Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

Just saw on the news that at the Univ. of Alabama they have already had several players test positive for the virus. Now while it's true they just came together since Monday the report also stated that one of the players that tested positive had been involved in several group drills.

It had to be assumed players would test positive. Since many people could have it, and not show symptoms. There are many people who have probably have or had it. So with colleges testing all their players all the time, even without symptoms. There are going to be some positive test that come up.

We'll see how well colleges and universities handle student-athletes who test positive. The better they handle it the more confidence I could see university leaders having with returning of more sports to campus.

It had to be assumed players would test positive. Since many people could have it, and not show symptoms. There are many people who have probably have or had it. So with colleges testing all their players all the time, even without symptoms. There are going to be some positive test that come up.

Both of you are correct. The biggest differences in college compared to high school is the ability to mass test players and quarantine those that test positive. Colleges have greater access to medical facilities if necessary, with many having hospitals connected to the university. Add to that, it will be much easier to quarantine/shelter in place all of their students athletes in dorms or whatever type of housing they use. Plus, and I don't want this to sound callous, but they have rosters of nearly 100 kids, which means if five test positive (like Alabama) it doesn't decimate a roster.

High schools likely can't mass test. Medical facilities aren't readily available in many Kentucky counties. High school players will go home each night to houses across the community and coaches will have no real contact with them until the next practice. Finally, with many high school rosters hovering around 30-40 players, any moderate number of positive tests could make it difficult to continue fielding a team.

Bottom line, I'm positive high schools want to play football this fall, just like colleges. But I believe there is much greater wiggle room for colleges than there is high schools. And that will be the absolute biggest thing to watch going into summer football practice.

It seems like at this point that this ain’t going away so I think as a civilization you have to make a decision are we going to shut down until a vaccine is available which in all likelihood is going to take more than a year maybe two to get to everyone or are we going to continue with life and the vulnerable people and the people that’s scared to death of it stay home. I for one am not scared of it if it’s my time it’s my time and I’m not going to waste my life sitting at home scared to go anywhere. If there was high school football tomorrow and we were allowed to attend I would be there.

On Twitter a statement was made that JCPS had decided to not allow face to face meetings with players and coaches until a later date. Does anyone know if this is true?

I did a quick Twitter search and didn't see anything addressing the issue, but possible I overlooked it.

I did a quick Twitter search and didn't see anything addressing the issue, but possible I overlooked it.

It was a tweet by a reporter attempting to confirm what he had heard. I haven’t seen anything from JCPS either.

It was a tweet by a reporter attempting to confirm what he had heard. I haven’t seen anything from JCPS either.

Screenshot_20200607-182746~2.png

You can say my name.

I was the one who was tipped off.

Twitter

What I have learned:

1) This is in effect for both Jefferson and Oldham County public schools (per coaches in both counties)

2) Some schools/programs have yet to get the memo OR do not care about said memo.

Kids can work with "personal trainers", go to their gym, or practice with youth league coaches, but they can't work with their high school coaches. I really don't get it.

I'm seeing videos of kids working with "trainers" on social media almost daily. They are in groups of more than 10, the trainers are not wearing masks, the are sharing equipment (balls, blocking pads, etc.). Wouldn't it be better to allow these kids to work with their professional coaches?

Kids can work with "personal trainers", go to their gym, or practice with youth league coaches, but they can't work with their high school coaches. I really don't get it.

I'm seeing videos of kids working with "trainers" on social media almost daily. They are in groups of more than 10, the trainers are not wearing masks, the are sharing equipment (balls, blocking pads, etc.). Wouldn't it be better to allow these kids to work with their professional coaches?

Welcome to BGP @Just Truth

And right, not allowing high school everything to move forward is a hypocritical joke.

You may be seeing the videos, but these trainers are violating the standards that have been set forth. The KHSAA is allowing the coaching and conditioning to take place, beginning on 6/15, and have gotten rid of the dead period for this year. But until the social distancing measures are completely lifted, actual contact, and therefore games and regular types of practice won't be happening.

I completely agree they are violating the state standards for social distancing. That's exactly my point. The high school coaches would be much more likely to follow the correct protocol.

KHSAA is allowing schools to start back on June 15, but it sounds like some school districts are not going to allow their coaches to start back until later.

It is joke but this has everything to do with no school board wanting to get sued. So they will keep slow playing it.

This. They are taking no chances and I can't say as I blame them. Someone would sue them if their kid got COVID, 100% guarantee.

I don't doubt that someone will try to sue. They absolutely will. That's why schools and coaches should be following the National and State protocols.

However, kids have gotten sick at schools since we've had schools. I'm not aware of any school being successfully sued for a kid getting sick unless the school is somehow negligent. Can we sue if a kid gets the flu, pneumonia, cholera, tuberculosis, staff infection, etc.?

What is going to change between June 15 and June 29? Nothing. It is just delay for delay's sake.

This. They are taking no chances and I can't say as I blame them. Someone would sue them if their kid got COVID, 100% guarantee.

It's not just a fear of getting sued, which I'm sure does somewhat play into the equation. Plans have to be made, facilities have to be prepared, sanitation plans and materials need to be in place. All which will need to be reviewed by someone for feasibility and conformity. And it takes time and resources. It's not as simple as just opening things up and letting the coaches and players do their thing. It's a situation that no one has ever had to deal with, and you better believe school districts are going to make sure all the t's are crossed and I's are dotted. You don't want someone getting sick as a result of not following a good plan, or not having a plan.