How old were you when the September 11th attacks happened?

Randy Parker

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 - I was off work because I had just had shoulder surgery a couple days before. I watched all day long. Shocked, mesmerized, and angry.

MrsC's brother was a dispatcher for United back then. He actually fueled and charted, the night before, one of the planes that went down.

Imagine getting waken up to banging at your door, not knowing anything had happened, and getting greeted by the FBI.

39 - I was off work because I had just had shoulder surgery a couple days before. I watched all day long. Shocked, mesmerized, and angry.

MrsC's brother was a dispatcher for United back then. He actually fueled and charted, the night before, one of the planes that went down.

Imagine getting waken up to banging at your door, not knowing anything had happened, and getting greeted by the FBI.

I got visited by the MIB at work nearby 40 years ago. As Tommie Lee Jones said, they do not have a sense of humor.

I was 31 and at work. My wife called and told me about the first plane and we turned on the tv just in time to see the second plane hit. We ended up closing early and I spent the rest of the day watching tv. I later found out I knew one of the pilots of the plane that crashed in PA as he was a graduate of my college and was best friends with the older brother of one of my good friends.

I was supposed to travel to meet my boss in Chicago the next day, and obviously that trip got cancelled. My boss was in the air when everything happened and was stuck and couldn’t get back home. No flights, no rental cars available. He ended up buying a car so he could get home for an event he had to attend a few days later.

I was 26 and had just begun working at P&G.

In one of the most surreal "almost misses" of my life, I had actually spent the previous weekend in Cooperstown NY at the MLB HOF with a group of friends. Our plans had been to enjoy the HOF and head to NYC for a Yankees game. However, due to the four of us having a miserable time at the then tech-unfriendly Cooperstown, we cut the trip short and returned home a few days early.

We left Cooperstown Sunday night, took way too long to drive home and eventually arrived back in Northern Ky late Monday night. I crashed and woke up to my phone being blown up by family and friends who thought I was in NYC.

Crazy. To this day, I wonder often how I would have handled being so close to such a tragedy. I dream a lot about it. Very thankful we decided to come home.