How old were you when the September 11th attacks happened?

Randy Parker

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 days short of being 35 years old.

I was at work when my wife called and told me what happened, right after the second tower was struck.

Having no outside access to cable or satellite, we were only getting info second hand. Around noon the corporate office got permission from one of the news networks to put their feed up on all of the televisions in electronics. 40 TV's showed the horror to our customers and associates. The store was earily quiet all day, even with 100's of customers in the store.

A few "Preppers" came in a loaded up on water, canned good and other supplies but to most it was just a normal, albeit quiet, day at Walmart.

I was 19 working at a warehouse part-time while going to college. The company I worked for had 2 separate buildings and we had 1 guy that ran parts back and forth between the 2 buildings. I remember like yesterday him coming after hearing about the first plane hitting on the radio. I don't remember much about the rest of the afternoon until I got to a tv, and then it was just disbelief.

Holy cow! i am further depressed on this day learning that not one poster is even close to my age.

My wife and i were on a cross country trip to the west coast with her brother and his wife. we had been driving all morning and knew nothing about it until we stopped for fuel in a little ma and pa store/gas station. I went in to purchase some snacks and use the restroom and saw several people congregated around a radio and obviously upset. When I inquired about what was the matter you would have thought I had two heads. Needless to say the rest of our trip was not what it could have been. Las Vegas was really eerie. They closed down a reenactment of a battleship battle for fear the sounds of cannons would invoke fear etc. The wives refused to cross the Golden Gate Bridge for fear it may have been targeted. They would not go up into the St. Louis Arch either. To make matters worse my daughter was home alone .

Do any of you wish to discuss where you were when JFK was shot?

I was 27. I was on vacation with my wife and daughter. We were in a hotel room getting ready to leave. I was in the bathroom and my wife called out to me that a plane had hit one of the towers. I came out to watch the news and we saw the second one hit.

We were staying in Bristol, Virginia. We were getting ready to drive up to Washington, DC. Needless to say, our plans changed. I’ve still never made it to DC.

33 and I believe it was the only time in my life I sat in a room full of police officers and it was silent.

Silent because we were watching the coverage, getting our orders from the Feds, and knowing it was time to kick some you know what.

Probably knowing some of those guys with you would be going over seas to kick some tail too I'd imagine.

Guess I’m the young one in the group. I was 11. My grade was the one that got to go to DC that year, though the ramifications didn’t cross my mind for several months.

We were in gym class with a Veteran and our home room teacher came to get us about 20 minutes early. Only made one class change that day. A few classmates went home early to be with their family. Longest I ever watched tv in school until I became a Sub.

In bed during the initial attack. I worked the ramp for Delta at the time and had to work at 1 p.m. The most surreal day of work I will likely ever encounter. That day changed the course of my work life. At the peak of my employment with Delta we had over 700 daily flights from CVG. The airline industry changed and within two years I lost my job as a ramp rat and had a choice between a furlough or a transfer to reservations. I almost wish I would have taken the furlough.