Spanking children can lead to problems later in life, study finds

HOMELESS CAMEL

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back a few years ago #2 son was about four years old. We were on a trip to Sweet Home and in the toy store at the mall. He got a toy, but wanted something else. We came out of the store and in the middle of the mall he was screaming/crying/yelling. I asked him several times to stop...he didn't.

I turned him around and popped him on the but. It was loud. A very old man came up to me and wanted to fight me. I was HOT!. This was in 1986. I told the old man he was next if he didn't move back.

I would have really felt bad if he came at me. He was in his 80s. And this surorised me because I'm sure he had done the same as a Father, or seen it done.

#2 got 2 degrees at Southern Illinois. and is the most thoughtful son of my four.

But here is a point if you are still reading this little TAIL.

I woiuld not "Popp" my #4 in the mall now days. Times have changed...But he would know something is coming soon. DSP would be locked up.

Times have changed for the worse. Don't we have more people in jail these days. I was whipped with a mining belt, not often , but often enough to remember it well. I also had a few with (spell) a Momossia tree limb, all those tiny little branches. WE spankd out children and they are Fine.

I also have that minig belt right up abover my computer desk. But now it means something more.

Could solving a problem with violence (i.e. spanking) cause a child to later in life try and solve another problem with violence and end up in jail? Possibly.

My opinion is No, I will say however that is a common "out" or excuse that a lot of them will use. Of course I am talking about spankings and not beatings, there is a big difference. No child should be beaten.

Using I was spanked imo seems to be a good excuse for some to try and use to get them off on a crime.

I believe that crimes later in life may be directly linked to "time outs"...."do what you want, sit on the couch for a while then say that you are sorry then go back to what you were doing". No real penalties. JMO

I got whipped daily :D

and fortunately those were the only times you got caught, right???

These studies are ridiculous. I have an idea for a good study. I'll spank my child whenever I see fit, and allow it to be documented by any child psychologist. Let the next father never spank his child and see what happens to the both of them 20 years from now.

I gotta say that I really like my odds in that particular race.

My dad never spanked me nor raised his voice all he had to do was tell me that he was disappointed in me and that straightened me out. Mom was the spanker but then again dad worked and mom was home with 4 young kids. Her spankings were doled out appropriately because although we weren't mean we weren't angels either.

I don't spank my children. I have a 12 year old and a 7 year old with Autism. They are both well behaved and excel in school. My son with Autism has been on the highest behavior level at his school all year. So don't tell me that you have to spank your kids in order to have discipline.

I know this for sure, you can tell a disciplined child from a "time out child" with ease. The disciplined child has manners.

I disagree with that. As stated before, I never spanked my children and wont judge those that do within reason.

However, I know many families who have raised very respectful children without laying a hand on them. I personally have never had a problem with behavior with my children (so far!)

I grew up in a time when almost everyone was spanked. I can honestly say, there were plenty of smart mouthed punks among the spanked group. Usually they were the ones with obnoxious smart mouthed parents. There were also respectful well mannered kids who were spanked as well.

Kids learn respect and proper behavior at home with or without spanking.

Add me to the BS foundation. My parents spanked us ( eight children ) and we loved and respected them BIG TIME! We were a healthy rowdy bunch, but definately knew our limits.

There were families that I knew who whipped the heck out of their children...definately crossed that line, and raised children that spent a lot of time in the court system.

I personally did not spank my children, which was the right choice for my family and......so far so good!

Life tends to sway back and forth. I would not judge someone who spanks if done so within limits.

Add me to. Who has time to do these studies? It was probably done by someone who didn't get a new car from mommy and daddy or was just a spoiled brat.:irked:

I don't spank my children. I have a 12 year old and a 7 year old with Autism. They are both well behaved and excel in school. My son with Autism has been on the highest behavior level at his school all year. So don't tell me that you have to spank your kids in order to have discipline.

OK, then stop telling those that think it is an effective means of discipline to stop.

Add me to the BS foundation. My parents spanked us ( eight children ) and we loved and respected them BIG TIME! We were a healthy rowdy bunch, but definately knew our limits.

There were families that I knew who whipped the heck out of their children...definately crossed that line, and raised children that spent a lot of time in the court system.

I personally did not spank my children, which was the right choice for my family and......so far so good!

Life tends to sway back and forth. I would not judge someone who spanks if done so within limits.

I hear ya sista! :ylsuper::ylsuper:

When we were spanked it was always well deserved. My Dad had a way that he could take his belt off and give a whack to over 8 of us on the behind in one fell swoop.

I will admit I have spanked my children before but it has been few and far between.

I think timeout is crap. What is even worse is the just give them a pill society we live in.