Spanking children can lead to problems later in life, study finds

HOMELESS CAMEL

I was spanked as a child and I spanked my children when they were young. My children are grown now and this is one of those things that, if I had a do-over, I would not spank. As long as it is done properly and never in anger, I would not condemn someone else spanking, but as for me and with the advantage of hindsight, I would try another means of disipline.

By the way, I was "spanked" with a belt and switch a few times, something I would never do to my own children. That seems to be at best borderline child abuse to me.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, not all kids respond the same way. For some, spanking is the only thing that gets through to them.

I dont disagree with you there. As stated before, I dont judge those who spank their kids. Indeed, all kids ARE different.

My disagreement was with your statement that you can tell the difference between a disciplined child and a "time out" child. You stated a disciplined child has manners. I know many children who were raised as "time out" children who have perfect manners. As stated, they learned manners and respect at home.

I dont disagree with you there. As stated before, I dont judge those who spank their kids. Indeed, all kids ARE different.

My disagreement was with your statement that you can tell the difference between a disciplined child and a "time out" child. You stated a disciplined child has manners. I know many children who were raised as "time out" children who have perfect manners. As stated, they learned manners and respect at home.

There are those that were "time out" kids that were raised by good parents that aren't as well mannered as they should be. A good swat now and then would have done them some good.

Never say never, you'll be shocked at how kids from the same family can be so different.

SAY NO TO TIME OUTS !:p To each his own though ! I love the counting method I see used sometimes, I think some of them are on one million-one by now ! Talk does not always work. I have several school teachers in the family and beleive me there are a lot of spoiled kid out there now. New cars, ten year olds with cell phones. Only the best clothes for them , even if they are going to out grow them in three months! Crazy! I also think the school shootings became more popular when the news media starting making ten day news reports out of them.

I will most definitely say never, and it's possible to get through to any child without physical force. Are all parents capable of that? No, but it is possible.

Give me a heads up when your kid is about to blow my kids school up...;)

Just kidding. Seriously, I agree with you that it is possible. It most definitely is possible. But my way of disciplining is more like an eye for an eye. If one son hits another, is it right to chastise them, take something away or put them in timeout? IMO, no way. That teaches nothing.

take something away or put them in timeout? IMO, no way. That teaches nothing.

I agree that timeout and taking things away doesn't do much either. When I was young I got in my fair of trouble but nothing serious. I was never once grounded, put in timeout, had things taken away, spanked or anything else of that nature and I turned out just fine. I'm' your typical college student who studies hard and parties harder but as far as other people are concerned, especially elders I couldn't be more respectful and mindful of my surroundings. If you have the ability to talk to your kids on a personal level and develop their understanding of each situation as it comes it will teach your kids so many life lessons, opposed to hitting them so they just try not to get caught the next time when they do something wrong.