Spanking children can lead to problems later in life, study finds

HOMELESS CAMEL

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats wrong with society is you have too many people having kids that shouldnt be allowed because they do not parent. Its easy to make a baby but very difficult to raise a child and many parents that have kids who are out of control simply do not parent. All my Dad had to do was raise the hand and I stood corrected, that was all I needed. Nowdays you can blame parents who dont discipline with a whipping but I blame them more for not parenting to begin with and that includes showing the kids love as well. I am a firm believer that the right to have kids should have some sort of screening process.

I support parents right to spank, I think it can be useful and it often works well as part of a loving discipline. I got spanked, a lot. I deserved every one of them, but I don't know that the spankings were very much of a deterrent for me.

I also had time outs sometimes when I got in trouble. I had to take time out from the things I wanted to do and instead spend my time, all of it, doing manual labor around the house. A couple of days of working around the house from morning to night will give you a lot of time out to think. That was much more effective on me than a useless spanking that lasted less than a minute.

Could solving a problem with violence (i.e. spanking) cause a child to later in life try and solve another problem with violence and end up in jail? Possibly.

I don't think so. As adults, there are very painful punishments that you will get if you don't follow the rules (laws). I think not spanking....if needed and other things have been tried....will do more damage than not spanking. What are you teaching your child if they do not respect rules? These are the children, that when they grow up, will not be handle "no" as an answer and will end up in jail....they are the one's who will use violence to try to solve a problem because they are used to using the temper tantrum getting to get their way...this will not stop as an adult.

Whipped by my mother with a hairbrush (weird, huh?) and father with a belt. Also received more than my fair share of paddlings at school. Back then some of the teachers actually took pride in the type of paddle they had. Some would even drill holes in it so that it would cut down on wind resistence as they were swinging it (seriously). It must have worked because I remember a couple of swats stinging pretty badly. Nonethleless, I think I turned out okay. I haven't committed any serious crimes and, in fact, now investigate people who do. ;) That being said, I don't agree that corporal punishment in school is (or was) proper. I did spank my kids, but did so sparingly, as I thought there were usually better and more appropriate forms of punishment. I usually saved those for the more serious "infractions." :cry:

I support parents right to spank, I think it can be useful and it often works well as part of a loving discipline. I got spanked, a lot. I deserved every one of them, but I don't know that the spankings were very much of a deterrent for me.

I also had time outs sometimes when I got in trouble. I had to take time out from the things I wanted to do and instead spend my time, all of it, doing manual labor around the house. A couple of days of working around the house from morning to night will give you a lot of time out to think. That was much more effective on me than a useless spanking that lasted less than a minute.

:thumb:Good post Watusi, I posted earlier that I was also "spanked" and I certainly deserved every one of them.

I also was diciplined in the ways of privliges taken away and doing work (extra work) around the yard and property. Nothing quite like being awaken at around 6-7am, thinking that you were going fishing and then spending the rest of a very hot summer day on a ladder with a scraper and paint brush in had to make you think about things in a different way (and do it right or guess who will be re painting). :D:thumb:.

If he don't get away from me I'm gonna test the thread topic.

I have four boys and each one is different and is handled that way, but the first one I feel sorry for because he had a rookie as a Dad. I did as the Bible taught me.

Sidenote...I've never ever had a teacher/coach/sunday school teacher come to and complain about my kids behavior. Never.

We got the belt or the willow tree out front:) The thing it did was strike fear and made sure we didn't make the same mistake twice. My parents are such great people and gentle now. It blows my mind thinking they whipped us with belts and willow switches now that I'm older and there is no way I would whip my kid with a willow switch or a belt. I have whipped with my hand but I try to stay away from it as much as I can now.

I got paddled a couple of times in school too. I couldn't imagine another teacher whipping my kid but I also know that kids in school have NO fear of what a teacher can do to them which is A MAJOR PROBLEM in our schools today.

I got spanked and have a successful life with no violence in my record.

These studies are crazy. It depends on who pays for them and what results they want. There are studies that say time out is good, some say the are bad. I don't read into much of these things when they come out.

I think it is knowing there are consequences that make the difference. Most of us will do what is right when we know that we will be punished. However if all you hear is im gonna spank you and never followed thru the fear is not there. You don't use spankings for everything but kids need to know that you care enough to take the trouble to discipline them. I would personally hate to have a child that everyone hated to see coming due to their bad behaviour and then listen to the parents keep threatening them .