Covington Catholic faces backlash after tense exchange with indigenous marchers

futurecoach

I do have to say that I love to be reminded that there are protected people in our country and everyone who doesn’t look like them isn’t.

Nathan Phillips isn’t a threat. He never was. The mere suggestion that he deserved that kind of treatment from the mob is disturbing. It shouldn’t be though because America is continually reminding people of color to sit down, shut up and be grateful that we can drink from the same water fountain. Don’t worry, the message is received loud and clear.

If the mob of kids was a group of black kids from Holmes who sang school songs and chanted at an old white veteran who approached them first no one would absolve those kids from Holmes of anything.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The kid is lying. On multiple points he made, proven by video. They clearly mocked the man. There is zero evidence of him forcing his way into the middle of the group.

Keep enabling them...

Are you serious?! He walked up to them, and people keep saying that the students surrounded him, but he had people that were with him behind him! No one surrounded him!

People just look for reasons to hate CCH and make up false narratives to bash kids to further their own agendas.

Nobody should in anyway justify the behavior of the student mob....its despicable, there is no defense. Just as people should not overlook an adult obviously trying to instigate a mob of kids. Two wrongs...both wrong. What the students do is more egregious, but don't excuse the other because of it.

What did they do? A FEW KIDS did the tomahawk chop?! That was wrong, but what else did they do that people are bashing? They didn't harass the man or approach him like everyone was saying.

It's hilarious because it started as "the group of CCH students walked up and harassed a group of Native Americans," to "the group of CCH students surrounded and harassed a group of Native Americans," to "they surrounded and harassed one," to "they harassed one," to "a few kids did the tomahawk chop, which is hateful and just goes to show that CCH is a bunch of entitled punks."

It's actually beyond ridiculous.

First off, These boys should know better. They are 16-18 years old. They are old enough to know that there is absolutely zero reason to act like that. There is no condoning this type of behavior and the fact that, at the time, they thought it was OK to do this is unbelievably awful.

Secondly, not only have they tarnished their reputation, but Cov Cath's reputation as a school and Catholic's in general. I don't know what the punishment should be, but clearly something needs to be done to teach these boys that what they did was wrong, because clearly nobody in their lives has taught them that racism is wrong, but that it should be common sense by now.

Thirdly, Where are the chaperons? Any adults with them that could have dispersed the situation? Major fail by the school in my opinion. Being on a trip like that and not having proper authority watching over them, especially at a major event like that is a really bad look on the school's part. That's where criticism of the school should be. There should have been an adults there in the first place to make sure this never happened.

Overall, I'm saddened and upset that this happened in the first place. I'm saddened that this ultimately confirms awful stereotypes about our state to outsiders that are untrue. I really hope these boys realize what they did was wrong and that they learn from it.

What did they do that was so wrong? A few kids did the tomahawk chop?

So I watched a longer video.

The kids literally just walk away at one point.

A guy in the group with the man drumming appears to start saying "we won" and they start celebrating. Same guy said something like "white people go back to Europe where you came from".

The worst thing I saw from a few students was the tomahawk chop. It was stupid, but doesn't reflect the entire group.

THANK YOU! SOMEONE THAT THINKS LOGICALLY AND DOESN'T SEE THE INCIDENT THROUGH CCH-HATE LENS!

For those people that are continuing to defend the students.... you are missing an opportunity.

The boys were waiting for the bus minding their own business. Okay, except perhaps taking your shirt off, flexing your muscles, jumping up and down chanting CCH while in the middle of a ProLife march at our Nation’s capital is a bit self entitled in itself? You aren’t in a gym playing a basketball river? Perhaps the other demonstrators do not realize what you are doing, you know, you ARE at a demonstration. Missed opportunity #1.

African Americans come across students. Notice the lack of diversity and make negative comments to such lack of diversity. Perhaps open your eyes to even larger problem? Teachable moment on how to march and move on? Teachable moment #2 opportunity missed.

