, they do have a choice to harm themselves with smoking. Not other people who have chosen not to smoke.

Well, with the above post you are back to just "theoldguy".:laugh: (see the post I made in the P&R forum about you becoming "thewiseoldguy"). Totally disagree with you here and your line of thinking. You had the total choice to find a job somewhere else that didn't force you to deal with the smoke. You choose not to exercise that right and now want to take a smoker's right away from him/her. No one forced you to take a job in a smoking establishment. No one forced you to stay in that job. Seems to me that the non smokers are e ones that don't care at all about anyone else but their own convenience and want to legislate out things that bother them. I'm a non smoker and hate smoke by the way.

But you see, later in my life, I did go to work for companies that didn't allow smoking. I haven't worked at a company since 1976 that has allowed it's employees to smoke at the work site. :D

Oh I do like that "Thewiseoldguy" tag, but you almost made my wife and daughter fall to the ground laughing, when I pointed it out to them! :thumb::lol: