10th Region Tournament at Holmes?

On 1/10/2022 at 12:29 PM, ChickenWyngz said:

The KHSAA list past regional attendance records on their sites. Some years, the 10th region boys has no entry and the KHSAA has not updated that list since 2018, but here are some numbers for you all to crunch. Below is the year, where the event was located and highest nights attendnance. 

2006- Mason Co. 3,148

2007- Mason Co. 3,285

2008- Montgomery Co. 2,365

2009- NKU- 5,698

2010- Mason Co. 3,147

2011- Mason Co. 2,739

2012- Montgomery Co. 1,362

2013- Mason Co. 1,765

2014- Mason Co. 2,807

The 10th region has no entry for boys basketball after 2014. Let's break it down. 

1. The lowest attended night in any of the regional tournaments was in Montgomery Co. The highest, by far, was held in NKY. 

2. The average highest night attendance in these years in 2924, Holmes holds 3,000. Also, depending on COVID numbers they may not even approach this number. 

3. Average highest night at Montgomery- 1863, highest at Mason Co. 2815.

Can we put the argument that attendance will be down solely due to location? Can we stop worrying that Holmes won't hold the crowd? 

On 1/15/2022 at 5:16 PM, The Raven said:

They did play at NKU once before, back in the early to mid 2000s, I believe.  Not sure it went over big for the 10th then, not sure why they'd consider it again.

NKU 2009 - 5,698 highest night attendance per post copied above.

3 hours ago, se7ens said:

@mcpapa, would it change things for you if it was NKU and not Holmes? 

Also, I take a little umbrage to your middle school comment. Campbell Middle's gym is a former high school gym. The girls regional has been hosted there before as well as the All A Regional and the 37th district tournament for both boys and girls. 

I attended some of the sessions at NKU in 2009. Obviously a nice venue, but the half empty gym didn’t really have a regional tournament feel to it.  Three dollar waters and eight dollar hamburgers didn’t enhance the experience  

The opposite is true with the middle school  gym in question. Just because it’s the largest gym affiliated with any of the four schools in the 37th, or just because it was a high school gym once upon a time, doesn’t make it anything close to an adequate boys regional tournament venue in a typical year. 

But as my friend Royals and Saints fan has pointed out, this isn’t a typical year.  I stand by my observation that the fact that the CCMS gym is even in the discussion speaks volumes as to attendance expectations. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brooksville said:

The venue that hosts the 10th Region Tournament receives $4,500.  

The venue also buys, sells, provides workers, and keeps all profits from concessions.  

OK, I guess they changed it to assure that they would receive close to a comparable "double-share."

There was a time when the host school did receive a double-share.i

18 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

I attended some of the sessions at NKU in 2009. Obviously a nice venue, but the half empty gym didn’t really have a regional tournament feel to it.  Three dollar waters and eight dollar hamburgers didn’t enhance the experience  

The opposite is true with the middle school  gym in question. Just because it’s the largest gym affiliated with any of the four schools in the 37th, or just because it was a high school gym once upon a time, doesn’t make it anything close to an adequate boys regional tournament venue in a typical year. 

But as my friend Royals and Saints fan has pointed out, this isn’t a typical year.  I stand by my observation that the fact that the CCMS gym is even in the discussion speaks volumes as to attendance expectations. 

And add the parking fee at NKU!

• Like 1

Okay, @mcpapa, what is your solution?

Like I have already said, I think you make it a static site at Mason County or you rotate every year between Mason County and Clark. 

But I do not think it is a fair solution to say it can be any given year at Mason, Clark, or Montgomery, but you are not allowed to have it in Kenton or Campbell counties. 

13 minutes ago, se7ens said:

Like I have already said, I think you make it a static site at Mason County or you rotate every year between Mason County and Clark. 

But I do not think it is a fair solution to say it can be any given year at Mason, Clark, or Montgomery, but you are not allowed to have it in Kenton or Campbell counties. 

Nothing would make me happier than to see Campbell or Scott build a 4,000 seat gym (not realistic for Brossart or Calvary).   Should that ever happen, this discussion is closed.   37th hosts there, 38th at Mason or Harrison (although 3,500 capacity at Harrison might not work), 39th at Mason, and 40th rotates between Clark and MoCo. 

But we ain’t there yet in the 37th, and may never be.  It’s a sticky wicket.

I’m sure that the powers-that-be in the 37th would like to stay as close to home as possible like they seem to do during the regular season.   Out here in the hinterlands, we’re accustomed to traveling all over the place during the regular season, and the opportunity to host a regional tournament close to home is always welcome.  

