10th Region Tournament at Holmes?

33 minutes ago, jahearme said:

I’ve awoken today with a new attitude on this. 
If the 37th district AD’s want to have the regional tournament at Holmes in March, I say do it. I would never wish ill will on anyone when it comes to high school athletics, but I’m afraid many of us will be able to say, “told you so” in late March. 
My concern will then turn to the small schools in the region that will struggle to fund their non-revenue teams during the 2022-23 school year. 
Good luck to those involved. 

After speaking to some people in the know, looks like it will happen.  Will be made official in about a week.

This reminds me Beechwood hosting the 35th District a couple of years ago in a 750 seat gym.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Weeks of disagreement and everyone has joined together as friends over hot mets. God bless America…

If it was the Fieldhouse only, yes. Totally for that. But the argument that some have made is that the 37th should not be allowed to host the district and every other district should. I can’t get behi

As an individual and certainly not speaking for Brossart High School, I am dead against hosting the 10th Region Tournament at Holmes High School.  There is nothing about Holmes High School, the longti

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

After speaking to some people in the know, looks like it will happen.  Will be made official in about a week.

This reminds me Beechwood hosting the 35th District a couple of years ago in a 750 seat gym.

Not sure I understand the comparison, With Beechwood and Holmes, I think Holy Cross will host districts this year.  Holmes was approached a few weeks ago about hosting the 10 th, I hope it works out for everyone, most of the Holmes staff that works the games will be at Bank of Ky, since it has been there, Holmes staff have pretty much been doing a lot of the behind the seens  work. 

5 minutes ago, allsport71 said:

Not sure I understand the comparison, With Beechwood and Holmes, I think Holy Cross will host districts this year.  Holmes was approached a few weeks ago about hosting the 10 th, I hope it works out for everyone, most of the Holmes staff that works the games will be at Bank of Ky, since it has been there, Holmes staff have pretty much been doing a lot of the behind the seens  work. 

I'll try clarify.  The District/Regionals are these schools cash cow, play them at a venue with the most seating.

The 10th region has three venues larger than Holmes.

In the 35th district again HC only holds 750 people with no parking, CCH will be filled the band and student sections.  Play it at Holmes.

43 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

I'll try clarify.  The District/Regionals are these schools cash cow, play them at a venue with the most seating.

In the 35th district again HC only holds 750 people with no parking, CCH will be filled the band and student sections.  Play it at Holmes.

And I agree, 35 th should be played at Holmes ever year, and Covington Catholic likes it at Holmes as well, when it’s their time to host, they usually move it to Holmes.

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

Not to sidetrack the thread but here are gym capacity's of 9th region 35th district:

Beechwood ..... 900

Holy Cross ...... 900

Cov Cath ......... 1,250

Holmes ............ 3,000

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Not to sidetrack the thread but here are gym capacity's of 9th region 35th district:

Beechwood ..... 900

Holy Cross ...... 900

Cov Cath ......... 1,250

Holmes ............ 3,000

I have been in both Beechwood and HC this season, there are fire dept. placards at both locations reading of 750 people.

20 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

I have been in both Beechwood and HC this season, there are fire dept. placards at both locations reading of 750 people.

Thanks for the info. I pulled my numbers from the KHSAA. The 900 capacity is what both schools have posted in their school directory info on KHSAA.

3 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

But if you look at the records (which are public if you dig hard enough) they aren’t selling out even at the bigger places, so if Holmes can seat more than the highest nights attendance from the last few years, why can’t the 37th save themselves a trip?

Why would the 37th choose to hold the regional at Holmes? I believe financially the entire region loses revenue with the tournament at Holmes. Lower attendance equals lower revenue. Longer travel should equal higher expenses. Does the 37th district think they gain a significant home court advantage at Holmes? Honestly, from what I have heard and read from players and coaches over years, they don't like the court, rims nor the depth perception playing at Holmes. Teams have trouble shooting in that gym.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Why would the 37th choose to hold the regional at Holmes? I believe financially the entire region loses revenue with the tournament at Holmes. Lower attendance equals lower revenue. Longer travel should equal higher expenses. Does the 37th district think they gain a significant home court advantage at Holmes? Honestly, from what I have heard and read from players and coaches over years, they don't like the court, rims nor the depth perception playing at Holmes. Teams have trouble shooting in that gym.

The only logical reason would be the drive.  But then again, Scott/Campbell/Brossart only have to drive to GRC/MoCo a maximum of 3 times every 4 years.  I feel it’s more of the 37th just wanting to stick it to the 40th District, regardless of how much money they and the entire region loses out on because of it. 
You mentioned teams not liking playing at Holmes because of the depth perception shooting, I think that is still the case when region is at Mason County.

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

But if you look at the records (which are public if you dig hard enough) they aren’t selling out even at the bigger places, so if Holmes can seat more than the highest nights attendance from the last few years, why can’t the 37th save themselves a trip?

Looks like VOR answered your question.

I'm not saying that I agree with everything that's going on at GRC, but has everyone debating this issue been inside the new gym at GRC.  Seems to me it would pretty special to have the Regional there.

4 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

I don't understand why the 37th or any other District would complain about the travel when most of these teams travel all over the state to play.

And teams get a travel stipend during the regional tournament for 1 bus.