No dunking while the refs are on the court.

58 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

Nope.  But I did play some of my best ball during warmups. 

Reminds of my jr high coaching days when the kids would come running up to let you know that so n so needs to start because they are hitting EVERYTHING in warmups. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, ATLCat said:

In other words... it's not a rule meant to punish those who can dunk.. it is a rule meant to deter those who think they can dunk. HAHA.

Unfortunately, I believe there is a bit of truth in that statement.  Probably 3/4 of the kids I've seen "dunk" (before the refs come out) can barely get the ball over the rim and end up just trying to pull the rim down for effect.  We've all heard it, where the rim snaps back and sends the vibrations throughout the gym. 

And if a rim or backboard is damaged in warm-ups prior to a high school game, there's probably very few schools that are going to be able to replace it in a timely manner.  Plus, you add in the cost of a potentially new backboard...and I can see where there might be a push to reduce this possibility.  You can't eliminate it completely, but you can try to reduce the chances of it happening at the worst possible time...all because some 5'-11" kid wanted to try and impress.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:34 PM, mcpapa said:

This may come as a shocker to some.  Neither Randy Parker nor I were ever teed up for dunking during pregame. 

Point of clarification.  Parker was once teed up for laying there like a slug.  It was his only defense.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2021 at 8:14 AM, CincySportsFan said:

And if a rim or backboard is damaged in warm-ups prior to a high school game, there's probably very few schools that are going to be able to replace it in a timely manner.  Plus, you add in the cost of a potentially new backboard...and I can see where there might be a push to reduce this possibility. 

I think that happened in Williamstown last season. A Newport player broke the backboard during warmups.

I think the rule is archaic, honestly, BUT...the origins may have also had something to do with safety.   As ATL says....more about preventing those who THINK they can dunk...

A lot of schools dunk in warmups; an assistant coach is assigned to watch the officials' dressing room, and the dunking ends when the door opens.

Unfortunately, I have seen at least a few instances where a player got injured - and did not play in the game - after a pre-game dunking mishap.   

Of course, you can get hurt in a layup line (I've seen that happen once!).....

11 minutes ago, ColonelMike said:

I think the rule is archaic, honestly, BUT...the origins may have also had something to do with safety.   As ATL says....more about preventing those who THINK they can dunk...

A lot of schools dunk in warmups; an assistant coach is assigned to watch the officials' dressing room, and the dunking ends when the door opens.

Unfortunately, I have seen at least a few instances where a player got injured - and did not play in the game - after a pre-game dunking mishap.   

Of course, you can get hurt in a layup line (I've seen that happen once!).....

That was supposed to be privileged information.

If an official knowingly does not enforce this rule and a player, cheerleader, or anyone were to be injured in this pregame activity I would imagine they would be accountable in a court of law......along with every other party named in lawsuit.

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

If an official knowingly does not enforce this rule and a player, cheerleader, or anyone were to be injured in this pregame activity I would imagine they would be accountable in a court of law......along with every other party named in lawsuit.

Absolutely: that’s what all of the NFHS rules are about. Limiting risk. Typically during warm ups the environment is much less controlled. People are walking all over the place. Kids are trying skills they wouldn’t use in a game. Cheerleaders are warming up doing skills that are not allowed in live ball action. Coaches are conversation. Sometimes (and this one drives me up a wall) coaches and other people have their small children on the court itself. It’s a different safety environment from live ball action.