Covington Catholic faces backlash after tense exchange with indigenous marchers

futurecoach

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The answer to your first two questions are pretty easy. No we shouldn't judge every kid, and I'm quite certain the whole school isn't racist. The third question is a little tougher for me. Regardless of the circumstances that led up to the actions of the kids, the fact of the matter is, more than a few kids, decided to go down that road. And while it wasn't the whole group, it was more than a few. One part of me thinks that the kids that did it should be dealt with pretty harshly, and that maybe expulsion would send a message to them and others that it's not ok. On the other hand, with the number of people that are still defending what they did, I really don't think it will change anything.

I have to admit I'm really still struggling with how people can say "it was just a tomahawk chop". Even though there was clearly more than that going on? And even if it was just a "tomahawk chop", then that's not enough to bother people?

Nope. The coloreds started it.

I didn't make my mind up based on one 30 second clip. I watched several, and now I'm watching the video JJ posted. But it's good to know you were in the room watching ALL the videos with me...

There's a difference between walking up to a group, and walking into the middle of a group. Surely we can agree on that?

I would agree, you are a long way from post #4. Props to you for trying to peel back the onion and get the facts.

Your mind was made up early in this thread, that much is obvious.

This was initially reported that these mean kids surrounded this poor guy for no reason. That is not true. He clearly approached them.

Why do you think a grown man and his group did that? Why did they approach a group of kids who, at the time, had done nothing to them?

How much footage do I need to see in order to determine that A.) The kids were taunting Phillips with chants, chops, and dances and B.) The kid staring down Phillips was trying to intimidate him? On those two points, you're absolutely right. My mind was made up VERY early. But by all means, please let me know how much footage I should watch before being able to come to those conclusions.

Who said they surrounded him for no reason? It was just pointed out that they did in fact surround him. Him walking up to them is a reason to surround him? That part I don't understand, at all. Mob mentality is why they surrounded him, IMO.

Are you also going to paint the students as victims because a man walked up to them playing a drum?

How much footage do I need to see in order to determine that A.) The kids were taunting Phillips with chants, chops, and dances and B.) The kid staring down Phillips was trying to intimidate him? On those two points, you're absolutely right. My mind was made up VERY early. But by all means, please let me know how much footage I should watch before being able to come to those conclusions.

Who said they surrounded him for no reason? It was just pointed out that they did in fact surround him. Him walking up to them is a reason to surround him? That part I don't understand, at all. Mob mentality is why they surrounded him, IMO.

Are you also going to paint the students as victims because a man walked up to them playing a drum?

Of course. It was a big, loud drum.

I think the man playing the drum instigated the situation for a reason. I'm basing that on comments from some in the group with him.

I never said anyone was a victim.

I think the man playing the drum instigated the situation for a reason. I'm basing that on comments from some in the group with him.

I never said anyone was a victim.

Let's say your first sentence is 100% true... How does that justify the taunting and the chants?

Racism and Cultural Insensitivity are not the same thing. Tomahawk Chop is not racist, but very culturally insensitive. And dancing around, whether mocking or not, is not racist either. However, cultural insensitivity is just as bad, because it means you don't care who or how you hurt people.

Let's say your first sentence is 100% true... How does that justify the taunting and the chants?

A terrible imitation of kids trying to partake in Indian war chants. I’ve seen it in Cherokee, NC a lot. The only difference is the kids hand them dollar bills after the chant is over. I’ve always tried to sort out what exactly the worst part of the interaction is.

I didn't say it did. I just feel like we were fed a lot of lies in the beginning. I think some kids got riled up and did some stupid things. They'll probably be punished.

The guy who instigated it with a group of KIDS...what's his excuse? How would you feel if a group of men were harrassing your kids on one side, making racial and homophobic slurs, and then from the other side, someone else instigates a situation with them? With one in the second group telling the white kids to go back to Europe?

Everyone was wrong here most likely.

Then, Mr. Phillips said they were chanting "build that wall". In all the videos Ive seen, I haven't heard that chant. Was that a lie?