10th Region Tournament at Holmes?

4 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Nothing would make me happier than to see Campbell or Scott build a 4,000 seat gym (not realistic for Brossart or Calvary).   Should that ever happen, this discussion is closed.   37th hosts there, 38th at Mason or Harrison (although 3,500 capacity at Harrison might not work), 39th at Mason, and 40th rotates between Clark and MoCo. 

But we ain’t there yet in the 37th

2 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Regarding the 37th's prerogative to host every four years, I believe I've made my position known.  I just wish the schools in that district had a facility worthy of hosting.

Everything quoted is why I think this decision is selfish on the part of the 37th.  It has nothing to do with the 37th not getting their turn, or tradition, or whatever.  It's about: 1) Aside from NKU, the district doesn't have a facility large enough to host.  2)  The venue chosen isn't large enough to accommodate the Regional Tournament & isn't even a 10th Region school.

This would be more palatable if Holmes was in the 37th.

I have been a fan of the 37th District because they have elevated the 10th Region the last couple of decades.  In the past when I have covered the Region for BGP, I have written extensively about the 37th's dominant runs.  If regions are ever realigned, my hope is to see the 10th move further north.  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching 37th teams over the last few years.  And lastly, the commute to Holmes is shorter for me than the one to The Fieldhouse. 

But this is a selfish decision, in my opinion.  A small facility that isn't a Region school is hosting the tournament.  Silliness.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

Believe it not, it's this way in a lot of regions.

But I would say the majority of regions have either a static site or a two gym rotation, right?

19 minutes ago, se7ens said:

But I would say the majority of regions have either a static site or a two gym rotation, right?

The 8th has been at Henry County since 1961.  The 6th and 7th has been at Louisville Valley for the past 5 or 6 years, Valley is in the 6th.  Might be more, but I don't know.

47 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

Everything quoted is why I think this decision is selfish on the part of the 37th.  It has nothing to do with the 37th not getting their turn, or tradition, or whatever.  It's about: 1) Aside from NKU, the district doesn't have a facility large enough to host.  2)  The venue chosen isn't large enough to accommodate the Regional Tournament & isn't even a 10th Region school.

I have been a fan of the 37th District because they have elevated the 10th Region the last couple of decades.  In the past when I have covered the Region for BGP, I have written extensively about the 37th's dominant runs.  If regions are ever realigned, my hope is to see the 10th move further north.  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching 37th teams over the last few years.  And lastly, the commute to Holmes is shorter for me than the one to The Fieldhouse. 

But this is a selfish decision, in my opinion.  A small facility that isn't a Region school is hosting the tournament.  Silliness.

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with this brat.   Checking the Stygian temperature as we speak. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Randy Parker said:

On the podcast mentioned earlier in the thread, The ADs looked at the attendance from the last 5 years of the 10th region tournament and not a single session was larger than 2,500. The 5,600 that was in 2009 mentioned earlier was the night of the 9th/10th doubleheader championship. Before that it was in 2007 when the attendance was above that 3,000 number. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

On the podcast mentioned earlier in the thread, The ADs looked at the attendance from the last 5 years of the 10th region tournament and not a single session was larger than 2,500. The 5,600 that was in 2009 mentioned earlier was the night of the 9th/10th doubleheader championship. Before that it was in 2007 when the attendance was above that 3,000 number. 

Those numbers are paid attendees. It doesn’t take into consideration the pass list, bands, cheerleaders, support staff, concession workers, etc. I can promise you there were more than 2,500 people in the gym for the Finals at GRC in 2020. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jahearme said:

Those numbers are paid attendees. It doesn’t take into consideration the pass list, bands, cheerleaders, support staff, concession workers, etc. I can promise you there were more than 2,500 people in the gym for the Finals at GRC in 2020. 

But more than 500 of those?

• Like 1

38th, 39th, and 40th districts usually have to drive almost 30 minutes to their nearest opponent, so I don't think the drive is a big factor for them.  It is just part of living in a mostly rural area where there is one (maybe two) schools in the county.  The 10th Region is just spaced out and there is no host site where a team won't have to drive at least an hour. 

The drive from Scott to GRC is an 1 hour and 20 minutes. The drive from Bracken to GRC is also 1 hour and 20 minutes, even though Bracken County is 20 miles closer.  Whenever the 10th Region is at GRC/MoCo, it's a drive for the entire region, not just the 37th District schools.  I think Harrison County would be the shortest drive for all schools so I really hope they get their chance to host next year. 

There's about 40% more high school students in 9th Region schools than 10th Region schools, so surely the 9th Region would be an "area so saturated with talent" as Chip stated.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.48.54 PM.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jahearme said:

Yes, I was there also, I'm guessing at least 3,500 people in the stands and maybe more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I gotta go to work said:

Thanks for providing the information. 

Still, it doesn't change my opinion.  You're talking 83% capacity not counting unpaid attendance.  All this to have the tournament at a non-10th Region school.  I just don't see it as a good situation for the Tournament. 

I am not in favor of Harrison County hosting next year due to its size as well.  But at least it is a 10th Region school.

Though I don't like the arrangements this year, I do hope there is a quality & successful Tournament.  

• Like 2

I'm sure that the Mason County Fieldhouse was built with the specific goal of hosting the 10th Region Tournament on an annual basis at a central location.  For years and years it fulfilled that mission, and the 10th Region was proud of it, and the member schools were happy to have such a wonderful venue to hold it's annual rite of spring.  

In the present day where the 40th spent millions on two Region-worthy facilities the Fieldhouse lost a 25% slice of the pie.  Now with the 37th exercising their option to host it in Northern Kentucky, and the 38th now also perhaps considering that option, Mason County might as well burn down the Fieldhouse, collect the insurance money, build a smaller facility with less maintenance and overhead, and when it's the 40ths turn to host it, have it at Lewis County (Junior) High School a few miles farther down the AA.    

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

I am not in favor of Harrison County hosting next year due to its size as well.  But at least it is a 10th Region school.

What if they did split sessions and charged $5 a session? 

1 minute ago, brooksville said:

What if they did split sessions and charged $5 a session? 

Not a fan of split sessions, but that's just a personal opinion and probably doesn't have much bearing on the Tournament as a whole.

The positive of Harrison is that it's probably the ideal location in terms of proximity to the other schools. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 10:57 PM, brooksville said:

Maybe the 8th Region Tournament will be held at Conner or Holmes next year too to save Walton Verona and Simon Kenton the drive.  

Maybe GRC or Montgomery County can host it,

For what it’s worth Scott and Holmes travel to Boyd County for football, for a district game plus usually a playoff game. 2 1/2 hrs 135 miles one way.   Teams leave at 330pm after school and don’t get home till 130-2am.   That’s crazy!!!

• Like 2