Spanking children can lead to problems later in life, study finds

HOMELESS CAMEL

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - Parents who teach "tough love" by disciplining their children with spankings could be making them more likely to have sexual problems as teenagers and adults, a leading researcher said.

Professor Murray Straus, of the University of New Hampshire, found that children who are spanked or experience other corporal punishment have a raised risk as teenagers and adults to verbally or physically coerce a partner into having sex.

"It's more evidence that parents should not spank if the wellbeing of their children is at stake," he said in an interview.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080229/lf_nm_life/children_spanking_dc

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Apple tree?" You were babied. I had a willow tree. OUCH!!!

Me to and boy did they hurt. I don't believe in spanking children. Not to say that's it bad if you do, because I think each parent has to do what they think is right. I just have never thought it was right to try to teach a child right from wrong by hitting them.

Bull. There is nothing wrong with PH or myself. I think people have taken this subject way out of context. Studies find this and studies find that....well, what kind of people are they studying? I don't think that looking at Hitler or others like him really shows anything...they need to look at the general population. Number can be skewed to fit where they are needed....

I remember being about 6 and we went to visit my Grandma in Wisconson. I wanted chicken and dumpling's like my Dad's Mom made here in KY. All I said was "these aren't dumpling's". Boy, the next thing I know my Mom went out and cut a switch off. (never made a comment like that again, I promise).

Add me to the BS foundation. My parents spanked us ( eight children ) and we loved and respected them BIG TIME! We were a healthy rowdy bunch, but definately knew our limits.

There were families that I knew who whipped the heck out of their children...definately crossed that line, and raised children that spent a lot of time in the court system.

I personally did not spank my children, which was the right choice for my family and......so far so good!

Life tends to sway back and forth. I would not judge someone who spanks if done so within limits.

Try a Locust tree. Those thorns HURT!

Try a river cane. My twin sister and I used to run around the dinner table from my mother after misbehaving, and she couldn't catch us or reach us with a fly swat or switch. She solved that problem by having a fisherman bring her a cane pole. She didn't abuse us with it, but we knew we were now in reach, so... take your medicine with the swatter and get it over.:D

Good thing they won't be coercing people into sex, they'll have more time to shoot up a school...:irked:

Honestly, did school shootings take place before the "timeout" era?

Yes, I think they did. School shootings date all the way back to the 60's and 70's.