10th Region Tournament at Holmes?

21 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Scott’s Gym is fine and in line with what you see in most high school settings. It could certainly stand to be bigger, and the floor (I think) is scheduled to be replaced, but saying it needs “major TLC” makes it sound like a dump, which it isn’t.

They still use the original scoreboards. They can’t do anything else with the floor since it has been sanded down so many times. They once had to wheel in speakers from the band to announce the game and they once had to cancel a game cause the main goal wouldn’t come down…and most recently one of the side goals wouldn’t go up so it hindered people’s views.

visiting team locker room is way too small 

Scott gym needs major TLC 

• Like 1

Gym capacities from KHSAA school directory:

Campbell County 1,500

Dixie Heights 1,400

Scott 1,000

Simon Kenton 1,200

Bracken County 2,000

Robertson County - no information listed

Mason County 5,400

Nicholas County 2,500

GRC 4,500

Montgomery County 4,200

Holmes 3,000

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

Dixie’s gym is the biggest in Kenton County, and seats roughly 1500, followed by Sk at about 1200 and Scott around 1000. They all “feel” about the same size when you are inside. CC holds about 1500 and “feels” bigger. 

I’ve been in Bracken, and it holds about 2000, and is certainly bigger than the 3 Kenton County Schools and CC. Nicholas is certainly biggest of them all and seats around 2500. Never been to Robertson, but from pics I’ve seen looks to be around the same size as the Kenton County schools.

Scott's is 1305.

1 hour ago, Royals and Saints Fan said:

The real problem is that the KHSAA has done a disservice to the 10th region, with all its strong history, by stringing it from Mt Sterling to Covington.  I would doubt there are few if any regions with so much mileage and varied areas.

4th Region is pretty far flung. Something like 2.5 hours separating end to end. It just happens - it’s a wide state. There’s going to be misshapen regions. 

• Like 3

I’m all for tradition but I think too much is being made of this.  IF Scott had a larger gym would travel distance even be considered?  It’s not when the travel is southbound.  The 9th region plays their tournament on a larger, college court.  That’s a bigger issue In my opinion.  

6 minutes ago, brooksville said:

Maps says 25 min drive from Campbell to Holmes.  Could be halfway to the Fieldhouse by then lol

5CE91151-5F23-42F0-821C-4076682A47D4.jpeg

True but Holmes is 5 miles away from Scott.  Ryle is farther away from the BB&T.  My point is that if distance isn’t an issue when the 37th travels to GRC why is it an issue now?  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

The fact that a middle school gym is even mentioned in the 10th Region discussion tells me all I need to know about attendance expectations in NKY. 

The middle school gym has a larger capacity at Campbell Co. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I know. I’ve been there for 10th Region Girls games.  Nice little gym   Probably on par with Bracken County.   Been to Scott and Campbell HS gyms.  Bandboxes  

Again - if a middle school gym with a capacity of around 2,000 is in the discussion to host the 10th Region boys tournament, I can only assume that attendance expectations are dismal. 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 10:47 AM, 4 Quarters said:

I didn't realize the 10th was planning on playing at BB&T.  Why would want to play there with all the large gyms in the 10th?

They did play at NKU once before, back in the early to mid 2000s, I believe.  Not sure it went over big for the 10th then, not sure why they'd consider it again.

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Was High school #3 out of 4 for Campbell Co. before new HS was built in mid 90's. Remodeled and now the Middle School. There has been a total of 4 HS in history used. I assume the reason for the big Middle school Gym.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chip said:

They still use the original scoreboards. They can’t do anything else with the floor since it has been sanded down so many times. They once had to wheel in speakers from the band to announce the game and they once had to cancel a game cause the main goal wouldn’t come down…and most recently one of the side goals wouldn’t go up so it hindered people’s views.

visiting team locker room is way too small 

Scott gym needs major TLC 

Agree. They have let that gym fall apart. There has been no improvements this century. 

This whole thread while reading it, all I could think was some old man yelling “Get off my grass!” Lol. At least the 10th has options. In the 8th it’s always at Henry County. No easy way to get there and when they make it to region, they get that extra money too. As for the distance, the 8th goes from Simon Kenton to Spencer County. Long enough drive that games are scheduled on weekends. True fans will travel to watch, even in NKY. 

• Like 3

Seems that a lot of folks from the 37th feel that the rest of the 10th treats them like the proverbial redheaded stepchild.  Like they’re on the outside looking in. 

Imagine that. 

• Like 2