2023-2024 Football Realignment

Seybold24

On 12/10/2022 at 11:15 PM, gcbleedblue said:

There is zero chance they will only give far West Ky a 4 team district. I'm not sure what the reason is, but 5A District 1 is a lock for 6 teams. 6 teams that are 2-3 hours away from each other. Most spaced out and most teams has never made sense to me, but it seems it always happens. I'm sure there is a reason, I just haven’t figured it out yet. 

I wish KHSAA will put those 4 teams in a district that you mentioned. Madisonville is still an hour and a half away, but that beats the 2 hours and 30 minutes we have driven for district games in Bowling Green before. My poor son wouldn't get home until after 1 am traveling home from some District games.

I think you will see District 1 and District 2 change dramatically if South Warren and Apollo move down.

On 12/6/2022 at 12:13 AM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I really don't expect Cov Cath to move up to 5A. We're 14th out of 39 schools when it comes to enrollment in 4A. Plus, well, let's just say that word around town is that requesting to play up in class is not in the plans.

I'm looking at the 13 teams above us in 4A enrollment, and I don't really see a single one that makes me think they really have much, if any, reason to play up in 5A. Harlan County is offered first swing at moving down in classification if there's a 4A team that requests to move up to 5A. I think Harlan County would more than likely take the opportunity to move back down to 4A for the next alignment were they offered it. Assuming Harlan County will, in fact, move down if offered the chance, that means in order for Highlands to move down to 4A, there will have to be two 4A teams request to move up in classification. I honestly don't know if I can see two teams in 4A showing interest in moving up, but I could always be wrong.

Covcath isn’t dumb. They don’t want to move up to 5A. They know the pendulum is swinging back the other way for another decade or more of being dominated by the rival again. Highlands always played up in 5A to stay with Covcath when Covcath was the larger school, but it’s apparent Covcath won’t make the same choice now. 

Covcath just had the longest run over Highlands in their history prior to this year. It was a good 5-6 years run. Seemed longer for the Highlands fans because it was unprecedented. It ended though. The thing that’s probably upsetting if I’m a Covcath fan, is it only resulted in 2 titles, whereas Highlands was winning it all about every year while beating up on Covcath. 

4 minutes ago, Royal Blue said:

Covcath isn’t dumb. They don’t want to move up to 5A. They know the pendulum is swinging back the other way for another decade or more of being dominated by the rival again. Highlands always played up in 5A to stay with Covcath when Covcath was the larger school, but it’s apparent Covcath won’t make the same choice now. 

Covcath just had the longest run over Highlands in their history prior to this year. It was a good 5-6 years run. Seemed longer for the Highlands fans because it was unprecedented. It ended though. The thing that’s probably upsetting if I’m a Covcath fan, is it only resulted in 2 titles, whereas Highlands was winning it all about every year while beating up on Covcath. 

I'm not a Cov Cath fan, but I really don't believe the decision to stay in class is even remotely related to them wanting to avoid Highlands. Outside of maybe travel, I don't think there is any good reason for anybody to request to play up. I'm also not sure I agree the pendulum is for sure swinging the other way, especially for the next 10 years. Highlands had a nice year, but the landscape in NKY has changed a lot since Highlands had that dominant run. Neither team went deep in the playoffs this year, and both have some catching up to do to be considered elite.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I'm not a Cov Cath fan, but I really don't believe the decision to stay in class is even remotely related to them wanting to avoid Highlands. Outside of maybe travel, I don't think there is any good reason for anybody to request to play up. I'm also not sure I agree the pendulum is for sure swinging the other way, especially for the next 10 years. Highlands had a nice year, but the landscape in NKY has changed a lot since Highlands had that dominant run. Neither team went deep in the playoffs this year, and both have some catching up to do to be considered elite.

I agree, I don't think CovCath's decision had anything to do with Highlands. 

25 minutes ago, theguru said:

I agree, I don't think CovCath's decision had anything to do with Highlands. 

Correct. Enrollment below 475 and the feeder schools don’t seem to be producing the large class sizes like they had in 2015-2018.

But, I did hear this weekend the HHS is still going to try and move down if the pieces move the correct way. 

And I couldn’t disagree more with the thought that CovCath is finished and HHS is going to dominate the next decade. CovCath won last year on blocked FG, and lost this year by a pushed back safety kickoff that was returned. I think the years of 10 year droughts are over, and we’ll see back and forth for years to come. 

HHS isn’t above CovCath, they are even, and this rivalry isn’t going anywhere, and no love will be lost. 

• Like 1

Here's my take on 5A. There are 11 teams west of the Louisville area. I doubt they will force 1-2 of those teams to travel all the way to Louisville, so I think there will be a 5 team & a 6 team district in the west. Similarly, there are 6 schools in Northern KY that all very close to one another and not really close to anyone else. I think they create another 6 team district for those schools. In the Louisville area, I used I-65 as a dividing line because that's what they did last time.

