Northern Kentucky, You’re Next

Run To State

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A classical understanding of freedom is making our own decisions so long as they do not interfere with the freedom of others. Smoking, by its nature, interferes with others. Food for thought.

Of course, this has zero to do with what people do to themselves. It cracks me up when people try to turn this into an issue of personal choice. It's not about personal choice; it's about imposing those destructive choices on other people.

I respectfully disagree. Virtually every personal choice we make as individuals effects other.

Why not ban alcohol, which I do not support, without alcohol there would not be innocent people killed by people drinking and driving. Effects a lot of people.

Why not ban fried food, which I do not support, health care cost are driven up by people who weigh 500 pounds and continue to eat fried food even though their colesteral is 800 and they have had three heart attacks. Effects a lot of people.

I respectfully disagree. Virtually every personal choice we make as individuals effects other.

Why not ban alcohol, which I do not support, without alcohol there would not be innocent people killed by people drinking and driving. Effects a lot of people.

Why not ban fried food, which I do not support, health care cost are driven up by people who weigh 500 pounds and continue to eat fried food even though their colesteral is 800 and they have had three heart attacks. Effects a lot of people.

I agree with you hear. What's next?

O-kay here's the opinion of a newly non-smoker.

I can't stand the smell of smoke anymore. If I stand next to someone who smokes it makes me sick. I would rather I never come in contact with smoke anymore in my lifetime. Now that being said............................................I can't stand the thought that the government is telling you what you can and cannot do. If you don't want to smell the smoke then go to an non-smoking establishment...trust me they are there. If you choose to go to an establishment that allows smoking then you truly have nothing to complain about. I am just so worn out with people tell others what they can and cannot do. Smoking offend you....well little cute blonds offend me but I just don't believe the government will ever put a ban on them:D Am I being silly? No I don't think so. There are so many things in life that offends people and you just can't ban them all. Big old trucks that end up being in traffic in front of me and the toxic fumes coming from it makes me sick....standing anywhere next to a vehicle that is parked and having those toxic fumes slam into my face offends me...etc..etc...there are just somethings that will never be banned and they are just as dangerous to your health as a cigarette is.

I agree with you hear. What's next?

What I would like to see next, is enforcement of laws already on the books. Like put as much effort into stopping people from "Illegally" abusing drugs as is put into stopping "legal" use of tobacco. Do you remember all the commercials on TV about "Just saying no to drugs", you don't see them anymore. Instead you see commercials about "Legal" smoking.

How, many times have you seen people say, "Oh, he need help" when talking about a drug addict. No, he does not need help, he needs to be punished for breaking the law, and while he is being punished, he can receive the proper medical help he needs.

But, to answer your question, who knows. Banning long hair, because it is the number one cause of industrial accidents. Banning gravel roads, because you loose traction. Banning green shirts because 75% of Americans do not like green clothing. I don't know, but it is stupid.

You have the choice not to go in smoking establishments. Funny that no bars and restaurants were closing across the river before the ban...

Funny you should mention about the number of bars closing in Ohio, as just yesterday the State of Ohio reported the number of Liquor permits is on the rise as is the profit in selling liquor! So who is correct you saying they are closing or the State of Ohio who is selling more permits?

Liquor permits on the rise.....

More places serve drinks despite ban on smoking

COLUMBUS - Despite predictions that the state smoking ban would doom Ohio bars, there are more places to drink now than before in Greater Cincinnati and in the state overall

The state smoking ban, passed by Ohio voters in November 2006, began getting enforced in May 2007. It banned smoking in most public places, including bars and restaurants as well as workplaces.

According to figures updated last week by the state Division of Liquor Control, in Southwest Ohio, there are 2,454 businesses that have permits to sell beer, wine and liquor - up from 2,394 in December 2006 and 2,351 last December.

Edited by Ram
Copyright

It is beyond that. It is depriving others of the freedom to make a personal choice.

Because the consumption or non-consumption of alcohol does not force me to consume or not consume alcohol. Driving after drinking, doing drugs, not sleeping, or while being an idiot can kill me, which is why they are illegal. Actually, most idiots can drive.

Again, fried food consumption does not stop you from consuming it. It may increase your insurance, but does not affect your right to choose.

It is depriving others of the freedom to make a personal choice.

Now, I also feel smoking bans deprive others of their freedom to make a personal choice. If a bar wants to allow its patrons to smoke, they should be allowed.

It is beyond that. It is depriving others of the freedom to make a personal choice.

I understand your points, and agree with some of them, but it does not deprive others of making personal choices. I am not saying smoke them if you've got them, I know that smoking can cause a multitude of problems, but if a person does not want to be around smokers, they can choose to not be around smokers. I know people who will not go into establishments that serve alcohol. That is a choice. I also, know people who are adamantly against the use of alcohol, but go to establishment that serve alcohol, but do not drink it. People who do not want to be around smoke have the same choice.

Because the consumption or non-consumption of alcohol does not force me to consume or not consume alcohol. Driving after drinking, doing drugs, not sleeping, or while being an idiot can kill me, which is why they are illegal. Actually, most idiots can drive.

Being around smokers may cause you to develop cancer. Being on the road with a drunk driver may cause you to die, or receive a debilitating injury. Both can cause infringement of right on a person, but are you going to choose to abstain from being around smokers, or are you going to abstain from traveling?

Again, fried food consumption does not stop you from consuming it. It may increase your insurance, but does not affect your right to choose.

But, it effects me none the less, we can't say that this right has more weight then the other rights. Increased health care caused by other people does effect others.

Now, I also feel smoking bans deprive others of their freedom to make a personal choice. If a bar wants to allow its patrons to smoke, they should be allowed.

I agree. The thing is for me, the government can't force people to be healthy, and live a certain lifestyle, that is why people from other countries left their county to come here, to get away from a overbearing, overcontroling government.

Well gee, BF, if you want to put it that way then I guess you feel we should ban peanuts, cologne, perfume...

Blatantly irrelevant. :rolleyes:

I've been known to go into violent sneezing fits and swelled-up eyes when around certain perfumes, and sometimes breathing constrictions. Always around cats.

There are many people now who go into anaphylactic shock at the mere whiff of a peanut.

It's just as much an imposition on another as second-hand smoke. Ban 'em, eh?

There are many restaurants that are smoke-free. Of the two bars in B'town I frequent most often, one is smoke-free and the other two are the smokiest in town. If you're dying to eat at a particular place, you either deal with it, or get takeout. Plenty of choices.

As you know, I quit smoking four years ago. Like my father, I've developed a bit of an allergy to the smoke. B'town has a group pushing for a smoking ban in the county. I hope it never even gets to a vote here.

Then go to a non-smoking restaurant, it's not right to force all bars and restaurants to do so.

So now you're taking my rights away. It's my right to go where I want, if just so happen that it's a smoke free establishment then whatever. If they want to force that upon places then it's fine with me.

So now you're taking my rights away. It's my right to go where I want, if just so happen that it's a smoke free establishment then whatever. If they want to force that upon places then it's fine with me.

Please list where you want to go?