Ahmaud Arbery

I'm not defending these guys at all, they're guilty of murder imo. But my stepfather was a defense attorney prior to retiring from that and becoming a state prosecutor, so I've seen both sides of arguing cases in my lifetime, including him getting three not guilty verdicts in murder cases that the defendants told him they murdered their husband's. So I'll bite, I'd ask him what his defense would be but unfortunately he has dementia now.

But given what you mentioned prior about the citizens arrest law in Georgia, as well as it being a stand your ground state I'd run with that and hope for the best.

So, here it goes. The two defendants knew of recent burglaries in their neighborhood and witnessed AA walking into a home under construction, they notified the person that filmed the video and asked them to call the police while they were trying to locate the suspect after he left the construction site. Once located they attempted to ask AA questions while waiting on the police to arrive but he attempted to disarm the younger defendant which feared that his shotgun could be used against him if he was disarmed, so he fired at AA until he was no longer a threat.

I hate to even type that because I believe they're guilty of murder myself. But I feel like the defense strategy could be something similar to that.

As more facts come on board we have to take them into account. The video posted is not good for AA. They only showed 7 seconds of the clip. They most certainly have more info than we know about.

Will the now arrested suspects be able to prove they knew he was robbing the house is a huge question? This is what lead to their pursuit.

Murder 1 and 2 is looking less likely, manslaughter still very possible. I think this is why the DA wanted to do things his way and present what he had/has to a private grand jury.

As more facts come on board we have to take them into account. The video posted is not good for AA. They only showed 7 seconds of the clip. They most certainly have more info than we know about.

Will the now arrested suspects be able to prove they knew he was robbing the house is a huge question? This is what lead to their pursuit.

Murder 1 and 2 is looking less likely, manslaughter still very possible. I think this is why the DA wanted to do things his way and present what he had/has to a private grand jury.

Yep, always best to know all the facts before the finger pointing starts. The trial will bring out all the facts, hopefully.

I get what you're saying but you did say its an assumption. You don't run up on someone and start pointing guns at them over an assumption that they may or may not be casing a house. I don't believe that you would do that yourself for what its worth, most logical people wouldn't. The fact that these dudes did either tells me they're ignorant, or they had bad intentions to begin with.

I agree. Like I said earlier in the thread, I do NOT think these folks should have even so much as followed Arbery down the street after he left the construction site.

I don't see how they can prove that he was trying to rob the house, from any videos I've seen at least. The only thing going for them is that he tried to disarm the son which eventuality shot him. But I'm not sure that will work either unless they have a really good attorney and paralegals that can dig up more information on AA. The assumption of him committing a crime or attempting to at a later date isn't going to work imo. That said I'm not up on Georgia's laws and don't know anything about their court system, but I could see it being dropped down to aggregated manslaughter or whatever they call that down there.

Unfortunately that will likely happen even though I feel like AA was killed in cold blood myself. If there is ever a reason for people not being allowed to own guns, this father son combo fits the bill.

I don't see how they can prove that he was trying to rob the house, from any videos I've seen at least. The only thing going for them is that he tried to disarm the son which eventuality shot him. But I'm not sure that will work either unless they have a really good attorney and paralegals that can dig up more information on AA. The assumption of him committing a crime or attempting to at a later date isn't going to work imo. That said I'm not up on Georgia's laws and don't know anything about their court system, but I could see it being dropped down to aggregated manslaughter or whatever they call that down there.

Unfortunately that will likely happen even though I feel like AA was killed in cold blood myself. If there is ever a reason for people not being allowed to own guns, this father son combo fits the bill.

I don't see the logic of saying these two are an example of why people shouldn't be able to own guns. That's like saying a DUI driver who crashes and kills a family in another car is an example of why people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

They messed up, not me.

Fwiw, I think they will try some kind of self defense argument. I don't think it will work.

Georgia only has one Murder charge and two manslaughter charges available.

In Georgia Murder is mandatory life at the least, then life without parole and then the death penalty.

The defense will try to tie AA to other burglary related crimes in the area. If they can do that, it will continue to shift the case. Also, it sounds like there was multiple witnesses nearby, we haven’t heard their accounts.

Georgia only has one Murder charge and two manslaughter charges available.

In Georgia Murder is mandatory life at the least, then life without parole and then the death penalty.

That's one thing people don't think about. Laws are different everywhere.

