Ludlow New Field 2023

On 5/30/2023 at 12:37 PM, rjs4470 said:

The black, rubber pellets that fill in the turf absorb a lot of heat, even though they aren’t really visible. It would be interesting to see the effect red turf has on the temperature of the surface. When it’s 95 outside it probably doesn’t matter what color the turf is.

On 5/30/2023 at 12:44 PM, nkypete said:

Yep, tracking them into the house is a treat too.  I hear from my wife that I cause the vacuum cleaner to jam up.

I believe this is the infill it will get, no longer the black pellets.

https://themotzgroup.com/safeshell/

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I wasn't aware of this new infill, but if it works as described, it's a game changer for the heat issues we experience on turf fields. 

Yes, Motz has this one and another one that looks green. I had heard that this new infill is also supposed to help with draining concerns if there was to be flooding down there. Will stay put to avoid erosion. 

I love the look, but agree, the rubber pellets are on par with pine needles from the Xmas tree and sand.

Don't let anyone say the field doesn’t look sharp, it looks awesome. The temperature can’t be that much of an issue or it wouldn’t be allowed to be used.

One of my high school football teammates checked out the new field yesterday.  Back in the day we played against Ludlow twice a year and on occasion players from both teams would party together on the weekends.  

dimage.jpg

• Like 1

I love the look of the field, but that black turf is going to be brutal for goalkeepers and officials working the sidelines.  You can feel the heat coming through the soles of your shoes when standing on black turf.  If they're not using the black rubber fill, it might not be as bad.

On 5/31/2023 at 1:57 PM, Tupac Shu-Coors Light said:

I believe this is the infill it will get, no longer the black pellets.

https://themotzgroup.com/safeshell/

They went with Motz's Envirofill product instead of their Safeshell product. Safeshell is made of pulverized walnut and hazelnut husks, whereas Envirofill is rounded granular quartz with Motz's proprietary coating over it. The Envirofill infill does not require field watering, is tan in color rather than the black rubber pellets' color that is more heat-absorptive, and it is supposed to last the life cycle of 2 turf field surfaces rather than requiring replacement every time the turf field surface requires replacement.

Not sure what the upcharge is for Envirofill, but it's definitely gonna cut down on water costs in the long-term life of the infill product.

FyHh109WAAEhAxJ.jpg

13 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

They went with Motz's Envirofill product instead of their Safeshell product. Safeshell is made of pulverized walnut and hazelnut husks, whereas Envirofill is rounded granular quartz with Motz's proprietary coating over it. The Envirofill infill does not require field watering, is tan in color rather than the black rubber pellets' color that is more heat-absorptive, and it is supposed to last the life cycle of 2 turf field surfaces rather than requiring replacement every time the turf field surface requires replacement.

Not sure what the upcharge is for Envirofill, but it's definitely gonna cut down on water costs in the long-term life of the infill product.

FyHh109WAAEhAxJ.jpg

You have to water artificial turf?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

You have to water artificial turf?

Yessir. Not everyone does it, but you are supposed to water artificial turf. Watering helps reduce the rate that the sun breaks down the artificial playing surface.

Ever seen an old plastic bottle that's been sitting out in the sun for a year?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1