Pete Rose news.....

So at first he never bet, then he did bet. Then he stated he only bet on the Reds to win, then BASEBALL meant that he was basically betting against them in the games he didn't place bets. Now he's come full circle, he deserves to be in on stats alone but this really doesn't help the cause, only proves that he's lied multiple times, we all knew that, what's his next move?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't believe Pete Rose. He has lied to us way too many times.

But if you could believe him, and if you do believe this latest revelation, then I ask, is it good for his cause or bad?

A lot of both sides have been covered, but I can really see where this latest "honest confession" could be seen as a positive for his case, if it were true.

I was always under the idea that he bet on the Reds sometimes, not all the time, but always to win. Now he says he bet on the Reds all the time, every game, to win. That levels it out a bit.

It takes away some of the doubts lbbc outlined about personnel, substitutions, etc. It makes each game as important as any other, financially. He may have $5k on the game, but he will have it on the next game too, and he will need that closer in each game.

It softens the view of his misdeed, IMO.

BUT, is it a spin? Is it just the latest desperate attempt to turn the heart of the commish? Pete's history of lying to us for his benefit doesn't build up a whole lot of trust, so why trust him now?

And the fact will always remain, he broke the one rule in baseball that no one can break. It’s posted in every clubhouse in multiple languages: You bet on the game, you’re out for life with no hope of parole.

There is no defense for that, short of changing the rule. And that rule goes all the way back to 1919, and for good reason.

But if you could believe him, and if you do believe this latest revelation, then I ask, is it good for his cause or bad?

A lot of both sides have been covered, but I can really see where this latest "honest confession" could be seen as a positive for his case, if it were true.

I was always under the idea that he bet on the Reds sometimes, not all the time, but always to win. Now he says he bet on the Reds all the time, every game, to win. That levels it out a bit.

It takes away some of the doubts lbbc outlined about personnel, substitutions, etc. It makes each game as important as any other, financially. He may have $5k on the game, but he will have it on the next game too, and he will need that closer in each game.

BUT, is it a spin? Is it just the latest desperate attempt to turn the heart of the commish? Pete's history of lying to us for his benefit doesn't build up a whole lot of trust, so why trust him now?

And the fact will always remain, he broke the one rule in baseball that no one can break. It’s posted in every clubhouse in multiple languages: You bet on the game, you’re out for life with no hope of parole.

There is no defense for that, short of changing the rule. And that rule goes all the way back to 1919, and for good reason.

All good points. IMO though, there should be many, many more rules posted with that warning in the locker room...

I'd be fine with a postumous induction. I just know he needs to be in...

IMO this hurts his cause. Look at the 1987 Reds pitching staff and then convince yourself that Pete bet on the Reds EVERY night. It didn't happen. He's lying. He still can't come clean.

Pete was a GREAT player. But he just can't seem to let the stink from the issues he created die down enough to have ANY shot at the HOF.

Pete, ... a little advice for you pal, ... a pile of manure will continue to smell if you keep stirring it up and adding more onto it.

Pete Rose was always my favorite player ever since I was a little leaguer,

and always will be. He deserves to be in the HOF because of the way he played. Sure He did something stupid. Forgive and forget, just get over it.

How many of you anti-Pete Rose fans watched him play in person ? If you did see him, you would know He gave 100% all the time. He's still the greatest base-hitter of all time and nobody can take that away.

I heard something he said the other day at the Reds Hall of Fame gathering that was awesome. As dumb as he is he has two of my favorite sayings.

1) "Jesus told the Cubs, "Don't win anything until I get back." CLASSIC!!!

2) "Baseball plays more games than anyone, they play more than football, hockey and basketball. I have broken many, many records. I have won (approximately 2300 games(sorry)) and I played as long as anyone. The one thing I'm most proud of is that I just might be the winningest person that has ever lived."

This is off the top of my head so it's not exact but it's close. In terms of sports, I love it. Personal life, that's a different story.

I'll never be the Commish, but I would compromise in this way.

Pete gets an exhibit in the HOF (and maybe there's one there already, I don't know), replete with bats and other memorabilia; maybe even the chunk of turf where the hit that broke Cobb's record landed. Prominently posted at the entrance to said exhibit will be some kind of sign/poster explaining why the exhibit is in the Hall but also why the man is not.

I'll agree with RP, he should be inducted posthumously so as not to financially benefit from inclusion into the Hall.

Pete Rose lied for 15 years. How can you trust him now?

He knew the rule about gambling. Every player, coach, manager, trainer etc. see the rule every day in the clubhouse. The penalty for gambling on baseball is a LIFETIME ban, Rose is still alive so he is still banned.

The arguments about steroids and other issues is not germaine to this argument because at present the penalty for using those is not a lifetime ban, although I think it should be. I would agree that users should be banned from the HOF but that's not how the rules now read.

Rose wants in now to stroke his overblown ego and to increase his value on the autograph circuit. I agree with the person who said that on the first ballot after he dies, Rose should be inducted but his memorial should include an explaination about why he wasn't enshrined until then.