Pete Rose news.....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I listened to this on the radio today, I began to wonder why we think that his gambling on baseball would ONLY include his managing days. He is arrogant and cocky enough to bet on games when he was playing because there was no way he would let his team lose.

Also, he claims that he never bet on them to do anything but win. And yet he has been lying for HOW MANY years about betting at all? Like we can believe this one now.

This to me just confirms that he should not be elected in the HOF. Just punishment that he does not ever see his election for what he has done.

After he has passed on, they want to put him in based on stats, I could see that. But no way should he able to see his election into the HOF.

Why is what he did any different than breaking the steroid policy? Heck, Strawberry and Gooden have been given more chances than anyone and they are still around. The list of people that have done things wrong and gotten slapped on the wrist is pretty long. I agree that Pete was wrong, without a doubt but, i guess everyone isnt treated fairly!!!

You know what? He says he bet for the Reds to win everygame...if that's true, then that would give him more incentive to win.

Or make a decision that was good for that game but not good for the Reds season. Got $5,000 on the game and the closer has pitched 5 straight nights. He needs to win this game so he puts him in for the 6th straight night.

Or how about a player is fatigued and played 50 straight games and could use a game off, but ole Petey has $10,000 on the game that night. Need you out there, Eric.

This is something that I think we all knew but didn't want to really hear. I was a huge Pete Rose fan as I was growing up and I tried to play the game the way he did. This is a bittersweet day for Rose fans but it was time he told the truth.

I have lost respect for Rose but it doesn't take away all the memories I had watching him with the Big Red Machine. He was and always will be one of my all time favorite baseball players.

As I listened to this on the radio today, I began to wonder why we think that his gambling on baseball would ONLY include his managing days. He is arrogant and cocky enough to bet on games when he was playing because there was no way he would let his team lose.

Also, he claims that he never bet on them to do anything but win. And yet he has been lying for HOW MANY years about betting at all? Like we can believe this one now.

This to me just confirms that he should not be elected in the HOF. Just punishment that he does not ever see his election for what he has done.

After he has passed on, they want to put him in based on stats, I could see that. But no way should he able to see his election into the HOF.

And why is that? Its the baseball hall of fame, its for the best baseball players to ever live, and he is one of the best and deserves to be in. Yeah he did something he shouldn't have done which is bet on baseball, but from his effort sure didn't look like he was trying to lose ANY games. He is a person that tried to make more money, but being so cocky that he thought he could get his team to win anygame. Yeah he shouldn't have bet on baseball, and he has deserved a big punishment, but I think the punishment he has gotten has been long enough. He deserves now to get the chance to hear his name announced into the hall of fame...

And why is that? Its the baseball hall of fame, its for the best baseball players to ever live, and he is one of the best and deserves to be in. Yeah he did something he shouldn't have done which is bet on baseball, but from his effort sure didn't look like he was trying to lose ANY games. He is a person that tried to make more money, but being so cocky that he thought he could get his team to win anygame. Yeah he shouldn't have bet on baseball, and he has deserved a big punishment, but I think the punishment he has gotten has been long enough. He deserves now to get the chance to hear his name announced into the hall of fame...

So they should change the rules that Pete played and manage UNDER and knew about EVERYDAY he entered the clubhouse, just because he is Pete Rose? He made a conscious choice to disregard the rules he KNEW were in place. Let him live with HIS CHOICE.

This is not about it being a MLB choice. He knew the rules and either was too arrogant to think he had to abide by them or too stupid to realize what would happen. I think it was the former.

Now...later...whatever but you can put womanizing drunks, drug addicts, cheats, steroid users...etc. in the HOF and cry foul because the integrity of the game was compromised. If those other things don't compromise the integrity of the game I'm 6'5"...

If those other things don't compromise the integrity of the game I'm 6'5"...
And...he isn't. ;)

Pete is a jerk; but he belongs in the Hall of Fame for his achievements as a player. The Hall loses a lot without his presence.