Covington Catholic faces backlash after tense exchange with indigenous marchers

futurecoach

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clearly I am not up to speed on this and have not read this whole thread but heard about this last night. Here is a long video of supposedly the whole situation. Maybe we can take something from this as its video.

I'd say that if you watched this entire 1 hour and 46 minute video, listened closely to those who provided the video and saw what occurred at the 1hour and 12minute mark of the video, you are very much up to speed.

Thank you for sharing as it puts much of what allegedly happened into the context of what actually occurred.

It's been pointed out. Members of the group did several stereotypical characterizations of Native Americans. Apparently, most of these actions are so ingrained into our society, that many people don't even notice when someone does them.

Again, isn't doing the chop enough? How many things do you have to do before you can get called out for it? Or does everyone get one freebie?

I think we have gone past calling them out.

Should we judge every kid because 3 did a tomahawk chop? The whole school is racist now? Should we expell kids for doing it?

You made your mind up based on one 30 second clip. You were fine believing theories about them harrassing African Americans, and surrounding him, with no video evidence of such.

But you need to see a video of him walking into the group, because the one of him approaching them isn't good enough?

That’s the risk of forming an opinion on page 1.

It’s part of the entire circumstance. As I said in my post, the kids should have reacted to the Native American envoy better. However, it was the context of a completely bizarre series of events.

Send me your manual on how to react when a group of Native Americans approaches you with a banging drum, shortly after being taunted by another group.8

I wish they would have walked away. They didn’t. Many of the kids acted inappropriately and, I am certain that the issue will be addressed when they return to school.

Obviously, the right thing would have been to have the presence of mind to walk away, in that instant.

The point re: the African Americans is made to show that the boys are not racially charged bigots. They handled that situation perfectly and literally a minute later, they’re hit from another angle. I don’t think they developed an elitist, racist attitude in 30-60 seconds.

I think they didn’t act right and they will be taught/disciplined. To pontificate to the contrary and make assertions as to their parents is ridiculous.

I just want to point out that the reaction to the Native Americans was not out of hate. Given the circumstance, the reactions while inappropriate and discipline worthy, came from a different place than hate.

Again, don’t wear the MAGA gear. It’s akin to pouring a bucket of blood on your body and jumping in the ocean.

Or maybe it's because the African American group was a little more "scary" to the group than a 70 year old Native American with a drum. They probably didn't want to chance their reaction to taunts.

Or maybe it's because the African American group was a little more "scary" to the group than a 70 year old Native American with a drum. They probably didn't want to chance their reaction to taunts.

Well they did have one black student amongst them so they probably couldn’t say what they really wanted to say to the scary negroes taunting them.

Ridiculous. Believe what you want. I’m out.

They started doing school chants to drown out the homophobic, racist African American group. They weren't scared. They literally stood there and talked to them.

So... no.

You made your mind up based on one 30 second clip. You were fine believing theories about them harrassing African Americans, and surrounding him, with no video evidence of such.

But you need to see a video of him walking into the group, because the one of him approaching them isn't good enough?

I didn't make my mind up based on one 30 second clip. I watched several, and now I'm watching the video JJ posted. But it's good to know you were in the room watching ALL the videos with me...

There's a difference between walking up to a group, and walking into the middle of a group. Surely we can agree on that?

This video is a little shorter than JJ, but still says a lot more about the situation. At some points the CovCath guys did a great job of walking away...other times they acted like immature, pompous, idiots. The Mr. Phillips group, in my eyes was definitely not trying to diffuse the situation, but instead were purposefully trying to instigate something.

The other group, was just a pure hate group. Freedom of speech at its worst.

There is a whole lot more to this story than being reported. I in no way defend CovCath. Something needs to happen. The "Colonel Crazies" environment has been taken to far. When the kid takes his shirt off and the crazies begin, things definitely go south.

Two sides to every story. Some people just choose to ignore a side that doesn't back up their opinion.

Edited by silo11

Watching the video JJ posted, it's obvious that the African American group was trying to engage anyone and everyone in the area. They've done so throughout the video.

Here are a few moments I found interesting in the video:

1:09:45 - CCH student jumps out of the crowd, takes his shirt and sweatshirt off and starts a cheer, finishing by flexing with his shirt off facing the African American group.

1:12 - Mr. Phillips enters from the right, walks up to the edge of the CCH group playing his drum.

1:14:10 - CCH group fills in around behind Mr. Phillips and the people filming him.

1:17:30 - An adult enters to try to push the CCH group back away from the African American group. Was this a chaperone, or just a random adult trying to dffuse?

1:19:20 - A CCH student engaging with the African American group yells "We got one at home, but he ain't here." This is in response to the African American group antagonizing the CCH group for only having one black student with them.

As time has gone on, the CCH group has moved closer to, and began to surround the African American group.

That's as far as I am so far.

I didn't make my mind up based on one 30 second clip. I watched several, and now I'm watching the video JJ posted. But it's good to know you were in the room watching ALL the videos with me...

There's a difference between walking up to a group, and walking into the middle of a group. Surely we can agree on that?

Your mind was made up early in this thread, that much is obvious.

This was initially reported that these mean kids surrounded this poor guy for no reason. That is not true. He clearly approached them.

Why do you think a grown man and his group did that? Why did they approach a group of kids who, at the time, had done nothing to them?

Well they did have one black student amongst them so they probably couldn’t say what they really wanted to say to the scary negroes taunting them.

And they informed the group that they "had another one at home" in the video JJ posted.

I think we have gone past calling them out.

Should we judge every kid because 3 did a tomahawk chop? The whole school is racist now? Should we expell kids for doing it?

The answer to your first two questions are pretty easy. No we shouldn't judge every kid, and I'm quite certain the whole school isn't racist. The third question is a little tougher for me. Regardless of the circumstances that led up to the actions of the kids, the fact of the matter is, more than a few kids, decided to go down that road. And while it wasn't the whole group, it was more than a few. One part of me thinks that the kids that did it should be dealt with pretty harshly, and that maybe expulsion would send a message to them and others that it's not ok. On the other hand, with the number of people that are still defending what they did, I really don't think it will change anything.

I have to admit I'm really still struggling with how people can say "it was just a tomahawk chop". Even though there was clearly more than that going on? And even if it was just a "tomahawk chop", then that's not enough to bother people?