But the powers-that-be don’t ask me. Heck, you may be the first that ever has.  My solution is simple.  Let the 37th make their bed every four years and lie in it.  And look forward to a spirited discussion here on BGP.  Old fogies and rural traditionalists on one side, big city folk on the other.  It’s fun. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

Nothing would make me happier than to see Campbell or Scott build a 4,000 seat gym (not realistic for Brossart or Calvary).   Should that ever happen, this discussion is closed.   37th hosts there, 38th at Mason or Harrison (although 3,500 capacity at Harrison might not work), 39th at Mason, and 40th rotates between Clark and MoCo. 

But we ain’t there yet in the 37th, and may never be.  It’s a sticky wicket.

I’m sure that the powers-that-be in the 37th would like to stay as close to home as possible like they seem to do during the regular season.   Out here in the hinterlands, we’re accustomed to traveling all over the place during the regular season, and the opportunity to host a regional tournament close to home is always welcome.  

But the powers-that-be don’t ask me. Heck, you may be the first that ever has.  My solution is simple.  Let the 37th make their bed every four years and lie in it.  And look forward to a spirited discussion here on BGP.  Old fogies and rural traditionalists on one side, big city folk on the other.  It’s fun. 

Since when did Alexandria and Taylor Mill become the “big city”? Nobody in those towns consider themselves “city folk”.  

Our teams also travel during the regular season, and we’ll gladly travel to wherever you guys choose to play region when it’s your turn to pick and in fact HAVE always done it since joining the region. Scott’s AD summed up the thought process pretty nicely. It shouldn’t be that big of a deal for NKY to host this event once every 4 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

Since when did Alexandria and Taylor Mill become the “big city”? Nobody in those towns consider themselves “city folk”.  

Our teams also travel during the regular season, and we’ll gladly travel to wherever you guys choose to play region when it’s your turn to pick and in fact HAVE always done it since joining the region. Scott’s AD summed up the thought process pretty nicely. It shouldn’t be that big of a deal for NKY to host this event once every 4 years. 

Regarding the 37th's prerogative to host every four years, I believe I've made my position known.  I just wish the schools in that district had a facility worthy of hosting.  It's a sad situation.

It's not so much that Taylor Mill and Alexandria are the big city.  But a lot of folks there seem to think that being close to Cincinnati makes it so; and they're definitely more urban than schools in the other three districts of the 10th.  This becomes particularly evident when looking at scheduling.  As a teachable moment. let's compare Scott and Mason County's away out-of-region schedules.

Scott - Conner, Highlands, Mason County (tournament, not a regional game),  Dixie, Holmes, Lloyd, Rowan County (at Fleming County), Boone County, Ryle and Cooper.

Mason County - Rowan County, Fleming County, Pikeville (tournament), Ryle, Owensboro (tournament), Dixie, Rockcastle County, Boyle County and Scott County).  Every trip save Rowan (40 miles) and Fleming (20 miles) are well over an hour away.

rjs, it's the nature of the beast.  Out in the hinterlands, folks have to travel to fill out a schedule.  In the Greater Cincinnati Metropolitan Area, it's optional.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

Regarding the 37th's prerogative to host every four years, I believe I've made my position known.  I just wish the schools in that district had a facility worthy of hosting.  It's a sad situation.

It's not so much that Taylor Mill and Alexandria are the big city.  But a lot of folks there seem to think that being close to Cincinnati makes it so; and they're definitely more urban than schools in the other three districts of the 10th.  This becomes particularly evident when looking at scheduling.  As a teachable moment. let's compare Scott and Mason County's away out-of-region schedules.

Scott - Conner, Highlands, Mason County (tournament, not a regional game),  Dixie, Holmes, Lloyd, Rowan County (at Fleming County), Boone County, Ryle and Cooper.

Mason County - Rowan County, Fleming County, Pikeville (tournament), Ryle, Owensboro (tournament), Dixie, Rockcastle County, Boyle County and Scott County).  Every trip save Rowan (40 miles) and Fleming (20 miles) are well over an hour away.

rjs, it's the nature of the beast.  Out in the hinterlands, folks have to travel to fill out a schedule.  In the Greater Cincinnati Metropolitan Area, it's optional.

Agree with the bold statement 1000%. It’s always been that way. Seems as if folks in that area are embarrassed to be from Kentucky. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

This is the worst take I have seen in this whole thread. 

Sorry for being located near a big city and can reap the benefits of that.

Sorry for being in an area so saturated with talent that all you have to do is drive 20-30 to play top talent in OH, KY, IN/play games that will prepare you for the postseason (seems like it has paid off for the past decade)

You want to pinpoint one season lol go back and look at their schedule for multiple years and tell me that teams from the 37th don’t “travel”

You give us these compliments on how we have had great players and teams that have helped the 10th region only to be quickly followed up with a backhanded comment about said district.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, se7ens said:

Believe it not, it's this way in a lot of regions.