District 1: Graves Co., Marshall Co., Madisonville N. Hopkins, Muhlenberg Co., Owensboro

District 2: Bowling Green, Greenwood, Warren Central, Grayson Co., Barren Co., Ohio Co.

District 3: Butler, Iroquois, Fairdale, Bullitt Central

District 4: Atheron, N. Bullit, Seneca, Moore

District 5: Woodford Co., Collins, S. Oldham, Anderson Co.

District 6: Highlands, Scott, Dixie Heights, Boone Co., Conner, Cooper

District 7: Madison Southern, Montgomery Co., East Jessamine, West Jessamine, Scott Co.

District 8: Southwestern, Pulaski Co., North Laurel, South Laurel, Harlan Co.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

I think you will see District 1 and District 2 change dramatically if South Warren and Apollo move down.

If that happens I would assume Barren moves up based on this thread. Meaning you'd have 12 teams here out west.

Graves, marshall, muhlenberg, madisonville, owensboro, apollo, grayson, ohio, and 4 bowling green schools 

They should do 3 districts with 4 teams if that were the case, but it wont happen. Theyll continue to make us drive 2.5 hours to one another. They’ll do 6 teams in D1 and 6 in D2. Always have. 

Maybe this is just me denying myself what would make the most sense. That way I don't get excited that I will get to go to games again. I can't do 4-5 hours on the road Friday nights anymore. 

34 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Added enrollment challenge going forward for Cov Cath will be St. Henry adding football.

I think this will certainly affect depth at Cov Cath. I don't think they'll lose any top players, but I can definitely see guys choosing St Henry to have a larger role. It will also pull some of the Boone County players looking for football and a Catholic education who now will have a closer option. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheConch said:

Correct. Enrollment below 475 and the feeder schools don’t seem to be producing the large class sizes like they had in 2015-2018.

But, I did hear this weekend the HHS is still going to try and move down if the pieces move the correct way. 

And I couldn’t disagree more with the thought that CovCath is finished and HHS is going to dominate the next decade. CovCath won last year on blocked FG, and lost this year by a pushed back safety kickoff that was returned. I think the years of 10 year droughts are over, and we’ll see back and forth for years to come. 

HHS isn’t above CovCath, they are even, and this rivalry isn’t going anywhere, and no love will be lost. 

Teams can't try to move down. They can request to play up. If multiple teams request to move up from 4A to 5A and Highlands is given the opportunity to move to 4A, I think they would do that. Have we heard of any teams that may be requesting to move from 4A to 5A?

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

Teams can't try to move down. They can request to play up. If multiple teams request to move up from 4A to 5A and Highlands is given the opportunity to move to 4A, I think they would do that. Have we heard of any teams that may be requesting to move from 4A to 5A?

Highlands will potentially have a chance at an offer to move down as the second-smallest 5A program. I think that's what The Conch was alluding to.

Hearing Lincoln County is weighing moving up from 4A to 5A. Western did the last time around, so they may or may not choose to again.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Just Truth said:

Here's my take on 5A. There are 11 teams west of the Louisville area. I doubt they will force 1-2 of those teams to travel all the way to Louisville, so I think there will be a 5 team & a 6 team district in the west. Similarly, there are 6 schools in Northern KY that all very close to one another and not really close to anyone else. I think they create another 6 team district for those schools. In the Louisville area, I used I-65 as a dividing line because that's what they did last time.

District 1: Graves Co., Marshall Co., Madisonville N. Hopkins, Muhlenberg Co., Owensboro

District 2: Bowling Green, Greenwood, Warren Central, Grayson Co., Barren Co., Ohio Co.

District 3: Butler, Iroquois, Fairdale, Bullitt Central

District 4: Atheron, N. Bullit, Seneca, Moore

District 5: Woodford Co., Collins, S. Oldham, Anderson Co.

District 6: Highlands, Scott, Dixie Heights, Boone Co., Conner, Cooper

District 7: Madison Southern, Montgomery Co., East Jessamine, West Jessamine, Scott Co.

District 8: Southwestern, Pulaski Co., North Laurel, South Laurel, Harlan Co.

This is the best one I’ve seen. Pretty accurate via Geography.

19 hours ago, Royal Blue said:

Highlands fans wonder why people took some pleasure in seeing Highlands being down overall these last 7 or so years. It is so good to see those arrogant post coming back. 

With that said, and I could be wrong on this. However, wasn’t these last four years the first time that Highlands was the actual one that decided to move up in order to stay with CovCath. In the past wasn’t it CovCath who was the one who usually had to move up or down in order to stay in the same district as Highlands?

I see nothing wrong with CovCath deciding to stay in 4A. Which if Highlands can move down, I think they will probably move down to 4A if they get a chance to. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

That’s what I was referring to. “If the pieces move the correct way”.

If teams could just move down in their own, it’d be the wild Wild West and 1A would be quite the class! 

But correct, if they have the option depending on 2 other teams moving up, I think it’s a no brainer for Highlands to move down as well. 

Unless, of course, they are avoiding the Colonels ;). 

• Like 2

• theguru changed the title to 2023-2024 Football Realignment