I don't see the logic of saying these two are an example of why people shouldn't be able to own guns. That's like saying a DUI driver who crashes and kills a family in another car is an example of why people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

I agree.

They messed up, not me.

Fwiw, I think they will try some kind of self defense argument. I don't think it will work.

You're right, I accidentally edited out two important words when I posted that. I was referring to people "like them" who are irresponsible gun owners. Like them are the two words I accidentally left out, I'm all for gun rights in general.

But to put what I meant to say into perspective with a DUI driver killing a family while drunk and driving, they would lose their right to drive as well.

Absolutely, yes. I do not, repeat, do NOT think these folks should have even so much as followed Arbery down the street after he left the construction site, but seeing that video, it is my assumption that he was looking to see what was in the house to steal.

With the amount of theft that occurs on construction jobsites, I assume that anyone who walks onto a jobsite who isn't an employee for the builder is showing up to steal something. In construction, we figure in tens of thousands of dollars on each and every project to cover for jobsite theft.

Looking at things from the perspective of construction management, my assumption is that regardless whether they're white, black, Asian, Hispanic, or other...when someone is "looking around" on my jobsite while no one else is there, then they're planning on stealing off of my jobsite. Just the reality of how it goes in construction. I've had anything and everything stolen off of jobsites, right down wet concrete. I've had Bobcats stolen off of my jobsites, steel I-beams, copper pipe and wire that were already in the walls, lumber, boxes of nails, concrete forms, fill dirt, sand, drywall, drywall mud, doors, roofing materials, siding...I even had a house in Cold Spring where my landscaper had put in all of the sod and it all disappeared the night after they laid it.

When I was the project manager for the construction of the Baldwin Center on Eden Park Drive in Cincy, we had 6" chainlink construction fence around the site and 2 armed guards on the jobsite during all non-working hours on the site, and we still lost almost $100,000 in material on that job.

Copper piping is a popular target of criminals in our area, which is much more rural than what you are accustomed to dealing with. I didn't realize people were stealing Bobcats though. Jeez Louise.

Copper piping is a popular target of criminals in our area, which is much more rural than what you are accustomed to dealing with. I didn't realize people were stealing Bobcats though. Jeez Louise.

You name it, I've seen it stolen. Bobcats included, the newer ones have GPS trackers on them for that reason. Hell, I've seen people drive up and steal the trailers used to transport said Bobcats, no GPS tracker on those but still worth a couple thousand dollars. Even on locked up/fenced in job sites, they're just such an easy target when everyone clears out on Friday and don't realize things are stolen until Monday. I get it though, those stories don't make headlines and often times people don't realize it's happened unless they're involved somehow.

Absolutely, yes. I do not, repeat, do NOT think these folks should have even so much as followed Arbery down the street after he left the construction site, but seeing that video, it is my assumption that he was looking to see what was in the house to steal.

With the amount of theft that occurs on construction jobsites, I assume that anyone who walks onto a jobsite who isn't an employee for the builder is showing up to steal something. In construction, we figure in tens of thousands of dollars on each and every project to cover for jobsite theft.

Looking at things from the perspective of construction management, my assumption is that regardless whether they're white, black, Asian, Hispanic, or other...when someone is "looking around" on my jobsite while no one else is there, then they're planning on stealing off of my jobsite. Just the reality of how it goes in construction. I've had anything and everything stolen off of jobsites, right down wet concrete. I've had Bobcats stolen off of my jobsites, steel I-beams, copper pipe and wire that were already in the walls, lumber, boxes of nails, concrete forms, fill dirt, sand, drywall, drywall mud, doors, roofing materials, siding...I even had a house in Cold Spring where my landscaper had put in all of the sod and it all disappeared the night after they laid it.

When I was the project manager for the construction of the Baldwin Center on Eden Park Drive in Cincy, we had 6" chainlink construction fence around the site and 2 armed guards on the jobsite during all non-working hours on the site, and we still lost almost $100,000 in material on that job.

This is a wild post! Also, stealing sod sounds like a lot of work.

You're right, I accidentally edited out two important words when I posted that. I was referring to people "like them" who are irresponsible gun owners. Like them are the two words I accidentally left out, I'm all for gun rights in general.

But to put what I meant to say into perspective with a DUI driver killing a family while drunk and driving, they would lose their right to drive as well.

Right, but the DUI driver wouldn't cause everyone to lose their rights. That was my point. I get what you mean now though.