How old were you when the September 11th attacks happened?

Randy Parker

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you who were in school...did you do anything the rest of the day, or just watch the coverage?

We were on block scheduling, and I believe we were still in 1st period. We didn't change classes before lunch like normal. So then we had lunch, and I believe everyone went to their homerooms after lunch and stayed there the rest of the afternoon, just watching TV.

Ari Fleischer @AriFleischer

Immediately before the plane hit the Pentagon, the USSS burst into VP Cheney's office in the West Wing and literally picked him up "so his feet sometimes touched the ground" and took him to the bunker under the White House. One minute later the plane hit the Pentagon.

^ Wow.

We were on block scheduling, and I believe we were still in 1st period. We didn't change classes before lunch like normal. So then we had lunch, and I believe everyone went to their homerooms after lunch and stayed there the rest of the afternoon, just watching TV.

I believe if I was a high school, and maybe middle school teacher, I would have done the same. Not sure what I would have done as an elementary school teacher.

Ari Fleischer @AriFleischer

Immediately before the plane hit the Pentagon, the USSS burst into VP Cheney's office in the West Wing and literally picked him up "so his feet sometimes touched the ground" and took him to the bunker under the White House. One minute later the plane hit the Pentagon.

^ Wow.

Yeah, that one stuck out to me too.

I was in college when it occurred. I remember standing in my living room watching it before heading to class. I ended up being late to class. I walked into class an professor asked where I was. I told him to turn on the TV. We watched TV in that class and my next class. My employer at the time let everyone leave by noon, so I didn't have to go in afterwards. I ended up meeting my parents at Fridays for lunch where we watched on the TV there. I've never been in a restaurant where it was so quiet. Everyone was just watching and listening to the TVs in there as they ate.

Those of you who were in school...did you do anything the rest of the day, or just watch the coverage?

Didn't know until after lunch. Went through four periods of school and then all of lunch before I saw a TV screen. We had the TVs on for those final three periods of the day. I remember a lot about that day with alarming clarity, but don't honestly remember the conversations about it. I remember the images, those first times seeing the towers burn then fall hours after it had actually happened.

Where I currently work, we are directly in one of the landing paths of SDF. On a normal day, I rarely notice the 50 or so planes that fly just 500 feet over us. Today, I've noticed every single one...

I was discussing this with a coworker earlier today. The thing I remember most about that day was standing outside the building where I work, after the towers had comedown and the planes were grounded, and hearing nothing. I remember the silence. It was a weird feeling.