Ludlow New Field 2023

Terrific for Ludlow, "the little city that could," coming on the heels of their baseball field makeover too.Ā 

Distinctive and easy to find ...

from across the river at Mt. Echo Park on Price Hill. šŸ§

Remaining NKY (Boone-Kenton-Campbell) fields to be turfed - Bellevue, Dayton, Lloyd Memorial ... ?

10 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

Terrific for Ludlow, "the little city that could," coming on the heels of their baseball field makeover too.Ā 

Remaining NKY (Boone-Kenton-Campbell) fields to be turfed - Bellevue, Dayton, Lloyd Memorial ... ?

Some chatter back in the summer about Dayton building a stadium near their school. Not sure if thatā€™s happening or if there is a timeline, but Iā€™d imagine it would be turf.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I heard the same rumor about Dayton as well. Selfishly Iā€™d like them to keep Davis field but I understand why theyā€™d build a new one. Great memories playing there with the smoke coming off the hill on the stands side and the neighbors watching from their back decks. Crowd right on top of you as well.Ā 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Breds82 said:

I heard the same rumor about Dayton as well. Selfishly Iā€™d like them to keep Davis field but I understand why theyā€™d build a new one. Great memories playing there with the smoke coming off the hill on the stands side and the neighbors watching from their back decks. Crowd right on top of you as well.Ā 

Dayton is one of my favorite stadiums. A step back in time with the old WPA stone workmanship. The stands are right on top of the field. There is most intimate football stadium I know of.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 10:06 PM, Runcible Owl said:

We've got a @Runcible Owl sighting!

1 hour ago, Royal Blue said:

If the turf is actually going to be red, thatā€™s awful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that color scheme would be hard to look at very often.Ā 

I think nearly everyone will like this design, and a large percentage are going to absolutely love it. I have heard very few negative responses about the red turf. I feel like this is going to be a home run for Ludlow and really be something positive for the community.

Ā 

• Like 1

I know Warren Eastā€™s field is hard to look at. Iā€™m not particularly a fan of non green fields or turf for that matter. I guess Iā€™m a dinosaur but I do understand there is less up keep for the turf fields and I would assume less cost over the life of the field. I guess I just think back to my days and how much I loved the smell of that natural grass.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nkypete said:

It would nice (by highly expensive) to protect such a beautiful field with a flood wall because you know that it will get covered by the Ohio River at some point.

That's an Army Corps of Engineers responsibility, actually, and not the city's.

That was something I was wondering about, though. I know Newport had to replace their field surface and infill substrate after their flooding a handful of years back. I'm not sure how often Ludlow's field floods, but it seems like I remember it happening more frequently than Newport's, at least.

As far as I know of, the field sterilization rigs are not powerful enough to clean up that kind of pollution load from a field. They're just generally suggested to be used roundabout annually to help keep things at optimal cleanliness after a year of field use and bodily fluid accumulation (blood, sweat, spit). They're definitely not intended for cleaning a flood's worth of sewer discharge from the river.

• Like 1