10th Region Tournament at Holmes?

I think the view of the 37th District teams promoting having the 10th Region Tournament at Holmes is convenience to the 37th District teams, who are always going to travel to Maysville, Mount Sterling or Winchester, where once every four years it would be a local event for the 37th, even if it has to be conducted at an "off-site" facility.

Previous to GRC and MoCo building their basketball palaces, the 10th Region Tournament was always hosted at the Mason County Fieldhouse, who incidentally, did a fine job with it, and no one had a problem with it.  It was our annual rite of spring at the Fieldhouse.

If and when one of the 37th District teams build a facility comparable to MoCo or GRC, then we have a legitimate claim to host the tournament every four years.  Until then, or when BB&K (NKU) can host us, it needs to stay in Maysville.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mustang said:

I think the view of the 37th District teams promoting having the 10th Region Tournament at Holmes is convenience to the 37th District teams, who are always going to travel to Maysville, Mount Sterling or Winchester, where once every four years it would be a local event for the 37th, even if it has to be conducted at an "off-site" facility.

Previous to GRC and MoCo building their basketball palaces, the 10th Region Tournament was always hosted at the Mason County Fieldhouse, who incidentally, did a fine job with it, and no one had a problem with it.  It was our annual rite of spring at the Fieldhouse.

If and when one of the 37th District teams build a facility comparable to MoCo or GRC, then we have a legitimate claim to host the tournament every four years.  Until then, or when BB&K (NKU) can host us, it needs to stay in Maysville.

The idea that the 37th district forfeits their chance to host region due to gym size is absurd. 

And is your argument distance or the spirit of it being at an outside the region school? Because Holmes is less than a 7 minute drive from Scott and they have been using out of district gyms for district tournaments in Lexington for decades.

Either make an agreement to rotate the boys and girls tournaments between Mason and either Clark or Montgomery (but not both) or keep it the way it is and let the host decide.

But to be so blatantly unfair and discriminatory to the northern most district bothers me a lot.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

What out of district gyms have been used for Lexington schools in post season play?  To my knowledge, each district rotates play at a host school within their district.  Region play, the winners of the district host the losers in 1st round action.  After the first round, the 11th region is played at EKU.

For the 10th Region, since this is what the thread is about, it is a challenge to please everyone due to the distance between the schools.  I have no issue how the 11th region does tournament play, homecourt the first round is a privilege for winning your district.  The 10th region wouldn't go for that because that's not how we have ever done it so it must be wrong.  Until the Northern KY district plans out the 10th region rotation and reserves NKU (or builds a venue), they won't be able to host.  Mason, Montgomery and GRC is the rotation.  

What really baffles me.....how is the regional site not already reserved and it's January 7th?  That seems like a lack of leadership and planning on the decision makers.  Which leads to the next question of why are they in a leadership/decision making position?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mo Bourbon said:

I always thought the arena at the Kentucky Horse Park would be a good neutral site for the 10th or 11th region tournaments.

Seems like a good idea until you look at the cost of renting that facility. There’s a reason the KHSAA doesn’t hold the state wrestling tournament there any longer. 

My two cents:

I’ve been in favor of doing the following rotation ever since GRC built their new facility: Mason Co, GRC, Mason Co, Montgomery Co. 

On the financial end of things, it makes no sense to host the 10th Region Tournament at Holmes. The only people that care about 10th Region sports in northern KY are the people from the 4 schools in that area. That’s not the case with the 3 schools in my rotation. 
Remember, schools count on their basketball regional tournament cuts to operate their non-revenue sports. I don’t see their cuts being quite the same if the tournament is held at Holmes. 

I’ve always wondered why Campbell County didn’t build a larger gym when they built their high school….

• Like 2

When is the last time a paid attendance at the 10th Region Tournament was over 3,000 people in a single session? It's a lot longer and less consistent than many may think.

The region atmosphere at Mason is great. It was great at GRC in 2020. The 10th atmosphere will be great wherever it is. I understand the nostalgia and tradition but there is nothing wrong with trying something new and evolving. Let's see how it all plays out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, I gotta go to work said:

When is the last time a paid attendance at the 10th Region Tournament was over 3,000 people in a single session? It's a lot longer and less consistent than many may think.

Easy answer.  Spring of 2020 was the last time over 3.000 attended both the semis and the finals at GRC.  The finals were pretty much Standing Room Only in the 4,500 seat arena. 

I also suspect that the attendance of 3,000 was exceeded last spring for the finals of the regional tournament between GRC and Campbell County at the Fieldhouse, which seats 5,400.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, I gotta go to work said:

The KHSAA doesn’t have the financial reports posted for many years so you really don’t know the answer to that.  The last 10th Region boys financial report posted is from 2014, with a high ticket sales of 2,807.  Keep in mind region was at the Fieldhouse WITHOUT Mason County playing. 
https://khsaa.org/basketball-districtregion-financial-reports-2006-to-present/

You’re forgetting the capacity for bands, cheer, teams, and usual pass list and free people. 

F4619194-245A-4DB5-8A3E-340D6AA25DDC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

What District will vote for this other than the 37th?  To me this does not look like a valid debate.

The only people that “vote” are the 4 Athletic Directors of the 37th district. There have been lots of behind the scene discussions prior to this past Wednesday’s meeting. This didn’t just come out of the blue. I’m guessing they have 3 Yes votes.