Pete Rose news.....

This is something that I think we all knew but didn't want to really hear. I was a huge Pete Rose fan as I was growing up and I tried to play the game the way he did. This is a bittersweet day for Rose fans but it was time he told the truth.

I have lost respect for Rose but it doesn't take away all the memories I had watching him with the Big Red Machine. He was and always will be one of my all time favorite baseball players.

:thumb: :thumb:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I listened to this on the radio today, I began to wonder why we think that his gambling on baseball would ONLY include his managing days. He is arrogant and cocky enough to bet on games when he was playing because there was no way he would let his team lose.

Also, he claims that he never bet on them to do anything but win. And yet he has been lying for HOW MANY years about betting at all? Like we can believe this one now.

This to me just confirms that he should not be elected in the HOF. Just punishment that he does not ever see his election for what he has done.

After he has passed on, they want to put him in based on stats, I could see that. But no way should he able to see his election into the HOF.

Pete should be selected to the HOF and then immediately banned from Baseball for the rest of his life including no induction ceremony.

As Pete gradually comes to the realization that he won't live to see himself indicted into the Hall, one has to wonder what new permutations of his story will evolve.

For years, he steadfastly maintained that he didn't bet on baseball, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. He eventually said that he did, but only on the Reds. Now that has been refined a bit where he bet on the Reds every day, even though I've heard that the Dowd report doesn't support that. On the surface, that's more palatable than betting on the Reds once in a while, but for reasons already explained in this thread, still not appropriate.

What will be next? I mean, we've pretty much come from "I didn't bet on baseball" to "I never DIDN'T bet on baseball".

As Pete gradually comes to the realization that he won't live to see himself indicted into the Hall, one has to wonder what new permutations of his story will evolve.

For years, he steadfastly maintained that he didn't bet on baseball, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. He eventually said that he did, but only on the Reds. Now that has been refined a bit where he bet on the Reds every day, even though I've heard that the Dowd report doesn't support that. On the surface, that's more palatable than betting on the Reds once in a while, but for reasons already explained in this thread, still not appropriate.

What will be next? I mean, we've pretty much come from "I didn't bet on baseball" to "I never DIDN'T bet on baseball".

Not too big of a change. Only one word and five letters change.:D

I was a huge Rose fan and defended him on betting throughout the 90's and until his book came out. I was one of those that he suckered in and I believed him. He won't sucker me in again on an emotional plea.

He knew the rules and MOST IMPORTANTLY knew the consequences. And he did it anyhow. HE CHOSE HIS FATE. MLB is just enforcing it.

Sorry, that was supposed to be inducted. Honest mistake.

Year League Team Age G W L WP Finish

+----+-----------+--------+---+-----+----+----+------+------+

1984 NL West Cincnnti 43 41 19 22 .463 5 Player/Manager

1985 NL West Cincnnti 44 162 89 72 .553 2 Player/Manager

1986 NL West Cincnnti 45 162 86 76 .531 2 Player/Manager

1987 NL West Cincnnti 46 162 84 78 .519 2

1988 NL West Cincnnti 47 134 75 59 .560 2

1989 NL West Cincnnti 48 125 59 66 .472 5

+----+-----------+--------+---+-----+----+----+------+------+

TOTAL 786 412 373 .525

So they should change the rules that Pete played and manage UNDER and knew about EVERYDAY he entered the clubhouse, just because he is Pete Rose? He made a conscious choice to disregard the rules he KNEW were in place. Let him live with HIS CHOICE.

This is not about it being a MLB choice. He knew the rules and either was too arrogant to think he had to abide by them or too stupid to realize what would happen. I think it was the former.

No they shouldn't just because he is Pete Rose, they should because he is one of the best BASEBALL PLAYERS OF ALL TIME. And the Hall of Fame is a place for the best players of all time. When it says Hall of Fame, it should be for the best baseball players, and not be decided on what stupid decisions he made. Because like it or not, on the field he was a GREAT PLAYER! I mean yeah he betted on baseball, and that is something that he should not have done, but by giving him a lifetime ban is like saying that is the worst possible thing someone could ever do and IMO it is not. The punishment is like the same as someone who receives a lifetime sentence in Jail, and well betting on baseball and doing something that someone would receive a lifetime sentence for is something that should be the samething. By judging by the way he played, where it showed that he gave it everything he could every day he was on the field, it is shown that he didn't go out there trying to blow any games. Now if there was evidence showing that he went out there trying to lose games, then that should be something that deserves a lifetime ban because that is effecting the outcome of the game. However when someone is going out there and giving everything he can to try to help his team win, and being one of the best baseball players of all time while doing it, that deserves to be in the hall of fame. He should be giving the chance sometime in his lifetime to hear his name called into the hall of fame, because what he did on the field is what matters, and what he did being one of the best of all time...

However, the Selection Committee is taking into account that Pete Rose the player and Pete Rose the manager are the same, indivisable person. While employed by a Major League club, Rose gambled on baseball, not only on baseball, but his own team. Going further, with his track record of lying, how many of you believe that he did some insider trading and gambled on the Reds to lose? I find it possible.

No they shouldn't just because he is Pete Rose, they should because he is one of the best BASEBALL PLAYERS OF ALL TIME. And the Hall of Fame is a place for the best players of all time. When it says Hall of Fame, it should be for the best baseball players, and not be decided on what stupid decisions he made. Because like it or not, on the field he was a GREAT PLAYER! I mean yeah he betted on baseball, and that is something that he should not have done, but by giving him a lifetime ban is like saying that is the worst possible thing someone could ever do and IMO it is not. The punishment is like the same as someone who receives a lifetime sentence in Jail, and well betting on baseball and doing something that someone would receive a lifetime sentence for is something that should be the samething. By judging by the way he played, where it showed that he gave it everything he could every day he was on the field, it is shown that he didn't go out there trying to blow any games. Now if there was evidence showing that he went out there trying to lose games, then that should be something that deserves a lifetime ban because that is effecting the outcome of the game. However when someone is going out there and giving everything he can to try to help his team win, and being one of the best baseball players of all time while doing it, that deserves to be in the hall of fame. He should be giving the chance sometime in his lifetime to hear his name called into the hall of fame, because what he did on the field is what matters, and what he did being one of the best of all time...

Shoeless Joe should go in before Rose.

However, the Selection Committee is taking into account that Pete Rose the player and Pete Rose the manager are the same, indivisable person. While employed by a Major League club, Rose gambled on baseball, not only on baseball, but his own team. Going further, with his track record of lying, how many of you believe that he did some insider trading and gambled on the Reds to lose? I find it possible.

I think you're close, but I've always heard it a bit different. He did bet on the Reds every day he thought they'd win. When he didn't it was like gold to the black market network...

Rose deserves to be in the HOF because of what he did on the field....If they decide to wait until he is dead to enshrine hime then I had better see an astericks next to Barry Bonds name,because Hank Aaron deserves better!!!!

Rose is in the HOF, at least the 'Fan's HOF'. His accomplishments on the field have nothing to do with his personal life. At least what he did with his baseball skills were not enhanced with illigal substances.