2025-2026 Football Realignment

theguru

On 7/3/2023 at 7:42 AM, Tkinslow said:

I agree I feel like we worry way to much about travel. 

Completely different animal, comparing a spring baseball trip to Fl to a 3 hour trip with a football team. Baseball isn’t loading up 50+ guys and a trailer full of equipment in the middle of a school day to play a game that night and then turn around and go home. A baseball team takes maybe 20 guys, on one bus a day or two before they play, and stay down there for a few days. A baseball trip like that is part work, part vacation and way easier. I’ve done both, and I’ll take the baseball trip over the football trip any day of the week.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Completely different animal, comparing a spring baseball trip to Fl to a 3 hour trip with a football team. Baseball isn’t loading up 50+ guys and a trailer full of equipment in the middle of a school day to play a game that night and then turn around and go home. A baseball team takes maybe 20 guys, on one bus a day or two before they play, and stay down there for a few days. A baseball trip like that is part work, part vacation and way easier. I’ve done both, and I’ll take the baseball trip over the football trip any day of the week.

I’m not saying it ain’t harder but schools travel for long away games every year seems like the only people that complain about it are the people not associated with the programs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

I’m not saying it ain’t harder but schools travel for long away games every year seems like the only people that complain about it are the people not associated with the programs.

It really depends on your situation. Teams that typically have these sorts of trips, usually have the means to make that sort of trip easier, and willingly sign up for trip. On the other hand, forcing teams who don’t have the means to make these sorts of trips a couple of times a year is a different story. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just saw on social media that Cov Cath currently has 157 enrolled freshmen with more students inquiring about transferring in as members of the Class of 2027. (I know this year has the biggest group of transfers from Covington Latin in memory, among others.)

That will be a pretty notably boost to the current enrollment...which may have an effect on this next alignment. If the trend continues, we'll definitely see Cov Cath back in 5A soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Royal Blue said:

Transfers from Latin probably won’t be a big boost to the Covcath football team. 

No but realignment in 2025-26 in strictly a numbers game; no more playing up. Any male student, football player or not, will push the school closer to a return to Class 5A.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

So the KHSAA will determine this reclassification during the 2024 calendar year correct?  

From this old release, it looks like by February of 2024:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: JAN. 18, 2023

The KHSAA Board of Control conducted its fourth regularly scheduled meeting of the 2022-23 academic year on Wednesday in Lexington, approving football realignment and revisions to the RPI calculations, as well as the placement of Jenkins in Region 14 for basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball.

The Board’s approved football realignment will be effective during the 2023 and 2024 seasons. The current enrollment data used for the 2023 and 2024 classifications are from the 2019-20 and 2022-23 school years. Following significant discussion, the Board elected to adopt a two-year alignment so that the realignment process could begin anew next year (in conjunction with the receipt of fall 2023 enrollment numbers) to allow completion by February 2024, giving schools more than one year to resolve scheduling issues for 2025 and beyond.

The Board approved the recommendation for football RPI calculations to allow for two “down-play” games. This will permit each team’s first two games played against an opponent from a lower class not to include the class factor, allowing even the perception of RPI impact not to impact scheduling. The RPI factor of out-of-state opponents remains unchanged for the 2023 football season. The Board also elected to adjust football RPI calculations regarding the withdrawal of teams from competition. The RPI class factor will stay the same for any school that withdraws during the season at the level of that team when game contracts were signed (rather than defaulting to a no-class factor if a team withdraws).

The Board approved Jenkins’ request to relocate from Region 15 to Region 14, which was unanimously supported by members of both regions. Starting with the 2023-24 school year, Jenkins will be placed in Region 14, District 53, for basketball and all sports that use basketball alignment as a framework (baseball, softball, volleyball).

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, theguru said:

From this old release, it looks like by February of 2024:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: JAN. 18, 2023

The KHSAA Board of Control conducted its fourth regularly scheduled meeting of the 2022-23 academic year on Wednesday in Lexington, approving football realignment and revisions to the RPI calculations, as well as the placement of Jenkins in Region 14 for basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball.

The Board’s approved football realignment will be effective during the 2023 and 2024 seasons. The current enrollment data used for the 2023 and 2024 classifications are from the 2019-20 and 2022-23 school years. Following significant discussion, the Board elected to adopt a two-year alignment so that the realignment process could begin anew next year (in conjunction with the receipt of fall 2023 enrollment numbers) to allow completion by February 2024, giving schools more than one year to resolve scheduling issues for 2025 and beyond.

The Board approved the recommendation for football RPI calculations to allow for two “down-play” games. This will permit each team’s first two games played against an opponent from a lower class not to include the class factor, allowing even the perception of RPI impact not to impact scheduling. The RPI factor of out-of-state opponents remains unchanged for the 2023 football season. The Board also elected to adjust football RPI calculations regarding the withdrawal of teams from competition. The RPI class factor will stay the same for any school that withdraws during the season at the level of that team when game contracts were signed (rather than defaulting to a no-class factor if a team withdraws).

The Board approved Jenkins’ request to relocate from Region 15 to Region 14, which was unanimously supported by members of both regions. Starting with the 2023-24 school year, Jenkins will be placed in Region 14, District 53, for basketball and all sports that use basketball alignment as a framework (baseball, softball, volleyball).

Going to get rid of the OOWP. That has 30% of the RPI rating. 

When I see LCA who beat CAL (3-A Champs), BG (5-A champs), and lose to Boyle Co. (possibly the best team in all classes but is the 4-A Champ) and LCA has to go on the road to Mayfield in the 3rd round? Boyle goes on the road in the 4th round? Corbin had to play Boyle in the 3rd round?

One 2-A team last didn't make the playoffs and were ranked 4th in the RPI? 

Yes there are some flaws. I think you have to take out OOWP. That has too much weight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimeWillTell said:

Going to get rid of the OOWP. That has 30% of the RPI rating. 

When I see LCA who beat CAL (3-A Champs), BG (5-A champs), and lose to Boyle Co. (possibly the best team in all classes but is the 4-A Champ) and LCA has to go on the road to Mayfield in the 3rd round? Boyle goes on the road in the 4th round? Corbin had to play Boyle in the 3rd round?

One 2-A team last didn't make the playoffs and were ranked 4th in the RPI? 

Yes there are some flaws. I think you have to take out OOWP. That has too much weight.

I am not the expert there TWT but I do think there needs to be a major change with out of state games.

And I hate to keep beating this drum, but Kentucky High School Football would be better served by using Calpreps or even the TP94 Power Ratings vs. RPI. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, theguru said:

I am not the expert there TWT but I do think there needs to a major change with out of state games.

And I hate to keep beating this drum, but Kentucky High School Football would be better served by using Calpreps or even the TP94 Power Ratings vs. RPI. 

Agreed with both of these points. With as much information as there is on high school sports there is no reason for the out-of-state issue to be so complex. You shouldn't be punished for playing good teams from other states, nor should border schools be punished for playing teams that are much closer in proximity to them than teams actually in Kentucky.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Agreed with both of these points. With as much information as there is on high school sports there is no reason for the out-of-state issue to be so complex. You shouldn't be punished for playing good teams from other states, nor should border schools be punished for playing teams that are much closer in proximity to them than teams actually in Kentucky.

Exactly and at the end of the day this is another KHSAA issue that adversely affects children.