Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

It's not just a fear of getting sued, which I'm sure does somewhat play into the equation. Plans have to be made, facilities have to be prepared, sanitation plans and materials need to be in place. All which will need to be reviewed by someone for feasibility and conformity. And it takes time and resources. It's not as simple as just opening things up and letting the coaches and players do their thing. It's a situation that no one has ever had to deal with, and you better believe school districts are going to make sure all the t's are crossed and I's are dotted. You don't want someone getting sick as a result of not following a good plan, or not having a plan.

KHSAA Guidelines provide for no equipment, shared footballs, pads, etc. There is just not much to sanitize, especially if you practice outside. If a school is not prepared to use the weightroom, don't use it. I get that. I would guess there are very few schools that can properly social distance in their locker rooms. Don't use the locker room, until you have a plan. If a team has scanner thermometers they ought to be able to have an outdoor body weight workout using social distancing. If you want to be wild and crazy, each player could have a single plate or dumbbell to use for a workout. Those items could be sanitized after each workout, if the school or coach can get the supplies. It just doesn't seem that complicated to me.

There is some risk of illness in having football workouts at school. There is a lot more risk in working out with a "trainer", at the YMCA or other gym, youth league practice, AAU practice, etc. JCPS, Oldham Co. and others have it backwards in my opinion.

I don't doubt that someone will try to sue. They absolutely will. That's why schools and coaches should be following the National and State protocols.

However, kids have gotten sick at schools since we've had schools. I'm not aware of any school being successfully sued for a kid getting sick unless the school is somehow negligent. Can we sue if a kid gets the flu, pneumonia, cholera, tuberculosis, staff infection, etc.?

What is going to change between June 15 and June 29? Nothing. It is just delay for delay's sake.

While being sued plays a part in some school districts decisions, part of it too is to ensure they have what they need to get started too i.e cleaning supplies.

Also, as far as guidelines and procedures go for returning to campus, what have some ADs been doing for the last month or so? Even if they were not required to have a plan for return to campus, you would think they would be thinking of how to return student athletes to campus through out a regular day anyways.

You're correct about some AD's, but I think some AD's had a plan in place. It is difficult to finalize a plan without knowing the rules. The problem goes higher up.

-KHSAA said team could meet starting June 1, but they waited until May 29 to provide the rules.

-The rules provided on May 29 specifically say more guidance about the requirements for football practice starting June 15 would be coming. That document has still not been provided.

-JCPS says it will provide additional rules beyond the youth sports guidelines and the state rules, but those have not been provided.

The lack of clarity makes it difficult to finalize a plan. We now have CDC Guidelines, State rules for youth sports, and KHSAA rules. We are waiting for KHSAA sport specific guidelines and, in Louisville, JCPS rules. Just make one set of rules for everyone and stick to them.

Edited by Just Truth
unclear

You're correct about some AD's, but I think some AD's had a plan in place. It is difficult to finalize a plan without knowing the rules. The problem goes higher up.

-KHSAA said team could meet starting June 1, but they waited until May 29 to provide the rules.

-The rules provided on May 29 specifically say more guidance about the requirements for football practice starting June 15 would be coming. That document has still not been provided.

-JCPS says it will provide additional rules beyond the youth sports guidelines and the state rules, but those have not been provided.

The lack of clarity makes it difficult to finalize a plan. We now have CDC Guidelines, State rules for youth sports, and KHSAA rules. We are waiting for KHSAA sport specific guidelines and, in Louisville, JCPS rules. Just make one set of rules for everyone and stick to them.

Different areas have been impacted differently and have different resources. So I don’t think one set of rules is going to fit all situations, so it’s not surprising there will be some coming back quickly, and others who take things much slower with more caution.

They have sport specific rules broke down on their website.

But they are vague. One would think basketball and volleyball would be able to do small group skills work with a ball. Superintendents were told last Tuesday no gymnasiums could be used. So basically they could only be outside and do conditioning.

We were told Thursday that they would send something in the next couple of days going back over this information. Still waiting.

But they are vague. One would think basketball and volleyball would be able to do small group skills work with a ball. Superintendents were told last Tuesday no gymnasiums could be used. So basically they could only be outside and do conditioning.

Football is the same way. If you have a group of 10 and each one uses a separate ball you’d think no problems right? QB’s and WR’s can’t work on timing or catching. Basically just footwork and conditioning.

After what has taking place the last couple of weeks there should be no reason why we cant move forward with the normal plans. Yes take precautions and do what you can to reduce the risks but lets move on! If Jefferson Co. doesn't see a huge spike in sickness and/or test positives in the next week or so they need to open everything ASAP business as usual!

This was stated before, but the longer things are delayed kids are just meeting up together at the park and throwing the ball around. Again, as stated earlier might as well have kids in a bit more secure environment at campus than running routes at the local park.

This was stated before, but the longer things are delayed kids are just meeting up together at the park and throwing the ball around. Again, as stated earlier might as well have kids in a bit more secure environment at campus than running routes at the local park.

Kids are together no matter what. At my gym today I probably saw at least 10 local high school football players and some college football players working out. No one has a mask on and there is NO SOCIAL DISTANCING. It is business as usual.

Kids are together no matter what. At my gym today I probably saw at least 10 local high school football players and some college football players working out. No one has a mask on and there is NO SOCIAL DISTANCING. It is business as usual.

Sounds like someone needs to turn your gym in. :lol2:

Sounds like someone needs to turn your gym in. :lol2:

That is funny, I am sure it is nearly the same at every gym.

Additionally, I went to a live music event at a marina the weekend before last, no masks, no distancing, no nothing, and it was a great time.

This past weekend I went to an outdoor live music event in Ohio, again, no nothing and a great time.

I am making an overarching point that all the rules and guidelines are nothing but a fantasy and given that fact and the fact "The Rona" has almost no affect on school aged children there is no justification to continue denying our children the opportunity to play organized sports and get back in the classroom.

I listened to a parent update call yesterday that was going over the precautions that the team will be taking starting next Monday. They were all in good faith and trying to meet all the requirements but having kids keep 6ft apart, wearing masks in between drills, one kid at time through drills, wiping everything down after every drill and touch, etc... is just crazy! The coaches will be spending more time babysitting these requirements then actually coaching. You could tell the coaches are really thrilled about it too. It will be like herding cats out there on the field. Also they mentioned about if the first 2 games are cancelled KHSAA should really look at the RPI ratings for seeding this year. A lot of the teams schedule tough out of district games early that really drive the RPI. So if you miss out and have a weak district your playoff seeding could really take a hit

I listened to a parent update call yesterday that was going over the precautions that the team will be taking starting next Monday. They were all in good faith and trying to meet all the requirements but having kids keep 6ft apart, wearing masks in between drills, one kid at time through drills, wiping everything down after every drill and touch, etc... is just crazy! The coaches will be spending more time babysitting these requirements then actually coaching. You could tell the coaches are really thrilled about it too. It will be like herding cats out there on the field. Also they mentioned about if the first 2 games are cancelled KHSAA should really look at the RPI ratings for seeding this year. A lot of the teams schedule tough out of district games early that really drive the RPI. So if you miss out and have a weak district your playoff seeding could really take a hit

Seeding is a non issue. Last year was the first year seeding was used, and last years and this years schedules were done before seeding became a thing, so schedules weren’t done with seeding in mind. Plus seeding is only an issue for rounds 3 and 4. I’d be more worried about teams whose districts are more conservative and may end up not playing. Just getting games in is more worrisome than seeding in November.