Northern Kentucky, You’re Next

Run To State

I haven't read through this thread but I am torn on the topic. Normally any other regulation like this I would be against because it infringes on the rights of the business owner but because smoking falls into the realm of public health the it becomes a much more complicated debate. Personally as a social smoker I don't mind the ban here in Louisville whatsoever and actually I think I like it better that way but that's just my personal opinion.

On a side note, the ban in Louisville has not affected business in anyway for bars/restaurants/the downs etc. as far as I can tell. The nightlife is still hopping and businesses are still going as strong as they were before.

:thumb: I also find myself on both sides of the issue.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly understand both sides, but I feel the majority of the non-smoking side is a lot more unreasonable about the situation.

I can agree with that. There does seem to be a bloc on that side possessing a bizarre fervor to ban it. Especially when "activists" from other cities show up.

Doubtful, pretty hard to enforce that. Other than people just not caring for it, there's no reason to forbid it. Alot of the reason for not permitting smoking is due to health related risks for those in the proximity of a smoker. Tell me how someone dipping poses a health risk to someone that's 5 feet away.....

It doesn't, which is why it's highl unlikely it'll be passed, atleast not as a city wide ordinance or anything like that.

Don't get ahead of your self. Ashland has a "Smoking Ban", I have been asked to step outside with snuff in my mouth, because, I was told that there was a "Tobacco ban" in the city while in public buildings.

Give an inch, they take a mile.

Do we have the right to a smoke-free environment at a privately-owned restaurant?

Do you also want beer banned because of the potential of that consumer to cause a wreck on the way home?

How far do you take it if you subscribe to the public health/safety side?

Again, that's progressing it on to places it would not and should not go. It's like saying if we ban plastic explosives, we'll surely be banning fireworks next..then candles...then matches. Oh my God, where will it stop! :scared:

See, it just doesn't make sense to say that an effort to protect the public health shouldn't be undertaken because it would somehow automatically lead to banning ridiculous things.

I have no problem with banning smoking in restaurants. If you want to smoke, go outside and stop your whining.

Bars are a different story. If I go to a bar, I expect drinking and smoking. Banning smoking in a bar is stupid.

And if that bar serves food?

Don't get ahead of your self. Ashland has a "Smoking Ban", I have been asked to step outside with snuff in my mouth, because, I was told that there was a "Tobacco ban" in the city while in public buildings.

Give an inch, they take a mile.

Sounds like some really ultra prissies in your area, Ram.

I have no problem with banning smoking in restaurants. If you want to smoke, go outside and stop your whining.

Bars are a different story. If I go to a bar, I expect drinking and smoking. Banning smoking in a bar is stupid.

I'll go with that. :thumb:

I have a major problem with it, as I've said repeatedly in this thread it should be up to the individual owner.

Give an inch, they take a mile.[/QUOTE]

This is my point.