Native American elder approaches the two groups. Marches in the tight group to peacefully move the two groups away from one another. The boys continue to chant. The boys make tomahawk motions with arms. The boys dance in traditional Indian mannerisms. One member of group firmly plants self so the elder is unable to pass by. Missed learning opportunity #3.

Letter to parents prior to news hitting. Missed learning opportunity #4.

Massive public outrage via social media. Many people saying “you need to hear the whole story”. Missed opportunity #5.

Letter from student to news. Letter does not adequatemy address any of 4-5 prior missed opportunities. Unfortunately, this is now the missed teachable moment #6.

Can someone in the brotherhood rally the group? At this point the only acceptable response is to simply say. Our young men were on a Pro Life demonstration. This is an honor to represent our school and community at an event in a city where we are unknown. Several events happened where we have an opportunity to teach our young men. We did not represent well. Please stop vilifying our young people on social media. We understand the enormanity of their actions. We will teach them better.

You have another great opportunity to fix this. This is Martin Luther King Jr. weekend. There you go. A softball tossed right to you.

Please stop defending bad behavior. It was wrong in any circumstance. It makes me sick that this has turned political. Be the change guys.

Bravo.

If they cared about substance or PR, they'd make sure there was a CCH MLK Day of Service event tomorrow (there probably already is) and they'd make sure an OVERWHELMING # of their students, teachers, parents, administrators, sponsors, alumni, etc. showed up to provide that service.

Are you serious?! He walked up to them, and people keep saying that the students surrounded him, but he had people that were with him behind him! No one surrounded him!

People just look for reasons to hate CCH and make up false narratives to bash kids to further their own agendas.

What did they do? A FEW KIDS did the tomahawk chop?! That was wrong, but what else did they do that people are bashing? They didn't harass the man or approach him like everyone was saying.

It's hilarious because it started as "the group of CCH students walked up and harassed a group of Native Americans," to "the group of CCH students surrounded and harassed a group of Native Americans," to "they surrounded and harassed one," to "they harassed one," to "a few kids did the tomahawk chop, which is hateful and just goes to show that CCH is a bunch of entitled punks."

THANK YOU! SOMEONE THAT THINKS LOGICALLY AND DOESN'T SEE THE INCIDENT THROUGH CCH-HATE LENS!

You don’t even really think the tomahawk chop is wrong, you’re just saying so after the fact because it was brought to your attention.

Keep enabling them. They appreciate your support. :thumb:

If the kids were from Boyle County we’d all be saying the exact same thing. It doesn’t have anything to do with CCH hate.

The administration of the school has acknowledged that the students were wrong. It's a shame we have people continuing to justify or defend their actions.

Look again. Besides the Tomahawk Chop, there were stereotypical "war cries", the chant that you hear at Braves and Fla St games, and kids imitating Native American dance. The only stereotypes missing were nobody put on a Native American headdress or called the drummer Chief. It was painfully clear that the group of students were mocking the man. I've seen it and been on the wrong end of these stereotypes for far too long to not be able to recognize it when I see it.

Even if it "was only a few guys doing the Tomahawk Chop", isn' that enough? If that in itself isn't over the line, what is? Does everyone get a 2 or 3 racist action limit before they can get called to the carpet on it? Defending it as "just the Tomahawk Chop" is one of the ways that racist behavior which is so ingrained in our society, just continues on.

Edited by rjs4470

Look again. Besides the Tomahawk Chop, there were stereotypical "war cries", the chant that you hear at Braves and Fla St games, and kids imitating Native American dance. The only stereotypes missing were nobody put on a Native American headdress or called the drummer Tonto or Chief. It was painfully clear that the group of students were mocking the man. I've seen it and been on the wrong end of these stereotypes for far too long to not be able to recognize it when I see it.

Even if it "was only a few guys doing the Tomahawk Chop", isn' that enough? If that in itself isn't over the line, what is? Does everyone get a 2 or 3 racist action limit before they can get called to the carpet on it?

