Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

1 hour ago, ATLCat said:

I mean, it would be pretty hypocritical to allow everything to reopen and then say we can't play high school football because it isn't safe. Of course, no one would be surprised if that were to be the case, but you can't open everything and then in the same breath try to argue that high school sports aren't safe. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I mean, it would be pretty hypocritical to allow everything to reopen and then say we can't play high school football because it isn't safe. Of course, no one would be surprised if that were to be the case, but you can't open everything and then in the same breath try to argue that high school sports aren't safe. 

I agree 100% and this is especially true because children are largely unaffected by the Rona. 

I mentioned this in another thread, adults have no right to deny children an in person education and/or their extracurricular activities. 

• Like 4

I hope we (in KY and FL) can continue to progress towards the start of a season. In Hillsborough (Tampa) County we're currently in our last week of phase two, which means we're allowed to use the weight room in addition to outside conditioning. I'm sure we'll find out this week if we'll go to our phase 3 plan, which is adding "skill acquisition" to our programs. 

Those who know me are aware how much I want high school football to be a go this fall.  However, I am not impressed with the success rates for professional and college sports in their training camps.  if the KHSAA is looking at that...........

On 7/2/2020 at 12:38 PM, theguru said:

I agree 100% and this is especially true because children are largely unaffected by the Rona. 

I mentioned this in another thread, adults have no right to deny children an in person education and/or their extracurricular activities. 

To play devil's advocate, what do we do with teachers who have compromised immune systems?

7 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

To play devil's advocate, what do we do with teachers who have compromised immune systems?

Those teachers will have a choice to make but it doesn't change the fact "the adults" have no right to deny "the children" an education. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Those teachers will have a choice to make but it doesn't change the fact "the adults" have no right to deny "the children" an education. 

NTI satisfies their right to an education. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nkypete said:

Those who know me are aware how much I want high school football to be a go this fall.  However, I am not impressed with the success rates for professional and college sports in their training camps.  if the KHSAA is looking at that...........

What did you expect though? I see this a lot about how many people tested positive. How are we as fans supposed to be surprised to see in a group of 100+ people like is the case on college football teams that 20 some odd kids test positive like at Clemson which I believe has the highest number of any P5 school. Those rates are still way, way lower than the amount of the general population would be at if we tested everyone. The colleges and pros at least at the team level are handling this close to perfect. Now the whole NCAA and the professional league offices, not so much. But on the whole I’ve been very pleased with how things have turned out once teams have started practicing again. 

Schutt Helmets is developing "Splash Shields" which are a full faced visor to protect players from getting spit, breathed on etc, this fall. More than 50 schools have ordered it, and apparently they do not fog up, and are breathable. Sounds like a great idea, especially for high schools if they are affordable. 

9 hours ago, nkypete said:

I’m curious at what you expected success rates to be? They are testing everyone a lot more, than any regular person would be tested for. Were your expectations that none of these players would get it? If so then your expectations are very unrealistic. People need to realize, that majority of people have either had it, have it, will get it, or just will never even know they had it. So obviously there will be positive test, with how much they test athletes. 

I have not seen anything surprising or concerning at the college or pro levels. The expectation, I’m sure they even had is they knew there were going to be players to test positive. Just like there will be some during the season. Which that should be the expectation in high school too. Try to be as safe as possible, but understand either way there are going to be some positive cases at some point for every school, and that would be true with or without sports. 

Right now Pools, bars, restaurants, are all open in Kentucky. If that is going to be the case, then no reason not to try to have school and sports as close as back to normal as well. If kids Want to play and their parents agree to let them play, then they should get the opportunity to play. Then revisit it, if a huge spike does eventually come. 

5 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I’m curious at what you expected success rates to be? They are testing everyone a lot more, than any regular person would be tested for. Were your expectations that none of these players would get it? If so then your expectations are very unrealistic. People need to realize, that majority of people have either had it, have it, will get it, or just will never even know they had it. So obviously there will be positive test, with how much they test athletes. 

I have not seen anything surprising or concerning at the college or pro levels. The expectation, I’m sure they even had is they knew there were going to be players to test positive. Just like there will be some during the season. Which that should be the expectation in high school too. Try to be as safe as possible, but understand either way there are going to be some positive cases at some point for every school, and that would be true with or without sports. 

Right now Pools, bars, restaurants, are all open in Kentucky. If that is going to be the case, then no reason not to try to have school and sports as close as back to normal as well. If kids Want to play and their parents agree to let them play, then they should get the opportunity to play. Then revisit it, if a huge spike does eventually come. 

You are reading way too much in my post.  I'm seeing the same things that we are all seeing - multiple players within sports teams are testing positive, some teams (e.g. the Dallas MLS team) are closing camp, and training schedules are being affected.  I'm not blaming the teams.  I'm possibly blaming players who might be getting careless on their personal time and bringing the virus into the training camp and spreading it.  Yes, open things up, but be smart.  Each individual has to make that commitment themselves for all.  Let me be clear again - I want the high school football season to begin.