Open Job: Highlands

theguru

On 1/19/2021 at 12:20 PM, John Anthony said:

I will personally stock the pond next to the stadium, what is your fish of choice?

10 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

No word.  Inexperience is really showing its head here.  Maybe they hire Dale Mueller, Mark Goetz or Kevin Siple.

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

Not planning on playing any JV or Freshman games? Sure would be a bunch of folks standing around at times during practice since not everyone is doing the same thing during certain practice segments. Years and years ago small rural district's had extremely small staffs, but in today's football the opposite is true. I don't know if some of the comments from some of the continual posters(experts) are meant to be sarcastic or whatever but maybe, just maybe this whole fiasco has knocked a bit of the luster off of the helmet. The names someone mentioned (Goetz, Siple, Mueller) are good coaches and men....but that's short term thinking right? 

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

I would say very short term, yes. All of them are great guys and know the game; however, I don't know how realistic of options they really are. 

You are 100% correct regarding the number of coaches. If you truly want to build a program that has depth, is competitive at all levels (freshman - varsity), and develops players, then ideally you have to have at least 1 position coach for every position (Although, I think you could probably get away with combining "like positions" like OL/DL and RB/LB and DB/WR if absolutely necessary. However, it would be better to have 1 for each position). This way players are constantly developing skills for their positions during practice rather than standing around if you are not one of the top 11-15 players. The days of practice being a 3 hour "game" of 11v11 scrimmaging are over if you want to build success over the long term and develop players. Assuming the varsity and JV programs are practicing together like the majority of programs in NKY do then you do not need to add any other coaches for JV and varsity and a few of those varsity coaches coach the JV games. In terms of in NKY, the vast majority of freshman programs are separate and have a similar set up. 

I believe comments like @sweeperboy made regarding 3 coaches is, hopefully, sarcastic. Have you seen CCH's sideline? Beechwood's? Male? Douglas? They have more coaches than some schools have players... and it is like that for a reason. 

Coach Mueller would be a great choice but I agree it would only be a stop-gap.

• Like 1

A school like HHS should have a HC, Offensive Coordinator, QB coach, RB coach, WR coach, Defensive Coordinator, DL coach, DB coach and LB coach.  Some of the mentioned coaches will have JV responsibilities.  Coordinators usually coach a position.  Then they need a frosh staff.  On any Friday Night, you will see 10-20 staff and support members on any sideline.

If Coach Weinrich continues teaching at HHS, I hardly doubt there will be teaching vacancies.  It is a great school and I would guess that most teachers there will retire there. The new coach, more than likely, will have to rely on paraprofessionals.  Quality coaches are not just sitting around waiting for a phone call. Quality coaches are already coaching.  If a local coach is hired, he may have connections.  If it is an out of town hire, this will be a challenge for the new coach.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Male Dueller said:

Coach Mueller would be a great choice but I agree it would only be a stop-gap.

Just like Wolfe has done, I think Dale would show the administration the big finger.  A lot of bitterness I believe is there amongst a very good friend (Wolfe) and his right hand man (Dale) on how BW was treated.  Those bridges are burnt and will not be rebuilt.  We got to move on.....

24 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Just like Wolfe has done, I think Dale would show the administration the big finger.  A lot of bitterness I believe is there amongst a very good friend (Wolfe) and his right hand man (Dale) on how BW was treated.  Those bridges are burnt and will not be rebuilt.  We got to move on.....

I've heard very similar comments about how Wolfe and Mueller feel about the program now. It's disappointing, but like you said, move on.

29 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

That is an interesting thought process and one I don't think is too far fetched. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

Weinrich to Beechwood

Behymer to Newport

Umberg to Newport

Dill to ??????

Turner still at Highlands

Deaton still at Highlands

Leopold to ???????

Hall to retirement?

Turner would be a solid hire for any school.

Dill certainly has experience 

Hall retiring hurts as he is a very good coach with experience on  both sides of the ball. 

Downing does a nice job at the Frosh level. Maybe Deaton could be a good  Frosh HC if Downing doesn’t return.

I would certainly try and retain the first  3 for sure out of those remaining.

No guarantees, but I suspect if Dowling was a part of the committee he must be in good standing with the principal and AD. My guess he stays part of the football at some level be it varsity, JV or freshman.

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

42 minutes ago, Lions Paw said:

I've heard very similar comments about how Wolfe and Mueller feel about the program now. It's disappointing, but like you said, move on.

38 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

That is an interesting thought process and one I don't think is too far fetched. 

If true this is a very sad indictment of the Highlands' administration. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Footballfan5 said:

A school like HHS should have a HC, Offensive Coordinator, QB coach, RB coach, WR coach, Defensive Coordinator, DL coach, DB coach and LB coach.  Some of the mentioned coaches will have JV responsibilities.  Coordinators usually coach a position.  Then they need a frosh staff.  On any Friday Night, you will see 10-20 staff and support members on any sideline.

If Coach Weinrich continues teaching at HHS, I hardly doubt there will be teaching vacancies.  It is a great school and I would guess that most teachers there will retire there. The new coach, more than likely, will have to rely on paraprofessionals.  Quality coaches are not just sitting around waiting for a phone call. Quality coaches are already coaching.  If a local coach is hired, he may have connections.  If it is an out of town hire, this will be a challenge for the new coach.  

This raises some good points probably noted many pages back when Eddie James didn't take the job.  He may have wanted some of his staff to come with him and there was no place for them because jobs at schools like Highlands are tough to come by.

1 minute ago, DanvilleFan said:

This raises some good points probably noted many pages back when Eddie James didn't take the job.  He may have wanted some of his staff to come with him and there was no place for them because jobs at schools like Highlands are tough to come by.

Yep!  I think that was Theory #4 on why he backed out.

30 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

Very plausible. However, I would hope anyone taking a HC job would have done his homework and asked that question before accepting the job and doing a press conference. Whether or not you will be able to bring staff members in, hire your own staff, and what are the possibilities of openings in the district for my coaches are all very valid questions for a coach to ask BEFORE taking a job. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Very plausible. However, I would hope anyone taking a HC job would have done his homework and asked that question before accepting the job and doing a press conference. Whether or not you will be able to bring staff members in, hire your own staff, and what are the possibilities of openings in the district for my coaches are all very valid questions for a coach to ask BEFORE taking a job. 

Agreed, but I think we are witnessing thru this process that we are dealing with amateur's when it comes to making a big hiring decision.  This administration had the chance to land a quick replacement after the James debacle and they let him slip thru the cracks.

When the post mortem meeting happens when this is said and done it will be interesting to see if there is another position that will be needing to be refilled in the summer.