Jump to content

10th Region Tournament at Holmes?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jahearme said:

The only people that “vote” are the 4 Athletic Directors of the 37th district. There have been lots of behind the scene discussions prior to this past Wednesday’s meeting. This didn’t just come out of the blue. I’m guessing they have 3 Yes votes. 

It's hard to believe that one District can move the Regional Tournament to their desired location.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Weeks of disagreement and everyone has joined together as friends over hot mets. God bless America…

If it was the Fieldhouse only, yes. Totally for that. But the argument that some have made is that the 37th should not be allowed to host the district and every other district should. I can’t get behi

As an individual and certainly not speaking for Brossart High School, I am dead against hosting the 10th Region Tournament at Holmes High School.  There is nothing about Holmes High School, the longti

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

It's hard to believe that one District can move the Regional Tournament to their desired location.

They’re the ones that have to operate it and pay for everything. I’m guessing Holmes isn’t giving their facility up for free/providing security for free/providing game workers (ticket takers, bookkeeper/PA, etc.) for free. 
Yes, all of that comes from ticket sales, but their profit is going to be minimal in my opinion if it’s held at Holmes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the 37th teams don't like the drive to the best regional tournament in the state, maybe they should call Julian Tackett and request to go back to the Ninth.  I think the Fieldhouse has been pretty good to Campbell County.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jahearme said:

They’re the ones that have to operate it and pay for everything. I’m guessing Holmes isn’t giving their facility up for free/providing security for free/providing game workers (ticket takers, bookkeeper/PA, etc.) for free. 
Yes, all of that comes from ticket sales, but their profit is going to be minimal in my opinion if it’s held at Holmes. 

Does Mason Co. supply it to them for free or do they charge rental like Holmes does? If they break even regardless they might as well save themselves the trip.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Does Mason Co. supply it to them for free or do they charge rental like Holmes does? If they break even regardless they might as well save themselves the trip.

I’m sure Mason County takes a cut from the ticket sales. @sumoroyalmight be able to help with the costs of game personnel. 
However, when you have more people walking through the door that cut becomes pocket change. 
The crowds are not going to be as big at Holmes as they are at Mason Co/Montgomery Co/GRC. That’s the concern I have for the schools in the Region. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jahearme said:

I’m sure Mason County takes a cut from the ticket sales. @sumoroyalmight be able to help with the costs of game personnel. 
However, when you have more people walking through the door that cut becomes pocket change. 
The crowds are not going to be as big at Holmes as they are at Mason Co/Montgomery Co/GRC. That’s the concern I have for the schools in the Region. 

I agree, you would have to be a diehard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jahearme said:

I’m sure Mason County takes a cut from the ticket sales. @sumoroyalmight be able to help with the costs of game personnel. 
However, when you have more people walking through the door that cut becomes pocket change. 
The crowds are not going to be as big at Holmes as they are at Mason Co/Montgomery Co/GRC. That’s the concern I have for the schools in the Region. 

The host school gets a maximum of 15% of ticket sales.  However a majority of all 10th Region schools have to agree on this and usually pick a set amount (I think).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sumoroyal said:

If the 37th teams don't like the drive to the best regional tournament in the state, maybe they should call Julian Tackett and request to go back to the Ninth.  I think the Fieldhouse has been pretty good to Campbell County.

Yeah lets bring everyone back to the 9th so it can have 26 teams..... 2 7 team districts and 2 6 team districts. It’s not hard enough to get out of already come on...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sumoroyal said:

If the 37th teams don't like the drive to the best regional tournament in the state, maybe they should call Julian Tackett and request to go back to the Ninth.  I think the Fieldhouse has been pretty good to Campbell County.

Why is ok for the 37th district teams to drive 2 hours but not ok for the 40th district? Maybe the 40th district can call Julian Tackett and request to go to the Eleventh or Sixteenth? The issue isn’t the Fieldhouse or even the 39th district and Mason Co I’d assume.

A lot of traditionalists in the 10th need to accept the 37th is a part of the region. I know a lot hate it but it’s been almost 25 years now. My word. If it’s their year to choose where to host the region, let them do it.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

How many years have I been a member of this site?

Whatever that number is, that’s the number of threads arguing about the location of the 10th Region tournament during that time span. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MorganRaider said:

Why is ok for the 37th district teams to drive 2 hours but not ok for the 40th district? Maybe the 40th district can call Julian Tackett and request to go to the Eleventh or Sixteenth? The issue isn’t the Fieldhouse or even the 39th district and Mason Co I’d assume.

A lot of traditionalists in the 10th need to accept the 37th is a part of the region. I know a lot hate it but it’s been almost 25 years now. My word. If it’s their year to choose where to host the region, let them do it.

No argument from me whatsoever. Just host it in a gym that can accommodate it. 

And I’ll go out on a limb and guess that a lot of folks wouldn’t mind seeing Clark go to the 11th. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MorganRaider said:A lot of traditionalists in the 10th need to accept the 37th is a part of the region. I know a lot hate it but it’s been almost 25 years now. My word. If it’s their year to choose where to host the region, let them do it.

I accept Calvary, Scott, Brossart, and Campbell as part of the 10th Region. Just now Holmes lol

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

It's hard to believe that one District can move the Regional Tournament to their desired location.

That’s the way it has worked in the 10th for decades.  Each of the four districts gets to decide on a regional tournament site every four years. 

Now, if a district would decide to hold the regional at, as a far fetched example, St. Patrick, perhaps further discussion would be in order.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mcpapa said:

That’s the way it has worked in the 10th for decades.  Each of the four districts gets to decide on a regional tournament site every four years. 

Now, if a district would decide to hold the regional at, as a far fetched example, St. Patrick, perhaps further discussion would be in order.  

Wouldn’t happen. The KHSAA (I believe?) stipulates that it has to be at a gym that can host the previous year attendance or something like that. 
 

I have no idea what the average attendance is, but St. Pat’s isn’t big enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve awoken today with a new attitude on this. 
If the 37th district AD’s want to have the regional tournament at Holmes in March, I say do it. I would never wish ill will on anyone when it comes to high school athletics, but I’m afraid many of us will be able to say, “told you so” in late March. 
My concern will then turn to the small schools in the region that will struggle to fund their non-revenue teams during the 2022-23 school year. 
Good luck to those involved. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.