2023-2024 Football Realignment

Seybold24

On 2/15/2022 at 8:10 PM, jsr4 said:

Warren County….I expect South Warren will move up to 6A. The growth in the southern part of the county continues with new subdivisions planned…All of the others: Greenwood, Warren East, Warren Central and Bowling Green I assume will remain in current slots..

South Warren should no doubt move to 6A. 

On 1/18/2022 at 9:38 AM, Kanaka Kahakai said:

Have you seen LCA's campus or walked through the hallways? It's made for an enrollment of 1K instead of 400ish. It's a MEGA building with acres of land around that surrounds it. 

They keep enrollment low to keep the student to teacher ratio manageable in order foster a good learning environment. The K-5 is at max capacity and there is a waiting list for middle school. Could they bring more kids into the HS? Possibly but it has zero to do with a 2A classification. Have you seen their football schedule the last few years? They had the overall top RPI in all classifications in 20 and 21. Last year they beat the 1A state champs and the 4A state champs. Beat a 6A final four team and the number 1 team in 3A. Coach Charles does all this with 50 or less kids, could you imagine if he had 80-100 on his HS roster. I do think you could see Belfry drop to 2A which will have an immediate impact. 

12 minutes ago, Tigerallamerican said:

They keep enrollment low to keep the student to teacher ratio manageable in order foster a good learning environment. The K-5 is at max capacity and there is a waiting list for middle school. Could they bring more kids into the HS? Possibly but it has zero to do with a 2A classification. Have you seen their football schedule the last few years? They had the overall top RPI in all classifications in 20 and 21. Last year they beat the 1A state champs and the 4A state champs. Beat a 6A final four team and the number 1 team in 3A. Coach Charles does all this with 50 or less kids, could you imagine if he had 80-100 on his HS roster. I do think you could see Belfry drop to 2A which will have an immediate impact. 

If Belfry moves to 2a it makes 2a more interesting. 

• Like 1

Any idea what Great Crossing/Scott County will do?

Great Crossing has about 1,200 students, and Scott County has dwindled to 800.  This would put Scott County at 4A.  But I think they will request to play up.  It would be hard to schedule district games when you are in two different districts and classes and share the same field.  

5 minutes ago, brooksville said:

Any idea what Great Crossing/Scott County will do?

Great Crossing has about 1,200 students, and Scott County has dwindled to 800.  This would put Scott County at 4A.  But I think they will request to play up.  It would be hard to schedule district games when you are in two different districts and classes and share the same field.  

It’s not as hard to schedule as one might think. Also the new field for Scott Co should be ready in the not so distance future. 

The numbers I’ve heard from Scott Co is Great Crossing is around 2k students and Scott Co is around 1100. That puts Scott Co in the typical bubble spot of 5A close to the bottom of enrollment. 

That district could look very different next cycle. 

Great Crossing: expected to move up

Fredrick Douglas: expected to move up

Scott Co: expected to stay 

MoCo: will stay 5A

Grant Co: expected to move down to 4A

Douglas could be interesting because they could be on the bubble of 5A/6A. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, barrel said:

It’s not as hard to schedule as one might think. Also the new field for Scott Co should be ready in the not so distance future. 

The numbers I’ve heard from Scott Co is Great Crossing is around 2k students and Scott Co is around 1100. That puts Scott Co in the typical bubble spot of 5A close to the bottom of enrollment. 

That district could look very different next cycle. 

Great Crossing: expected to move up

Fredrick Douglas: expected to move up

Scott Co: expected to stay 

MoCo: will stay 5A

Grant Co: expected to move down to 4A

Douglas could be interesting because they could be on the bubble of 5A/6A. 

Looking at the Kentucky School Report Card data from 2020-2021 shows Great Crossing at 1,200+ and Scott County at 800+.

The 2021-2022 data comes out next week.  

The 2022-2023 enrollment data has not been collected yet.  There is a Superintendent Annual Attendance Report Taken after the first two months of school which is sent to KDE.  

Lots of talk about enrollment numbers moving schools. In reality, the class size balance (I.e. how many teams per class make for balanced class numbers) PLUS enrollment size will dictate who lands where. 

I would predict very little change from the current alignment.

I'll also say that you will see a pretty significant enrollment interval between the smallest 5A and biggest 5A schools.

I think 6A will stay looking like 6A in terms of the teams as will 1A.

2A and 3A may do some swapping.

4A remains essentially the same unless Highlands and Cov. Cath do some moving.

But 5A may see a pretty big difference in enrollment between the smallest and biggest teams in the class. 

Just basing that off of listening to people who are smarter than me. 

The Scott Co and Great Crossing numbers I got from Coach McKee. They believe they will fall about smack in the middle of 5A. 

The way teams are currently broken into classes can be pretty brutal for some schools. Like was mentioned before in 5A there could be a pretty big gap between the top and bottom of the class. Being on the lower enrollment side and then getting thrown into a district with teams on the higher end can be really difficult. 

• 1 month later...

Serious question:  What is wrong with a school wanting to keep enrollment at a certain number per class to have a better student to teacher ratio?  I know some schools can't do that because of geography, but I have heard many times in newspaper interviews where supernatants were complaining because they don't have enough staff to give them a good ratio to instruct students.  If a school has the capability to hold that number at an appropriate level, why shouldn't they do that? 

• Like 2

• theguru changed the title to 2023-2024 Football Realignment