How old were you when the September 11th attacks happened?

Randy Parker

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bow to you, but might have a problem standing back up. But, congrats on keeping on, keeping on. But, I reclaim the throne as I made a mathematical mistake. I was born in 1946 making be 55 in 2001. What an idiot I am.

And I bow to you and gladly relinquish my short-lived title.

I was 47.

I was a high school teacher and a friend who worked at the BOE called me and said, “Turn on your classroom TV, a big plane has hit one of the twin towers in New York City.”

By the time I turned on the television the second tower had been hit as well. We watched the events in all the classes as they unfolded the rest of the day. One thing I noticed was how quite the students were, even the usual rowdy ones.

I was 18 and a freshman in college. I was on my way to my first class of they day when I heard a report on the radio of a plane hitting the first tower. I remember thinking, huh that's odd. My mind immediately went to the B-25 Mitchell that accidentally crashed into the Empire State building during WWII. I instantly assumed it was some small plane flown by some idiot who had no idea what he was doing or was trying to show off and misjudged what he was doing.

Went to class and then found out the details afterward. Bellarmine cancelled classes for the rest of the day around 11 or so that day. I went home and sat there watching the TV the for coverage until I had to go to work at 5 that night.

I was 37, and between TV binges and overdosing sadly on that, I took my guitar to the park that afternoon as it was a beautiful sunny day and my day off, and as I was feeling very emotional I wrote a song called 911, where the lyrics went like this... 911 911 911 911 I don't feel safe anymore, I don't feel safe anymore...throw the board of Risk away, and end this game it's getting late, erase the lines that separate, we need more love and a little less hate. It was an emotionally somber tune that basically continued to repeat those lyrics.

One thing that I've seen very little reference to either online or in the media is that on the night of 911 my neighbor and I freaked out when we saw the crescent moon and a star right by it just like it is on many Arab flags where that symbol recognizes when the prophet Muhammad was supposed to have been visited by by Allah.

We concluded that the terrorists might have planned the attack on this day to represent to their people as a unifier that in their eyes this was the day that they had a major victory over the U.S., as well as it freakishly being a coincidence that the day was 911. It bewilders me that there has been next to nothing ever mentioned regarding the crescent moon and star in the sky that night which from what I gather is a big deal for the Arab nation.