Yeah but the old man started it! These poor kids should be commended for their restraint! What were they supposed to do when they were attacked by a 70 year old with a drum!?

People can post all the videos and write all the spin they want – if I’m being honest, I’d probably do some of the same if it were my kid. But I and the world still see the smirking/blatant mocking and disrespect. Just own it guys.

Also, rallies and protests can be energizing, unifying and soo empowering...., not to mention they bring attention to issues, you feel heard, it’s a way of bringing about change. Never stop rallying/protesting USA!

People can post all the videos and write all the spin they want – if I’m being honest, I’d probably do some of the same if it were my kid. But I and the world still see the smirking/blatant mocking and disrespect. Just own it guys.

Also, rallies and protests can be energizing, unifying and soo empowering...., not to mention they bring attention to issues, you feel heard, it’s a way of bringing about change. Never stop rallying/protesting USA!

The biggest issue is that some in their community and outside it don't believe they did anything wrong. They were raised in the same environments and culture. It's impossible for them to condemn the behavior.

Sequence of events...

Kids waiting for bus

African American group openly taunting the kids - using homophonic language, the n-word toward two African Americans CCH students, telling them to leave the school before the white kids steal their organs, calling the white kids crackers and school shooters...

The kids respond by chanting “CCH”...

At that point a group led by Mr Phillips (at least one man with some special LED lighted phone), approaches the boys and the rest ensues...

I wished the boys would have walked away. I wish whoever was “chopping” would have refrained. I wish they wouldn’t have danced around and chanted. The behavior was likely the result of confused bewilderment as to what was going on, not out of hate. But, the behavior will be interpreted/spun according to each person’s viewpoint.

The kids should not have been wearing MAGA gear. That was a miss by the administration. These days, especially in an emotionally charged environment like DC on a “March day”, you need to be smarter.

The kids should have reacted to the situation better. But, I laugh at how the behavior of disillusioned African American men is seemingly brushed aside. At some point in this thread, someone reported that the kids were harassing a group of African Americans. That’s a joke. That’s pot stirring and ridiculous. 3 minutes of effort would have revealed clear video evidence to the contrary.

With all of that said, don’t wear the gear, don’t make yourself a target and when LED lit camera phones are rolling and Native Americans are telling you to go back to Europe, you need to walk away.

I pray that at age 14-17, I would have had the presence of mind to walk away, but unless I’m in that situation, I have no idea. In the end, some kids chopped, some kids danced and chanted, some kids stood there with odd looks on their face, especially the ones toward the front that were in close contact with several of these folks who are seasoned veterans in the game.

Like everything else, there’s blame to go around and coulda shoulda woulda.

The biggest issue is that some in their community and outside it don't believe they did anything wrong. They were raised in the same environments and culture. It's impossible for them to condemn the behavior.

Indeed. I’m FB friends with parents, teachers and others’ impacted, and there’s a blatant, bordering on comical denial.

As posted by others, this is the most depressing part of the issue, a missed opportunity of how to handle, address, then move on.

If the Native Americans don't approach the kids, none of this happens. In fact, the kids handled the African American screaming at them, with their VERY derogatory comments, with nothing but class, from the video that is out there. They stood up for their classmate, whom was also an African American and supported him. I wonder why this is not being discussed on this forum or in the National News?

In addition, why hasn't it been discussed how the Native Americans approached the CCH boys and told them to “go back to Europe where you came from!” You don't think they had an agenda, do you?

If I am a 16 year old kid and someone approaches me, several inches from my face, and is banging a drum in my face, I can't tell you how I would have responded. I am sure there are many a kids whom I graduated with that would have handled this situation a lot worse than the way this kid did. These individuals knew what they were doing and were looking for something to happen. The situation could have been handled differently from both sides, but in my opinion, it never starts if the Native American doesn't go in to a crowd of kids, banging a drum.