Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

27 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Forget about the coronavirus for a second, and let's look at it this way.  If you were standing 2-3 feet from someone and they sneezed, which do you think is going to keep more of their "spray" off you?

A.  A mask on them?

B.  A mask on you?

I can't believe we're still debating this. 

I do not think anyone is debating the spread of germs. If I do not have the Coronavirus, then why do I need to wear a mask? 

I usually do wear one in stores and businesses because I think a business has the right to require something of me in order to enter their private property. 

For people that make a scene in stores when being asked to wear a mask, you should not do that. It is not very nice.

For people that make a scene and yell at people for not wearing a mask in a store, you shouldn't do that. It is not very nice.

26 minutes ago, PP1 said:

I do not think anyone is debating the spread of germs. If I do not have the Coronavirus, then why do I need to wear a mask? 

I usually do wear one in stores and businesses because I think a business has the right to require something of me in order to enter their private property. 

For people that make a scene in stores when being asked to wear a mask, you should not do that. It is not very nice.

For people that make a scene and yell at people for not wearing a mask in a store, you shouldn't do that. It is not very nice.

Because you may have it and not know it. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, PP1 said:

I very much agree with the last 3 paragraphs.  That is exactly my view on all of this.  Your first paragraph - not so much (see @sweet16 response).

1 hour ago, sweet16 said:

I may, you are correct. But if you took a test yesterday and you do not It have it, then what is gained by wearing a mask? I may have contracted it in the last 24 hours? If so, then why even take the test?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

We just got back from a vacation in the Clearwater area of Florida.  Masks were everywhere and enforced by every restaurant and business that we went to.

That may be because wearing masks is required in all indoor public areas and all indoor private businesses by Pinellas County ordinance (Hillsborough and Pasco have the same ordinance). The businesses are responsible for enforcement. Failure of a business to comply results in a hefty fine on the business. 

On top of that, Publix has mandated masks be worn in all of their stores, regardless of local laws or ordinances. I rarely go to any grocery store, anymore, opting for delivery unless we only need one item, like milk. Mrs. S drinks that A2 stuff and I can't get that in bulk. 

I met my daughter at Lenny's in Clearwater for breakfast Saturday morning. It's the first time I've been in a restaurant to sit down and eat in quite a while. I usually do curb-side pickup or delivery. It was different wearing a mask to the table, not wearing it once seated, then putting it back on to leave. (That logic makes no sense to me and it's the inconsistencies that drive me nuts.) 

During the lock down, I did not have to wear a mask at work. We had a fellow in production who's brother tested positive so we sent him home and he tested positive. At that point I had to wear a mask if I had to go into the production area. Now, after the passage of the mask ordinance, if I leave my office, I have to wear a mask. 

33 minutes ago, PP1 said:

I may, you are correct. But if you took a test yesterday and you do not It have it, then what is gained by wearing a mask? I may have contracted it in the last 24 hours? If so, then why even take the test?

Tests are for moment in time readings. This has been the same for viral infection readings through mankind, but people are now just grasping that notion. It is the same if I get a physical one day, and everything looks good, then the next day I break my arm.

RE: Tests. At some point they do become useless, especially if we are waiting 4-5 days for results. With you on that point.

Let's not overthink this. You wear a mask for at least one of the following reasons: protection of yourself, protection of others, or as a general courtesy. If you are not checking any of those boxes - or feel they apply - you are not wearing a mask.

1 hour ago, sweet16 said:

So, in theory, you MAY.   So to start with you have to be a) infected and b) asymptomatic.  Both are very, very rare things.   Though its thrown around like half the population is Typhoid Marys.  Also very rare is asymptomatic transmission (in any setting) and public transmission (vs home transmission).  

The whole scenario that masks supposedly protect society is based on a chain of extremely unlikely things all occurring.  Its a scenerio that seems almost unattainable.     Could it happen - of course, in theory.   Are the odds 25% or .0000025%?  Probably a lot closer to the later. 

This has been arguably the most disappointing event of my life. The way our country and our countrymen have behaved and continue to behave is an embarrassment. The US virus cases continue to roar on full throttle while virtually every other country in the world has the virus well in control. And still there are Americans who refuse to try and do things that should help. Why has almost every other country managed this so much better than the US? Step back and look at how we as a nation have managed this compared to other nations. We are now the nation that is banned from travel. Our neighbors in Canada don't even want MLB baseball teams traveling to Toronto. We all need to do some self reflection and do better. What we have done or not done to this point as a nation and as individuals is a huge embarrassment to every American.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PP1 said:

Because someone with your thought process may have it and not know it and don’t wear a mask either. You come in contact with them and then you have it. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

This has been arguably the most disappointing event of my life. The way our country and our countrymen have behaved and continue to behave is an embarrassment. The US virus cases continue to roar on full throttle while virtually every other country in the world has the virus well in control. And still there are Americans who refuse to try and do things that should help. Why has almost every other country managed this so much better than the US? Step back and look at how we as a nation have managed this compared to other nations. We are now the nation that is banned from travel. Our neighbors in Canada don't even want MLB baseball teams traveling to Toronto. We all need to do some self reflection and do better. What we have done or not done to this point as a nation and as individuals is a huge embarrassment to every American.

Agree completely. It’s beyond embarrassing.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sweet16 said:

Because someone with your thought process may have it and not know it and don’t wear a mask either. You come in contact with them and then you have it. 

Unless I read the statement wrong, according to the CDC getting it from an asymptomatic infected person (someone infected but does not know they have it) is rare, not automatic.

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Agree completely. It’s beyond embarrassing.

57 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Right there with you.

As I noted, the only saving grace is that we are better at treating the virus. Thank God for doctors and science.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, swamprat said:

Unless I read the statement wrong, according to the CDC getting it from an asymptomatic infected person (someone infected but does not know they have it) is rare, not automatic.

Not sure the word rare is the correct term, but you are correct in that asymptomatic transmission is not as likely from the information which has been gathered.  Still pretty early on in this thing. I think of "rare" as finding a needle in a haystack or getting struck by lightening. 🙂

1 minute ago, bugatti said:

Not sure the word rare is the correct term, but you are correct in that asymptomatic transmission is not as likely from the information which has been gathered.  Still pretty early on in this thing. I think of "rare" as finding a needle in a haystack or getting struck by lightening. 🙂

I think 0 for 455 is rare. 

2 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

I think 0 for 455 is rare. 

That would mean non-existent. Which from most reputable medical guidance I have seen does not support that.

You have to provide more context than what you posted.